View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:27 pm 

Ben, the pencil idea is not good. You get 48 items for $10. That's $0.48 each. Well done picture style business cards will cost you about $60, let's say $70 for 1000. That's about $0.07 each. Which one is more cost effective.

there are a LOT of marketing methods out there. Start reading and studying marketing books to learn about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:30 pm 
Penguin

i dont want to just say to the kids heres my card and give it to them. They will probably just throw it out. Any suggestion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:52 pm 
born to perform.

Like Paddy stated I would not give pencils to everyone personally.

I know I said that I would not tell you what my daughter does for giveaways, but I will tell you that she does give out 2 pencils during the actual magic show; total cost 40 cents for both. They are given away as part of her act. These are given to her volunteers and they are imprinted with her web site address. For her new show she has something for each child to take home, cost .05 cents each. She also does a "big" giveaway to the birthday child, which again, is very cost effective to us at around $3.00+/-, athough it would appear much more costly. Its all about knowing how to buy and when to buy. She has a very unique way of presenting her business cards to the moms that goes over very well. For the dads, she uses Mark Wilson's Stockholder, and always "wows" them with that. They always go away scratching their heads. Remember to charm the moms, they are usually the ones that are going to hire you-- and that is coming from a mom herself. Dads rarely (sorry to all you dads out there) get involved in the party planning.

You'll be making a big mistake by handing out the cards to the children, it is the parents you want to target. Kids do love getting autographs though and she is always available after the show to sign autographs and take pictures if someone asks. She uses postcards for this. She also uses the postcards as part of her marketing. She does not hand out her cards to the children because it would be a waste, with the exception of the "big" gift, which has her card tied to it with colorful ribbons, very securely. (Again, more to impress the mom) A mom loves to see their child with a big grin and smiling-- accomplish that and you are one step ahead. When asking "mommie" to remove the tags--- it is once again putting a reminder into the mom's head of what a thoughtful gift-- which never hurts later in the tip factor!

Her business cards, full color, printed front AND back run $49.95 for 1000. If you want only one-sided cards it is only $39.95. Paddy, give me a PM and I'll give you the name of the company-- they are very reasonable, very quick turnaround, and good customer service. They've printed business cards and postcards for me and I've been really happy with them. I've given the name out to a few magician and business friends of mine and they've been very happy as well with their quality. :wink:

I realize that you are young, but doing birthday shows is more than doing magic. It is being a businessman, even if only at 14. This is why it would be helpful if your parents would help get involved to assist you. Ask them to mentor you. Even if your parents aren't interested in the magic side of it, they may be more interested in helping you with the business side of it as they may take it more as a "life's lesson".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:28 pm 
Penguin

thanks. so after someone comes up in the show, your daughter just gives thema pencil? also, what is stock holder? is giving the birthday child a magic wand good? or somehting like making a teddy bear appear from a production box? where did you make the webstite? i really want to make a website and does your daughter have a promo video on her site? Thanks

ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:15 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
thanks. so after someone comes up in the show, your daughter just gives thema pencil?

No, she does not just "give them" a pencil. It is part of her act. There is a fine line in what you are asking. She doesn't just hand them a pencil and say, "here". She incorporates the way she presents it into her act, making it part of her show. There are sublties that you are going to have to learn. Also, the way she gives it out she manages to once again also "get her name out".

Quote:

also, what is stock holder?

Okay, now that is just too easy. I gave you all the information you need to figure that one out on your own. Consider THAT homework! Except I will make a correction-- I said Mark Wilson earlier (who is a really sweet man we had the opportunity to meet not long ago along with his wife and partner Nani), but I meant to say Gregory Wilson (who is sooo funny and charming, totally loved him and had a great time meeting him) . Sorry for the mis-type.

Quote:

where did you make the webstite

I custom designed her website myself. It matches all her other promotional material for continuity. I have it hosted by Yahoo Web Hosting, which I believe to be pretty reasonable. Whatever you do, please do not get a free website that has ads on it. If you are going to do a website, PLEASE pay for the domain and ad-free space.

Quote:
does your daughter have a promo video on her site

Absolutely! They are just short snippets, but it gives them an idea of what she does. Please do not ask for the website or previews of the videos, I do not share them here. Females have not always been treated with the respect that they deserve on the forum and I will not subject my daughter to that here, nor to any of the teenage boys that frequent here. I have shared videos with two of my adult magicians friends here, but that is all. If you want to know if she has passed their critiques, the answer is "yes".

