View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:30 pm 
born to perform.

Okay so you have some experience. That's good. Now you have to look at what can be applied towards a children's show. What routines do you currently have that will work for a children's party, etc.

My daughter uses a lot of different facets from her stage show in her birthday parties show. Obviously not everything translates over. You can't very well take a large stage prop, but smaller things do work well. Just think of all the different shows you have done and do some cross-over.

I find that keeping a notebook around and jotting down ideas always helps. Any time I come up with anything magic, large or small, into the notebook it goes. Later when I'm looking for new ideas I refer to my notebook to see if anything will fit into the new show I am working on.

Together my daughter and I design all her shows. Start to finish. Never use someone else's material as you want your show to be as original as possible. Even when buying a trick, see how you can change it around to meet your own individual style.

I always listen to our friends ideas when they have feedback. Luckily, we have some GREAT friends who we trust that can offer us valuable insight. However, even then you have to own your own routine and do what feels right for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:51 pm 

I have been priveliged enough that I have seen videos of Kristen's daughter's various shows. The only thing I can say is LISTEN TO THE WOMAN!!!!! I have a very hard time believing that her daughter is 15 yrs old because she has a show that looks like she has been performing for 15 years. the timing, the movements, the words, everything fits in so perfectly that all i can do is just be astounded at the quality of her performance.

The reason it all fits so well is that it is Kristen's daughter's act. She developed around her personality and her abilities. She didn't borrow from any other performer she makes every effect HERS. I fully expect to see her win the Young Magician of the Year award plus the Lance Burton Young magician award very soon. It would not surprise me to see her at the Magic Castle as a performer next year.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:50 pm 
born to perform.

<blush> We appreciate your very sweet comments. My daughter was laying on the couch (she's a little under the weather) and when I read her your comments she smiled happily-- thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:28 am 
Penguin

Maloney123 wrote:
Bicycle12 wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:
Bicycle12 wrote:
I recently watched a kids magician at a local library. He has a nice routine about catching reading bugs. He does balloon animals first, then magic. He does a quick appearing wand, them into sponge balls. He then does Bill Abbot's The Thing, and then into professor's nightmare. He then does a ripped and restored newspaper, and I believe he ends with Chris Capehart's Miser's Dream routine. Not sure of the order, but those are the tricks he does for a 45 minute show. You could adjust the patter and shorten the routine for however long the show should be.

I just took a look at this. Does it involve only coins?

Yes. I talked to him after the show and he showed me how the stuff works. It is just coins and a normal bucket. Hope that isn't exposure.

Thats not exposure. Thanks for the help.

Yeah. Exposure is like (if a trick was ACTUALLY done by invisibly passing coins through your hands) telling people that it is done by invisibly passing coins through your hands. I guess this is kind of a bad example seeing as they would never believe you anyways but still...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:41 am 
born to perform.

metzykid wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:
Bicycle12 wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:
Bicycle12 wrote:
I recently watched a kids magician at a local library. He has a nice routine about catching reading bugs. He does balloon animals first, then magic. He does a quick appearing wand, them into sponge balls. He then does Bill Abbot's The Thing, and then into professor's nightmare. He then does a ripped and restored newspaper, and I believe he ends with Chris Capehart's Miser's Dream routine. Not sure of the order, but those are the tricks he does for a 45 minute show. You could adjust the patter and shorten the routine for however long the show should be.

I just took a look at this. Does it involve only coins?

Yes. I talked to him after the show and he showed me how the stuff works. It is just coins and a normal bucket. Hope that isn't exposure.

Thats not exposure. Thanks for the help.

Yeah. Exposure is like (if a trick was [b]ACTUALLY done by invisibly passing coins through your hands) telling people that it is done by invisibly passing coins through your hands. I guess this is kind of a bad example seeing as they would never believe you anyways but still...[/b]

Kids would believe you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:03 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Waiting as a final load under a very large set of cups. It is dark......
I didn't know if it was exposure because some routines use gimmicked buckets etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:14 am 
born to perform.

Here's some effects I just discovered;

Pizza To Go - Looks original
http://diamondsmagic.com/product_info.php?products_id=2979

Stripper Deck, One Way Force and Svengali Kids Flash Cards
http://diamondsmagic.com/index.php?cPath=33_58