View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:02 pm 
Emperor Penguin

mikeoo92 wrote:
well, I was thinking about getting the rave card until I seen the bad reviews.

and i was thinking about ti and iam sure its way to heavy. do you own the rave?

ITs not too heavy, its made for the hummer. Its just not needed and can bring unwanted attention. ITs a waste of money.

And you should worry about grammer and spelling some. It not only makes it harder for us to read, it makes you seem immature and young.
You will get more positive and, in general, more replys.
People are less likely to bother answering you if they have a problem reading your posts. Common Sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:22 pm 
born to perform.

Okay. I hope your show goes better than i think it will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:22 pm 
Emperor Penguin

No, it's not an acceptance test. Part of being a magician is being original. That's where you come in...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:19 am 
Penguin

hazerman15 wrote:
Okay. I hope your show goes better than i think it will.

Awww, you don't think my show will go to good?
I am sure it will, because I am not new to magic. Just new to being Online.
Thank you everyone for your help. And thanks for the advise David!
I plan on being more active here!
and after the show ill post a video of the show and mayby you can tell me anything i did wrong or anything like that!

Thanks agine everyone!

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:01 pm 
born to perform.

You cant be that experienced, your mum is filming it, its your first PAYED? show, and you cant spell. You are using innapropriate tricks in general for a good kids show and asking for advice just one month before.

Problem is these kids have never really seen a real kids magiciain since they were 6 and so think their show went well, when infact it sucked, but put up a video, and i am prepared to be proved wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:12 pm 
Penguin

Ok I will put up a video probably in this thread.
I have a video of me doing other tricks if you wana see.
for real I have been doing magic for about 4 years but I am just now getting more into it.

And I did not ask if i could do a show I (was) asked by someone else if I would do a show for them...

-edit
here watch this its just me doing factory sealed in front of my webcam.

But a webcam is not portable and can not film me doing tricks to people on the street
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YUooNj3xl40

i know the bottole almost gose out of fram for like 2 seconds but as you all know that has nothing to do with how its done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:01 pm 

mikeoo92 wrote:
for real I have been doing magic for about 4 years but I am just now getting more into it.
And I did not ask if i could do a show I (was) asked by someone else if I would do a show for them...
-edit
But a webcam is not portable and can not film me doing tricks to people on the street
i know the bottole almost gose out of fram for like 2 seconds but as you all know that has nothing to do with how its done.

Learn to use spell check. Your posts are so hard to read that I, and other of the older people here, will not bother to try to help you. Your posts are just too hard to understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:35 pm 
Penguin

Paddy,
I have been told that quite a few times.
I am sorry, I am now takeing more time to write my posts.
People I now i should spell check my posts. Please do not tell me this any more.
I understand ok.
seems almost as a joke now.
that its fun to pick on grammerly impaired people. Not that iam Grammerly impaired or anything just that its a keyboard and not a pencil. Its a little different to me, instead of writing a comma iam looking for the comma or the shift button.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:32 pm 
Penguin

just because you were asked to do a show does not mean you are ready to do one.

Also playing with magic for four years (or decades for that matter) does not make you an entertainer or a magician. Case in point myself I was able to develop a decent show only six months after I started learning magic. This is not due to spending hours and hours playing with magic (although i did) it was due to experience in performing in other fields and a determination to succeed.

What film have you actually studied on performance and what experience do you have performing? Performing a card trick for your friends is nowhere near the same as performing a platform or stage show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:39 am 
Emperor Penguin

Wait, did I miss something.. I thought you were an elementary school student as well. Thats how all your post struck me. I thought this was for your class or some BS. Not a real show.
If you had been more specific from the get go, I am sure my posts would be different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:52 am 
born to perform.

mikeoo92 wrote:

-edit

I was not overly impressed here. Try speaking yourself, not with editing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:12 am 
Emperor Penguin

I took the time and watched the video you posted. Truthfully, it doesn't help your case. It doesn't show any presentational skills (which makes up 99% of magic), and it was performed very well. Plus, you saying that it doesn't come out of the bottle at the end is kind of silly, as the bottle is sealed. It was just a statement that didn't make any sense at all.

