View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Is it good?
Poll ended at Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:21 pm
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 100%  100%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 5
 Post subject: First kids show
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:21 pm 
Penguin

Hey all I am planing a kids show with two of my friends. We are a magic triplet and we call ourselves Hat Trick. We have matching tshirts and so forth. Any way the plan is to have these tricks in are arsenal

Mouth coils (not a trick but good attention getter)
Disappearing bowl of water (not a real routine but another attention getter)
Cut and restored rope
Vanishing Yellow Bandana ( our own personal version)
Balloon Swallowing
Needle Thru Balloon
Rocky Raccoon Routine
A two hat monte
3 cup monte witn water (a must have)
PBJ illusion
Circle and Square( Custom made big one)
So just want some input from you all to see what you think. And we have patter for all of these. The show is not till March 29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:56 pm 
Penguin

My first thought is probably what everyone else will be thinking.
Don’t even think about doing balloon swallowing for a birthday. Word will get out and you will never get booked again.

My second thought is that you have way to much material. Even more so because you have three people. The whole point of having an act with more then one person is that you play off each other. This could mean that the whole show you would only need to do one or two tricks with the rest being comedy between the trio and the audience.

One more thought is that there will probably be very little money to spread around if you start performing often. There is a cap that birthday parents will pay. Even if you are at the top of your market you will each be earning less then the guy nowhere near the top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:03 pm 

Glamourboy is right. Way too many things there. First of all a b'day party show should be 30 minutes. Any longer and you lose the attention span. The water bowl thing, I am assuming it is a "lotta bowl." This is an excellent trick to do. Watch Chris Capehart's "Kidden Around" DVD he has a fantastic time with it and gets the kids to yell "STOP" as he pours the water out each time.

As mentioned NO BALLOON SWALLOWING!!!! Some kid will try to imitate it and not know what he is doing. Same as any "dangerous" type of trick. I do a sword swallowing trick at adult parties but won't even think of trying it if there is one kid present. Remember FUNNY IS MONEY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:47 pm 
Penguin

glad you guys gave me feed back. I just want to put in more details this is for an elementry school for 4th graders and my friends and I our on a stage. hope that helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:32 pm 
Penguin

that makes a slight difference but only slight as three people on stage wont be as overbearing as three people in a living room. Are you creating a show that will only be seen once at this venue or are you trying to create a show that you can actually perform over and over again? Why is it only for the fourth graders? Please tell us more about your friends and yourself (age, performing experience). At the end off the day it still comes back to being funny and interaction within the trio and the audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:35 pm 
Penguin

oops double post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:50 am 
born to perform.

Try to somehow justify having three people doing magic, either through interaction with each other or some theme for the show. Otherwise, it might just look like three guys who do tricks running around onstage in a disorganized way.

For example, each of you could dress like a "professional wrestler" and do "Tag Team Magic," actually tagging each other in and out, maybe setting up some conflicts and pushing each other around...put someone in a headlock, then pull a mouthcoil out of his mouth...one guy ties the other one up...he cuts the rope to escape...then the first guy restores it...etc. Have fun with it!

It'd be a lot more interested than, "Here's Bob...and now here's Jim...and here comes Fred...and now Bob is back...etc."

And if it goes over really well, you can send me a check for my consulting fee. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:18 pm 
born to perform.

I can just imagine it, the "hat trick" running around in their matching t-shirts doing mindless trick after trick. There is no reason you need 10 different effects for a kid show.

Post subject: Re: First kids show
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:25 pm 
born to perform.

trexdude wrote:
Hey all I am planing a kids show with two of my friends. We are a magic triplet and we call ourselves Hat Trick. We have matching tshirts and so forth. Any way the plan is to have these tricks in are arsenal

Mouth coils (not a trick but good attention getter)
Disappearing bowl of water (not a real routine but another attention getter)
Cut and restored rope
Vanishing Yellow Bandana ( our own personal version)
Balloon Swallowing
Needle Thru Balloon
Rocky Raccoon Routine
A two hat monte
3 cup monte witn water (a must have)
PBJ illusion
Circle and Square( Custom made big one)
So just want some input from you all to see what you think. And we have patter for all of these. The show is not till March 29

You need to cut the show down to no more than 45minutes.
Since you should have enough patter to make the effects interesting and fun for the kids, you'll need to cut about 50% of the show out.