View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Best closer for kids shows
Miser's Dream 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Hippity Hop Rabbits 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Silks 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Peanut Butter Jelly Illusion 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:16 pm 
Emperor Penguin

TheCaffeinator has given a lot of good information.

Personally, I have a basic outline for my shows. I do the same general routines; however, I do throw in additional stuff from time to time. I also allow for a lot of improv. I'm more of an impromptu speaker, which then effects my magic. I have a basic outline for my show, as in I know the routines, effects, gags, etc that I'm going to use. But the order in which they are used changes from show to show. I do recommend this for every performer, because it doesn't work for everyone. For me, I've found that it's the best option, and it has improved my shows drastically.

I would have to agree that it's probably not the best idea to completely redo your show just for one client, unless they specifically state that they want a custom show. It would be wise to switch up the show a little bit though. Instead of performing the show exactly the same every time, maybe throw in different jokes or something. I say this mainly if you have repeat customers. If you are doing shows for the same group of people over and over again (which is a possibility if you do a birthday party, and other parents liked what they saw), it can get boring if the kids end up seeing the same exact show over and over again. It's not something you have to worry about a lot though. It could just be a good idea to throw in a little extra here and there. Which usually happens automatically anyway with the byplay with the kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:22 pm 
born to perform.

Fallingblood gave you some excellent advice, as always....

one small correction (hope you don't mind Fallingblood!), but since you are under 18 you cannot legally sign a contract as it is not binding. What we do for my daughter is to send out an "Engagement Letter" or confirmation letter. It basically just outlines the information as you understand it. It shows that you are professional, even at a younger age. Remember, aside from the fun aspect, this is a business and should be treated as such.

Now, you may have a difficult time getting insurance since you are a minor. My daughter also ran into this problem. She is insured by Performers of the US.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:32 pm 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:
Instead of performing the show exactly the same every time, maybe throw in different jokes or something.

This is a very important point and speaks to the difference between changing your list of tricks and changing the manner in which those tricks are presented. There have been situations in which I have presented a similar set of tricks to separate audiences of children and adults. In both situations, though some of the tricks were the same, the presentation was dramaticly different. I have multiple scripts for a number of my most often-used tricks, which enables me to perform them for different groups and different situations. Theoretically, you can do that for an entire act (and I did at one time), but I don't recommend it. As well, there is always a bit of improv in my shows in that the specifics of my patter are affected by my immediate interaction with the audience. In magic, there is almost always room for spontaneous by-play within the structure of a scripted routine; however, professional magicians do not, as a general rule, make up their entire show as they go along, which "casual magicians" tend to do.

Last edited by TheCaffeinator on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:07 pm 
Penguin

This might be the most informative thread that I have read on this forum. Thanks a lot guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:50 am 
Penguin

fallingblood I have heard in other posts that agents are a pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:28 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Agents have their pros and cons. Personally, I do deal with agents. Getting into some comedy clubs, it just becomes much easier to deal with agents and get the bookings through them. Some comedy clubs only deal through agents.

I also work with a couple of local talent agents. I do so simply because they are able to get my name out there, and it saves me a lot of time and hassle. They also end up bringing quite a few shows my way, because they have been established in the community for quite some time.

I still do the majority of my bookings though. I really only deal with agents for special venues, like comedy clubs, and schools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:07 am 
Penguin

andrewlevino wrote:
I'm 17 and I have been doing magic for about 3 years, as far as performing goes, it would be my first, but I have been doing restaurant and walkaround for about 5 or 6 months for very little money. I live in Connecticut in a rich town. I try to stay away from gimicks because I believe that doing tricks with a regular deck or coins is more impressive than using gimicks, and that is what got me the rspect and birthday party offer.
hi! i live very close to farfeild, and i have been doingmagic for about 4 years, im in 7th grade, but to get a show, try spreading some flyers in windsheilds. its easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:24 am 
Emperor Penguin

Sailor15797 wrote:
andrewlevino wrote:
I'm 17 and I have been doing magic for about 3 years, as far as performing goes, it would be my first, but I have been doing restaurant and walkaround for about 5 or 6 months for very little money. I live in Connecticut in a rich town. I try to stay away from gimicks because I believe that doing tricks with a regular deck or coins is more impressive than using gimicks, and that is what got me the rspect and birthday party offer.
hi! i live very close to farfeild, and i have been doingmagic for about 4 years, im in 7th grade, but to get a show, try spreading some flyers in windsheilds. its easy.

You know how much people hate those? Ever wonder why so many places dont allow people to do that?
I would personally not go to a show, if informed by a paper in my windsheild; for 2 main reasons-
1. Its annoying, its one more piece of trash that I know have to take care of.
2. I usually dont even read them.... because they are trash.

Its like your saying "here, you throw this away."

But thats just me, and a whole bunch of other people I know.

Post subject: have to use a four letter word
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:12 pm 
Penguin

It's funny.Look at the most capable presenters in this topic. Look at the reasoned, mannered responses and the appreciation shown to senior,experienced and continuing learners.
Look for responses from the immature thread bearers who haunt this site.
The four letter word is WORK..it's taking the time..it's being frustrated..it's not getting it..it's having doubt...it's being nervous on stage with a new routine. It's called having the grit to see it through.
Read The Java man's solid lessons on writing...do you see the craft..do you see all the WORK?
The routines have to begin with a web..rough draft and final draft(open to eternal editing). The routine must be practiced aloud.
With respect, ron0

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:46 pm 
born to perform.

Andrew,
Cards and coins will not carry you thru a Kid's show, so do some studying on the subject to see what fits your way of performing. There are numerous books and DVD's out there that will get you there but- you have to make the effort to sit down and put a QUALITY show together before you accept anymore shows.
Because one bomb show could do a lot of damage to your rep. Starting out it will take you months to get everything together and get a good show going.
Study-study-study and then practice it many times over.