As for the show, I would be hesitant if I was you. I would also be very hesitant to post any videos on this site. I will address both issues.

First, you have clearly shown a lack of understanding of kids shows. This is apparent on other topics you've been a part of (for instance, the one talking about swallowing balloons at kids shows). You've shown that you don't know what type of effects should be performed at kids shows. And because of that, you run a high risk of having your show flop. Which simply is not a good way to start paying gigs. Sometimes it's best to just swallow your pride, and turn the show down, until you're better prepared.

Second, you seem to be overly sensitive, which will be bad when you post a video. If the video you've already posted is any sign of what's to come; you will be picked apart. This isn't because we're mean, it's because we're trying to help. However, you've accused many people on this site of being mean, simply because we disagree with your view point. The majority of the time, it's because we have more experience, and know what we're talking about. Many of us here are professionals and do this for a living. We've dedicated many hours to researching many different subjects, just so that we can become better at what we do. So when we give advice, we give the best advice that we know. Now this may seem a little arrogant, but the simple truth is that some of us do know better than others. Some of our advice is a lot better then others. And some of our opinions are correct, when other people's are wrong. For instance, if Paddy states something that goes against my opinion, I usually will admit that my opinion is incorrect; because I acknowledge that he knows a lot more about the business than I do. And many times I have found that he is correct. He has the experience, and with experience comes knowledge.

That's something you don't seem to understand though, and when people correct you, you accuse them of being mean. Which may really effect you once you post another video, as people will be honest with you. And if you are as sensitive as it seems, you probably will be crushed by what people have to say. So it's just kind of a heads up.

Now, I know from past experiences that kids your age most likely won't heed the warnings of the more experienced. They go and do the show anyway, ignoring the advice we give. So, as to your list. I see that you have D'lights on it. Now, you probably assume that they are just something easy that you can pick up and perform right away. However, that is a horrible assumption. To get a good D'Light routine (which honestly, I have yet seen a kid do one), it takes months of practice. A lot of people just try to make something up on the spot with them. It doesn't work. It looks crappy, and it says a lot of negative things about you as a performer. D'Lights can be a great tool, if used properly, and given the attention that they need. But do not be mistaken and think that they are something that you can do right out of the box.

Honestly, I would say just stick to what you have, and work on that. Build better presentational skills, and work on perfecting what you know. Don't worry about adding new stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:34 am 
Penguin

fallingblood

thank you for your advise. greatly about the d'lites.
i also bought the dlites dvd. and and will put together a routine i think would be good for the show.
-----------------------------------------------

Ok I understand and know that swallowing balloons for a kid show is not a good thing to do.
And i was not the one who posted this topic.
And yes i did buy some dvd's on different kinds of magic.
And yes i do have experience with kids. Just because I thought that it might have been ok to swallow a balloon for a kid show, but I realize It is not ok to swallow a balloon for a kid show
And I do understand that I am not a professional and i under stand that most people are. I would just like to someday be a professional also.
That is why i ask your guys advice.

Ok this topic was firstly a question someone had, and now its just a big long thing of nothing that dint need to happen.

I am sorry if I have caused anything wrong or anything like that.
I still would like to perform magic. Everyone makes mistakes. I am sure you all have made a few mistakes in magic also.

So is everything good?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

also i know i was not actually performing factory sealed. i just threw that together to show some of my online buddies what it looks like. and hazzerman i did not have a mic...

I also under stand that people were not being mean but I should be great full for getting professionals advise.
and as I said before I am not getting stuff i have never worked with before. But I am getting stuff of my own.
example
I have used d'lits allot for a Halloween show i did a long time ago. and I made my own routine with it. But those were not my d'lites they were my friends.
So i decided to buy my own.

also how do you think I should present the d'lites? I was thinking about useing it with the rave card, and as it gose behind my back it dose not come back around (like it vanished) and as i reach around like iam trying to grab it i active my d'lits or something.
any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:45 am 
Emperor Penguin

And I do understand that I am not a professional and i under stand that most people are. I would just like to someday be a professional also. That is why i ask your guys advice

Actually very few people here are professionals.

And you have a long way to go before you will become professional, a long way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:49 am 
born to perform.

I assume people here, at least the experienced ones can work out who i was before ukcop?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next