View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What to wear?
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:55 pm 
Penguin

What do you wear to a kids party?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:00 pm 
born to perform.

In the past my daughter has always worn a suit. This has proved a bit too warm in the summer however so she will be trading it in for just her suit slacks, a dance performance top that is red, sparkly, and sleeveless, and a cute short black vest that she needs for obvious reasons! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:13 pm 
Penguin

ok thanks, do you know where i can get a cheap vest? also, i know a 9 or 10 year old magician in my area that has been hired before!!!!! he charged 100 for a 30 minute show i think but it was walk-around for adults. how much would you charge for walk-around magic for adults?? thanks ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:28 pm 
born to perform.

I can't tell you price. Price is determined by what other magicians in your area are getting. My daughter's price was set by her then-SYM leader at the time before moving up into the adult group. He evaluated her show, the length of show, and determined her price. She has always done a 15 minute show (this summer she will be introducing her new 30 minute show) and she charged $75.00. Of course on top of that she has always been tipped, so she has never made less than $100.00 for a 15 minute show.

What you never want to do is undersell magicians in your area. It will not make you very well liked, nor will it get you any help in the future. Remember, you may need those friend in the future! What if you fall ill, and can't make a show? You have to have a backup partners to work with it and if undersell their shows you aren't going to get the help you need! What you never want to do is cancel a show at the last minute and not be able to offer your client a replacement magician.

As to walk around magic my daughter doesn't do it. Oh, she has a few pocket tricks she does to the adults, and some for the kids, at the parties but she bills herself as a stage performer/parlor magician and does not do walkaround. She sticks to what she likes best and works on that to be her personal best.

As to a vest, again-- couldn't tell you since it would all depend on the shops in your area. Since you are male, I would suggest the Mens Warehouse. My daughter just bought hers at the local mall at Macys.

Quote:

i know a 9 or 10 year old magician in my area that has been hired before!!!!!

Getting hired is the easy part---- getting re-hired is where it gets tricky. Anyone can get their first chance at something, its waiting for the phone to ring to get the callback that lets you know whether or not you really did your job.

Edit: You may not NEED a vest, my daughter does as part of her act, but that doesn't mean your act will require one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:32 pm 
Penguin

i just want to look proffesional and "fun" for the kids both at the same time. If my parents arent as willing as yours like not signing me up for the SYM... how do i meet magicians in my area and how do i become friendly with them? (so i can use them as a back-up and they can use me as one also and just to talk with them about upscaling my performance....
Thanks

ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:15 pm 
born to perform.

If you want to see how I dress, check out THIS VIDEO. It's not one of my better performances, but you get the point!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:37 pm 
born to perform.

Dress according to your character. Are you serious, silly, ect..

Last edited by coendog13 on Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:08 pm 
Penguin

do you know where i can get a top hat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:10 pm 
born to perform.

Jessicamagic wrote:
do you know where i can get a top hat?

Any costume store should have it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:14 pm 
Penguin

thanks and i like what you wear. black with a red tie and also i like the hat with rabbit. you have osme pretty nice neighbors. (i read another post about that.) thanks

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:18 pm 
Penguin

I use to always get dressed up in a full suit with a vest and jacket... it was really unnecessary and just got really hot to be in.
right now I dress casual. I wear dress khakis (dockers) that have one cargo pocket on each leg. makes it easy to ditch certain items. I wear a solid color polo. That style of clothing works best because I do events everywhere. I will perform events inside and outside on the same day so I have to wear something that will not be too hot for outside nor too casual for inside. That seems to fit me the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:39 am 

Ben, Coendog13 pointed out the ONLY thing you have to know about attire. Keep in character. I have 2 different shows that I do for kids, one is performed as Paddy The Clown, and the other is by Professor Paddy. The effects are the same in both shows, but in one I am in full make up and in my clown costume. The magic happens and it astounds my character, he always wonders how did that appear, or where did those silks go to.

Professor Paddy is dressed in an old time Medicine man way. The effects happen because he sprays a little of his "Ancient Irish Pain Killer and Tonic" on the item and BOOM it changes.

Dress acording to your character and do NOT use the patter that came with the trick. Write you own patter as your character would talk.