View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:40 pm 
Emperor Penguin

ukcop wrote:
I dont agree. Obvioulsly the stronger the effect the better the reaction with equally good presentation, but i can get a better reaction out of a dynamic coins than alot can from an acr.

Yes, presentation is important, but I feel it's only "building" on the effect, and just increasing your reactions. I still think presentation is very, very important, but I think that the effect is pretty darn important, as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:41 pm 
Penguin

i think there both equal think about it.

without the effect there is no presentation.
without the presentation there is not effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:43 pm 
born to perform.

Which is better?

I perform dynamic coins with fantastic presentation.
I perform acr with crap presentation.

Answer: Number 1

Presnetation IMO 75%, effect 25%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:57 pm 
Penguin

ukcop wrote:
Which is better?

I perform dynamic coins with fantastic presentation.
I perform acr with crap presentation.

Answer: Number 1

Presnetation IMO 75%, effect 25%

so like i could do a simple little trick
"coin vanish"
or the French drop and with great presentation it could be a mricale?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:03 pm 
Emperor Penguin

mikeoo92 wrote:
i think there both equal think about it.

without the effect there is no presentation.
without the presentation there is not effect.
Well, I have to say you're wrong. I perform a simple silk vanish. It's probably the most exposed effect out there. It's extremely simple. However, the reactions that I get with it are wonderful. Not because of the effect. The effect honestly sucks, simply because of it's mass exposure. But the presentation does everything for it.

Magicians are nothing more than actors, playing the part of a magician. That is very important to remember. We are acting. We can't do magic, we can't make things vanish. We can't levitate, we can't do the things we claim to be able to do. We are merely acting. And in doing so, we have to know how to make a great presentation.

The only effects I perform during my stage shows anymore are basic, simple effects. Nothing difficult. All very simple effects. I've even performed the needle through balloon effect, for adult audiences. However, I've never had a bad review. This is not because my magic is fantastic, because honestly, the effects aren't. It's because I know how to present them. It's because I've spent a lot of time working on the presentation. Which is why I took simple effects. I can focus more on the presentational side of my performances, instead of the technical side.

Here's another example as well. When someone asks me to do a quick effect with a deck of cards, I use a simple DL for a one phase ACR. Extremely simple. Yet, I've never had any trouble impressing people with it, because of the way I present it.

As far as I'm concerned, the magic is very little. I'm not belittling magic. I love the art. But it's all in the presentation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:08 pm 
born to perform.

I remember at police training, when we had a lecture on study skills, for whatever reason, i remember the guy asking if anyone was a magician, i didnt say anything, he proceeded to teach the french drop, it looked like a trick. After awhile he got me up and i turned a retention vanish into a miracle for everyone there including the guy who taught the french drop, its about presentation and misdirection. If they really thought hard, its not that hard to work out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:10 pm 
Penguin

ohhhhhhh ok!
I see know!
awsome! ok
when I did kaos for the first time in front of a big group of people. I almost started shaking but I took a deep breath and started acting all serious.
and as I slowly pulled the card out I step back and I acted like it was kinda hard to pull out. it took me about 1 min to pull it out. and i was constantly looking at the cards like i was concentrating on them.
and then the girl started shaking and dropped all the cards, she screamed!
and then she went home because she wasent felling good.

Is that a bad thing or a good thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:14 pm 
born to perform.

It seems david blainish, but whatever your style is i guess. If thats the reaction you are aiming for then its good, if no then its bad. I dont like to work like that, but you can work how you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:18 pm 
Penguin

well I realy liked it. I just dint want her to get sick or anything.

oh here is a good example of no presentation by David Blaine with a raven

here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:23 pm 
born to perform.

OK you still dont understand, david blaine was fantastic. What he did was great presentation, reason being, it was original. When people are like him it is unoriginal, and a cop out for having no presentation. David Blaine created a great character, but only he can use it. We all saw david blaine clips like that 5 years ago and thought he was great. He still is when you look back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:26 pm 
Penguin

so then what is an example of a bad presentation?

and a good example of a presentation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:31 am 
born to perform.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=42-lBahbAVo - Bad presentation of tricks that can be presented well, be entertaining, and not easy to work out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WWHTXuKTdp0 -Great presentation of what in my opinion is complete crap as a set, but does go to show what good presentation can do for it.

Also, never copy anyones presentation, it only works for the creator. Iv seen people try and copy, and they look stupid. You must be original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:12 am 
Penguin

ohh ok.
I dint have to watch but maybe 30 seconds of the bad presentation to figure out that he was copying someones work.

Thanks for the tip about being original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:38 am 
born to perform.

Im pretty sure he wasnt copying anyone, he was just complete crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:38 am 
Penguin

well I know I Do not act like that

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next