View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Openers/Closers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:03 pm 
born to perform.

Typically, you want a big, bang, boom for both your openers and closers. But I want to try:

Disappearing Cane as an opener (you have silks and confetti. It'll make a boom!) You many also use the disappearing cane for openers in any shows.

A rope routine - my routine of Professors nightmare and 3 ropes and a baby as a closer.

If you have any suggestions, please put them out!

Post subject: Re: Openers/Closers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:44 pm 
born to perform.

SirJonIV wrote:
Typically, you want a big, bang, boom for both your openers and closers.

This is not necessarily true, particularly for openers for kids shows. What's far more important in kids shows that opening with a "big, bang, boom" is connecting with the kids, creating a relationship, establishing that you are all there to have fun, and getting them laughing. Of course, there's also the importance of warm-ups...ways to accomplish those objectives before any magic actually happens. The sudden surprise of a Disappearing Cane might initially grab their attention, but it doesn't establish an enduring connection.

I've used a variety of things for "openers," including the Flower Wallet, the Crystal Tube (aka Blow Tie), Acrobatic Silks, a Blendo, or the Dream Bag (part of a silent routine done to music). No "big,bang, boom" in any of those pieces, really...but lots of fun, interaction, humor, and opportunity to connect with the audience and let them know what they are in for. Of course, the presentations I use have a lot to do with that, as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:55 pm 
born to perform.

I do understand what you're saying Caffeinator, and I'm rethinking about the disappearing cane.

I'll keep researching, and come up with something!

Anyone else have anything to add?

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:29 pm 
born to perform.

A warm up is probably the single most important thing you can do to ensure your show starts off with the reaction you are looking for. Typically, it takes kids several minutes..up to ten to feel comfortable around a stranger.
Their reactions to your show if you jump out with your effects may not be all that entusiastic until they warm up to your character. You need to sell yourself before you actually start your show.
I start my warm up the minute I walk thru the door. Once you have them warmed (sold) on you, it will be like taking candy from a baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:26 pm 
born to perform.

I totally get what you're saying, sluggo. So, pretty much I can perform anything as an "opening trick" but first I have to connect with the kids and have them warm up to me.

I think I'll pick up SS and Ken Scott's Making the Birthday Dough to obtain further information on it.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:28 am 
born to perform.

Don't ever be afraid to research, or to be different. You don't have to do the same things a lot of magicians do. Go out and search for the less obvious. Its what I have been working/searching on. I like looking for those things that maybe kids haven't seen before. Its not always easy coming up with stuff, and it takes a lot of time just nosing around-- but its worth it.

That doesn't mean that my daughter's routine doesn't have the old traditional standbys, it just means we are also trying to incorporate ideas less known.

Probably not explaining this as well as I could be---- the most important this to remember is that magic is an art. Enjoy learning about the art, instead of quick self-indulgence, and you will get so much more out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:11 pm 
born to perform.

My warm up is mostly no magic at all, but with a little magic thrown in. Before the show I split the room into two half's. Then in my warm up I have each half have a cheering contest with each other, then see how loud they can cheer together. For the (itsy bitsy) amount of magic, I say a story about when I was a kid and was called up by a magician - all I remember was that his breath stank. So I go into a little "breath testing" routine I came up with (wilting rose).

After that warm up, the kid's were like putty in my hands, and both the kids and I had a great time.

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:30 am 
born to perform.

ayli wrote:
My warm up is mostly no magic at all, but with a little magic thrown in. Before the show I split the room into two half's. Then in my warm up I have each half have a cheering contest with each other, then see how loud they can cheer together. For the (itsy bitsy) amount of magic, I say a story about when I was a kid and was called up by a magician - all I remember was that his breath stank. So I go into a little "breath testing" routine I came up with (wilting rose).
After that warm up, the kid's were like putty in my hands, and both the kids and I had a great time.

Hope this helps!

Actually, that's been around for years.
Sir john, I'll Pm you about the warm up. They are really important to start your show off on a positive note.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:41 am 
born to perform.

Alright, sluggo. Much appreciated!

btw, it's sir jon, not sir john.

Thanks a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:08 am 
Emperor Penguin

The first effect I do for a kids show is the mouth coils. That's after the warm ups that I do, which are traditional warm-ups. A lot of screaming from the kids, and byplay. Just to get it out of them.

The mouth coils I use as an object to set my stage. They are used as a boundary line. Which is nothing new that I came up with, it's a common use for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:52 pm 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
The first effect I do for a kids show is the mouth coils. That's after the warm ups that I do, which are traditional warm-ups. A lot of screaming from the kids, and byplay. Just to get it out of them.

The mouth coils I use as an object to set my stage. They are used as a boundary line. Which is nothing new that I came up with, it's a common use for them.

great idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:56 pm 
born to perform.

mikeoo92 wrote:
fallingblood wrote:

great idea!

mikeoo, just keep in mind that because he is doing it does not mean you have to. You need to find what is right for you.

I, for instance, use a mouth coil as my finale.

Ben Winter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:59 pm 
Penguin

curlyclimber222 wrote:
mikeoo92 wrote:
fallingblood wrote:

great idea!

mikeoo, just keep in mind that because he is doing it does not mean you have to. You need to find what is right for you.

Ben Winter

Yeah, how do you present a mouth coil good?
I mean I herd someone say thay use the gum mouth coil as a contest with the kids to see who can stretch there gum the farthest.
what kind of mouth coil do you use? And how to you represent it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:03 pm 
Emperor Penguin

An idea I heard from here from Sirbrad is to go up to a kid and tell them their tag is hanging out (assuming you have white mouth coils), and offer to put it back in for them. Then pull out a 50' tag! I tried it out on my brother... it's hilarious.

Or you could just say you've been sick or something, and pull it out. The only problem I see with that is the parents might make the assumption that you really have been sick... and that wouldn't go over well considering you're in close contact with their children! Just something to think about...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:07 pm 
born to perform.

mikeoo92 wrote:
curlyclimber222 wrote:
mikeoo92 wrote:
fallingblood wrote:

great idea!

Ben Winter

Yeah, how do you present a mouth coil good?
I mean I herd someone say thay use the gum mouth coil as a contest with the kids to see who can stretch there gum the farthest.
what kind of mouth coil do you use? And how to you represent it?

I am not going to tell you my routine, because it will ruin your ideas with trying to use one, and i have spent time with this one and don't like handing out too often. But i will tell you, that it uses a 25 foot cresey (sp?) mouth coil. With 25 feet you can make it look like much more. If you pull it out really quickly, then yes it will look like 25 feet, perhaps even less. If you pull it out slowly, keep it in the air, and do a lot of acting with it, then you can make it look a lot longer.

Ben Winter

Ben Winter