Post subject: Newbies and requests for aids
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:50 pm 
Penguin

Point taken,Paddy. Pity..I had hoped top see you at Cinci.
Now I hesitate to ask you the next question after the recent post wrangle on religion * and Edited folks**.
A vent..I'm not surprised. So as Sluggo asked me..what's your figure like **? :wink: As Borders would say, hard or soft headed?
Secondly, ooh..the term magi * ( as in Zoroastrianism visitors):wink:
Paddy, have you tried to do tricks like broken rope; or change bag with your vent figure in one hand?
Another question for the rope through the neck effect, would I have to have Bern wear a high collar shirt?
As you probably know my little,Irish history book is now in second printing. Thank you morticians for your lovely sponsorships.
I know many of the traditional Mick church shows which are many decades if not over a century old. Fabulous clean one liners and political skits and jokes which skewer husbands. I believe the Irish are now the only nationality one can now do jokes about. 'Course no one does better Irish jokes than a mick in a hall full of micks packed to the roof with babies and grandparents.Ahh. ..it's grand! here's some water from the cold part of my well.Sure last night's wake in town(really was) was a grand time..with the 4th's all rigged up and my friend such a clean looking corpse. God the arguments we had had about D Day! You were a good man,Helmut ron0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:13 pm 

I have Willy the possum and a new one that isd a macaw, NOT Axtell's I can't afford the $4000! This one Kristen told me about her daughter starting to bring into the act. I checked it out and bought one myself. Still working on a routine with it, I figure I'll have it in the show in about 2 months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:46 pm 
born to perform.

Ben,

I have to say it's really nice that you are listening to others and carrying on a real conversation about doing kids shows. I am highly impressed. The key to give aways for kids shows is how you are going to get said item into the hands of the parents. Because they are the ones who are going to call you. Purchase for yourself or type up the instructions to an effect that is easy to do. Give the handout to the kids at the end of the show and tell them to have their parents help them with the effect. Along with the effect on the flier you need to offer a few things. A number to where someone could contact you should you decide they want to book you. An email address also. With the effect offer the same information and be willing to answer any questions if someone (parents included) should find the trick difficult. I am not going to give you an effect. But you should look for one that is magical, you can use in your act, does not give any major magical principals away, is in the public domain and simple to perform without any gimmicks or anything extra to buy!

Good luck and have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:01 pm 
Penguin

Thanks, so i think what you said is to write up how to do a trick and give a copy to all the kids. Am i understanding what you said? Also, what do you do? just say at the end of the show, heres how to do a trick and give it to them? Also, do you have any suggestions for an effect. Thanks a lot.
I was thinking about making a stuffed rabbit appear that has my business card attached somehow and make it appear and give it to the borthday child as a present. How does that sound? (the bunny is very cheap)
Thanks

ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:22 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
Also, do you have any suggestions for an effect

Re-read his post Ben, Adam said, "I am not going to give you an effect". Everyone is willing to help and wants to help you succeed, but that doesn't mean everyone is going to hand you all the answers. Part of learning is doing the research-- in the end, you will learn so much more that way and be a better magician because of it.

Also, is the bunny cheap or is it inexpensive? There is a difference. Cheap will cheapen your show; whereas inexpensive just means you were a savvy buyer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:29 pm 
Penguin

inexpensive from orielntal trading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:39 pm 
born to perform.

Here's my tip buying suggestion on bunnies: I wait until after Easter when everything is on sale. I pay anywhere from 50 cents to $3 for a rabbit. I've gotten up to 90% off. I have two bags full of fluffy, cuddly, bunnies just waiting for a little girl or boy to love. I will only buy quality bunnies to give away. If it doesn't look nice, feel good, it isn't being given out. You have to remember everything reflects on YOU and the quality of your show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:49 pm 
Penguin

yup. And you know how we were talking about giving out the secret to a trick. Does that mean a trick you did or just a random trick that is cool. Also, if i were to do that, would i incorporate it into my show by giving it to them at some point or just give it to them after the show? I dont know if i love that idea. Thanks.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:52 pm 
Penguin

i think i might just stick with giving tattoos and a bunny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:09 pm 
born to perform.

This would be a better subject to bring up with Adam than myself. Everyone has different views on the subject, and that is what makes the world so interesting-- different opinions and ideas.

Personally, for me, I like leaving kids with the concept that magic is just that "magic". Therefore that would not be the type of giveaway that would personally work with our show, because we don't want to put the emphasis that magic is a "trick". You will never hear my daughter ever use the word "trick" in her show either.

However, some magicians use this type of giveaway quite successfully. It is all the image you want to portray, which follows back on the type of show you have, your character, etc.

Talk with Adam, get his ideas & feedback-- but also do your homework so he knows you are putting yourself out there and working at it! You're 14, in highschool, some of these answers you need to research!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next