View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: 15 too young??
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:55 pm 
Penguin

I am 15 and decided to invest my money to start to do little children's birthday parties(5-7Yrs old), me being 15, am I too young to start a birthday party buisiness?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:04 pm 
born to perform.

You're never too young to start performing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:15 pm 
Penguin

benji11 wrote:
You're never too young to start performing.

Thanks for the advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:36 pm 
Penguin

It depends. Can you provide transportaion and be available to present your show? How long is the show your planning to preform? What tricks are you planning to preform? Have read/watched anything about preforming for kid's? Have you practiced all of your trick's or the whole show adequtely? Do you think that you can handle kid's in this age group? Can you appropriatly handle anything that should go wrong i.e. misbehaving kids, a messed up trick, etc. I am not trying to discourage you and I wish you the best of luck but these are all important things. If your honest awnser to this is yes then I should think your on your way to being able to preform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:50 pm 
Penguin

PatrickS wrote:
It depends. Can you provide transportaion and be available to present your show? How long is the show your planning to preform? What tricks are you planning to preform? Have read/watched anything about preforming for kid's? Have you practiced all of your trick's or the whole show adequtely? Do you think that you can handle kid's in this age group? Can you appropriatly handle anything that should go wrong i.e. misbehaving kids, a messed up trick, etc. I am not trying to discourage you and I wish you the best of luck but these are all important things. If your honest awnser to this is yes then I should think your on your way to being able to preform.

Thats whats happening right now I dont see myself doing birthday parties for atleast another 3-6 months because I need to practice and get some good kid tricks.
What do you prefer for kids tricks, does the pb&J illusion get good reactions?
Oh and for transportation I would just start out doing parties in my neighborhood, then move to bigger when I get a car and get a hang of it.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:58 pm 
born to perform.

The answer is yes, BUT....

It is a lot of hard work and truthfully your chances at succeeding will be greater if you can get some parent participation.

My daughter started performing at the age of 12. She is now 14, will be 15 on Saturday, and she is doing quite well for herself in my opinion. It is a slow process, especially for a youth performer because you have to build your client base, which can be difficult at any age but even tougher when a youth. This is why parental help is beneficial.

The most important thing to remember is that you must put on a quality PROFESSIONAL show-- and that has to be verified-- not just what you believe is entertaining. My daughter always looks for honest feedback and you have to be tough enough-- and smart enough-- to listen and learn from it whether that is from other magicians or from clientele.

If you want to do it just for the money-- its not right for you. Don't plan on making money for awhile. The only reason my daughter makes money is because we support her magic. She invests her money into her college fund-- thats the deal, although she gets to keep a small portion for herself. Magic is expensive, advertising, promoting...it all adds up.

So in answer to your question... yes, it can be done but before you undertake such an endeavor there is a lot of research that must go into it, a lot of practice, a business strategy, and even some child behaviorial studying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:58 pm 
Penguin

Then best of luck! Sounds like you have a plan so go for it! And as for tricks just look at past threads in this forum and you find several opinion's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:03 pm 
born to perform.

May I make a suggestion? Don't go for the obvious tricks. Do some research. Try and think outside the box. Do something fresh and new. Why be like every other child magician? How can your act be different?

Just food for thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:11 pm 
Penguin

My tidbit of advice-Listen to Kristenl. She and her daughter have lots of experience with doing kid's shows and magic. She would be the person to ask for advice and any advice she gives is only meant to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:30 pm 
born to perform.

When I was 15 I did a few shows with an older magician, I was kind of his assistant. It was pretty sweet. Transportation might be a problem, just do it up.
Don't need a bomb to blow your mind.
allllriggghtt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:53 pm 
Penguin

I got my tricks for the show here they are(not in order)
Hippity hop rabbits
rope to silk 12"
Magic Milk pitcher
Slush powder
TT blendo
coin bite
Magic coloring book
Color changing ball to jumbo square

These are the kids show tricks I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:10 pm 
Penguin

take out the coin bite. It is likely that the kids will try it. You don’t want the kids biting the coin and possibly swallowing it. Everything else is ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:49 pm 
born to perform.

Glamourboy wrote:
take out the coin bite. It is likely that the kids will try it. You don’t want the kids biting the coin and possibly swallowing it. Everything else is ok.

Plus, it's not a kids show effect to begin with anyway.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:02 pm 
born to perform.

No it's not to young but as mentioned how will you get to the gigs? Don't start investing in magic stuff just yet. If you are REALLY serious about doing kid shows invest in material that will teach you all that you need to know about kid shows. It'll be the best investment you can do.
Look at some Ken Scott stuff, Sammy Smith and lots others. Do some research.
I almost have a Library full of stuff. Books, DVD's, tapes and Cd's.
It's not about the magic it's the presentation.

Post subject: Re: '
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:22 am 
born to perform.

sluggo wrote:
No it's not to young but as mentioned how will you get to the gigs? Don't start investing in magic stuff just yet. If you are REALLY serious about doing kid shows invest in material that will teach you all that you need to know about kid shows. It'll be the best investment you can do.
Look at some Ken Scott stuff, Sammy Smith and lots others. Do some research.
I almost have a Library full of stuff. Books, DVD's, tapes and Cd's.
It's not about the magic it's the presentation.

Sometimes I think the kids like the entertainment and comedy rather than the magic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next