View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Balloon swallowing for children?
Yes 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
No 81%  81%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:40 pm 
Penguin

ukcop wrote:
mikeoo92 wrote:
I am a babysitter, i just didnt want to mention that...

RIght, so surely you know how to control kids then?

Also i wouldnt call it girlyish as such, more dangerous for a boy nearly 16 years old.

Im sorry but you cant perform and expect respect for kids as little as just 3 years below you.

I am nearly 16...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:44 pm 
born to perform.

Right, do you know how dangerous that can be then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:48 pm 
Emperor Penguin

mikeoo92 wrote:
Ok I plane on reading allot more on kid magic.
I am guessing that maybe I am getting stage magic confused along with kid magic right?
That would really be for the best. Different ages require different things. You can't group all kids into one category. You have to understand how their minds work. Different age groups will see an effect differently. I once did an effect where I made an origami butterfly actually seem as if it was flying. I did it for a three year old though, and he wasn't impressed. The reason for this is because butterflies fly. So it was no big deal. I did the same effect for his brother, who is 12, and the reaction was completely different. He was very impressed by it.
Quote:
anyways
my experience with kid magic is

age- 9-12
How old are the children at the school going to be? I ask as it could be a problem, if they aren't 9-12 year olds. I explained this above. School shows can be quite difficult. Especially if you are working with a variety of ages. Personally, I do school assemblies where I mix magic and comedy into presentations talking about drug and alcohol prevention, as well as prevention of bullies. Many times, I will be performing for K-6th grades (all of the elementary school). Keeping the attention of all of those kids can be a difficult task. However, if you know what you're doing, it can be done. Which is why it's essential you do more research. I know it's been repeated over and over again, but it's something that is very important if you plan on ever succeeding.

Quote:
were- neighbors birthdays partys (those were for free)
Those may not be the best places to base how good you did. Your neighbors probably know your family, and are probably friends with your family (or at least friendly). Which means the feedback you get is somewhat sugar-coated. Talk to some local libraries. Get some free shows set-up there. Talk to local book stores (many times they have times of the day which they would gladly except a magician coming in and performing for the little kids). This way you have strangers coming in. They will be honest with you. And you need the honesty. Also, it's always worth trying to find local children magicians in your area. If you can, go to some of their shows. See how they perform, and take notes. Then ask them questions. Get as much information as possible.

Quote:
how many-about 8 different actual shows.
How do you do about 8 shows? Was one only part of a show, or a fake show?
Quote:
some of the effects I did were penut butter and jelly illusion,
hummer card, d'lites, super chair,
mostly levitations.
normally i would pick one helper. I would look for the quietest shiest kid there, and ask for his help. Then that would be at the first part of the show. and he would do a little trick like if i needed a cane for dancing cane.
Picking on the quietest, shiest kid, in my opinion, is a mistake. Pick on someone who wants to be up there. Pick on someone who won't be negatively effected by helping you out. Shy kids can have big problems with being in front of a lot of people. They can have panic attacks. They can wet their pants from being nervous. They can burst out into tears because they feel awkward being up there. Don't put the kids through unnecessary stress. Pick people who want to participate.

Also, don't do too many levitations. After a couple of levitations, it looks the same. It gets boring. People want to see other things. Switch it up a little.

Quote:
(before hand i would tell him what to do when he got on stage) and i would ask him for a cane and he would do appearing cane. then I would just use the dancing cane.
Personally, I think this is a horrible idea. You're putting a lot of responsibility on a little kid. The appearing cane can be a tricky item to use. Especially for a kid who has never done magic before. Plus, it allows a lot of opportunity for a mistake in your show. What if he exposes the effect? What if he purposely screws you up? What if he can't make it work? What it he sets it off too early? What if he doesn't understand what you want him to do? Personally, I think it's a horrible idea. Also, if you just made a cane appear, why would you go to another one to make it dance? It doesn't make much sense to me. It just seems like it would be awkward to make a cane appear, set it down, and pick up another cane in order to do a different trick.

After your last post, I would suggest postponing your show indefinitely. Wait until next school year.

Last edited by fallingblood on Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:50 pm 
Emperor Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
Picking on the quietest, shiest kid, in my opinion, is a mistake. Pick on someone who wants to be up there. Pick on someone who won't be negatively effected by helping you out. Shy kids can have big problems with being in front of a lot of people. They can have panic attacks. They can wet their pants from being nervous. They can burst out into tears because they feel awkward being up there. Don't put the kids through unnecessary stress. Pick people who want to participate.

Exactly what I said... just not as in-depth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:56 pm 
Penguin

adjones wrote:
fallingblood wrote:

Exactly what I said... just not as in-depth.

yeah earlyer i said i should repost what i said. I dont look for the shiest kid.
i should of said the most responsible kid.

and also
I dont do a bunch of levetations in one show. I meant in my shows thats what i meainly do.
meaning as the finisher and such

Post subject: ukcop
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:57 pm 
born to perform.

ukcop wrote:

Hey Brit,
Are you a Cop in London? I don't get on here much anymore but I do drop in and read posts once in awhile. From your posts it looks like we have another good kid show entertainer amongst us.
Welcome!
Sluggo

Post subject: Re: ukcop
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:19 pm 
Penguin

sluggo wrote:
ukcop wrote:

Hey Brit,
Are you a Cop in London? I don't get on here much anymore but I do drop in and read posts once in awhile. From your posts it looks like we have another good kid show entertainer amongst us.
Welcome!
Sluggo

are you talking about me?
If so thanks! I have really learned
A LOT! so far here!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:25 pm 
Emperor Penguin

No, he's talking about ukcop. Duh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:43 pm 
Penguin

ukcop wrote:

how dangerious what can be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:59 am 
Penguin

Thanks a lot for your help everyone...

how old do you think "kids" should be before they can understand it and wont try it themselves. It is because my parents keep asking me for putting it in my act because they like the routine :p

once again thanks for your help

Mortenaak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:20 am 
Emperor Penguin

Mortenaak wrote:
Thanks a lot for your help everyone...

how old do you think "kids" should be before they can understand it and wont try it themselves. It is because my parents keep asking me for putting it in my act because they like the routine :p

once again thanks for your help

Mortenaak
I would say at least 16. And even there, it could be pushing it. Better be safe than sorry, and try for adult audiences of 18 and older.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:16 am 
born to perform.

I am. I work for the Metropolitan Police in London. Later this year I am coming over to do a few days with the NYPD.

I am also a magician, I do all events from barmitzvahs and and weddings, to kids shows.

What needs to be remembered is that ages 4-10 and the kids are at a copying age, ages 11-16, they are at an age where the magic is a challenge, they will try and figure it out in a lot of cases. After that it can be safer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:48 am 
born to perform.

Found a picture with our famous uniform and helmet:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:06 pm 
Penguin

hah that looks funny!

Sorry but it dose.
but i geuss in a good way :lol: :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:13 pm 
born to perform.

We dont always wear the helmet, sometimes we wear the cap, or sometimes no hat atall.

But for a duty on foot on a friday or saturday night, it gives a level of protection to the head should someone decide they want a new use for their bottle or the brick they found.

And of course the body armour against stabbings, hits, and bullets. And obviously most of us dont carry a firearm. We have armed response units that circulate london.

Last edited by ukcop on Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next