View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:15 am 
born to perform.

There is nothing wrong with that Maloney. People of different ages will appreciate all the different aspects of your show. That is why you need to concentrate on the performance and why it needs to be entertaining and not just about the magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:14 pm 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
There is nothing wrong with that Maloney. People of different ages will appreciate all the different aspects of your show. That is why you need to concentrate on the performance and why it needs to be entertaining and not just about the magic.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. As a matter of fact, I'd rather if the kids liked my comedy more then the magic. It would make me more confident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:23 pm 
born to perform.

Maloney I didn't mean to imply that you thought that there was something wrong with it. In fact, I meant it as a positive reinforcement of what you said. Perhaps my previous statement didn't come off right?

When working with different age groups they will all take something from the performance away with them, whether it is the magic, the storytelling, the comedy, etc. It is one of the reasons to build multiple elements into your show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:55 pm 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
Maloney I didn't mean to imply that you thought that there was something wrong with it. In fact, I meant it as a positive reinforcement of what you said. Perhaps my previous statement didn't come off right?

When working with different age groups they will all take something from the performance away with them, whether it is the magic, the storytelling, the comedy, etc. It is one of the reasons to build multiple elements into your show.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. And yes, I'm working on different elements to put into my show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:01 pm 
Penguin

On the topic of performing when your 15, I think if you have a positive attitude about performing and you ,personally, think you are ready.. then go ahead and try it. I started performing about 2 years ago when I was just 13 and I loved it!!! I am now 15 and I absolutely LOVE performing and my clients seem to love it as well!! So go out and give it a shot!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:12 pm 
born to perform.

bugzzbunie wrote:
On the topic of performing when your 15, I think if you have a positive attitude about performing and you ,personally, think you are ready.. then go ahead and try it. I started performing about 2 years ago when I was just 13 and I loved it!!! I am now 15 and I absolutely LOVE performing and my clients seem to love it as well!! So go out and give it a shot!!

I started this year and I'm only 14. I think it's a good idea to start young, as you will have a great mind for performing when you get older.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:19 pm 
Penguin

^^^^^^^^^^^
This is of course is assuming that you have a mind in the first place.

*Cough* Maloneyneedsprofeesionaltreatment*Cough*Cough*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:09 am 
born to perform.

PatrickS wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^
This is of course is assuming that you have a mind in the first place.

*Cough* Maloneyneedsprofeesionaltreatment*Cough*Cough*

Okay, I normally bite my tongue at comments like these but today I'm probably going to get myself in trouble...

I do a lot of volunteer work with kids of all ages. I'm used to their comedy and joking around with one another so it normally just rolls off my back, but today I would like to just make a comment about this type of behaviour on the boards.

We have had a lot of great professionals around here, some of which I have become friends with. Great guys! Unfortunately, you don't find them around here much anymore.

You may ask yourself, why? Well, they signed on to help. However, they don't seem to have the same patience that I do. If they are going to spend their time helping they are going to do it where people are more serious minded and have an attitude about learning, not joking around.

If my daughter is going to spend time on a forum, its not this one. (No offense intended towards Penguin :D ) She just wants to learn and research without all the "kid stuff". When it comes to her magic, she takes it seriously. Hey, she can be the biggest clown around, but she knows there is a time and place for everything.

Okay, so its a innocent joking around comment. However, if everyone took a more serious attitude about actually wanting to learn the art of magic, listened to the professionals that are actually trying to give you the benefit of their experience, you might be surprised by the willingness of others to help and they may actually stick around longer.

Everyone says they want to perform at 13, 14, 15-- well, to be taken seriously you have to act seriously. If you want to learn, sorry--- its not about being a kid, its about being mature and being ready to listen and put the antics aside for awhile. If my daughter didn't, she wouldn't be hired to do City jobs, nor would she get feedback like, "she is mature beyond her years-- quite intelligent and charming" from the City officials hiring her. I am not trying to be boastful when I say this. What I am trying to do is point out that this could be YOU.

If any of my friends out there happen to read this and want to chime in...I'd love to hear your thoughts. Well, I've heard your thoughts in the past on the subject, but it might be good for the kids to hear them as well!

This statement is not meant to be mean. It is just pointing out reality. If you guys were to go to a SYM, SAM, or IBM meeting you wouldn't act that way, or you'd be bounced by the Sargeant at Arms. For many of you, this is your "virtual" meeting place to learn. You guys want help, but you're not helping yourselves. I'm here to help where I can, but you could benefit by so many others. Again, I work with kids all the time and I'm used to the joking around, etc. I've even partake in it when appropriate. However, when its time to focus-- its time to focus.

Okay so the lecture is over. I hope you take it as it was intended. It was not meant to be mean spirited in the least. I absolutely love to see the younger generation prosper in their achievements. It actually brings me joy to see their accomplishments-- and if this is something you really want to do-- then I want you to prosper and see where the magic will take you.

~ Kristen :D

P.S. Don't forget we have off-topic boards where you can joke around all you want within the limits of Penguin's rules and guidelines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:23 am 
born to perform.

Do I seriously deserve comments towards me like those?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:19 pm 

I saw the post and seriously considered PMing Patrick about it, however, after seeing his other posts I understood it as just a weak attempt at a joke and let it by.

Patrick, start to be careful about insulting other members. Also remember that they may get very even with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:20 pm 
born to perform.

Patrick, how old are you anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:19 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
I saw the post and seriously considered PMing Patrick about it, however, after seeing his other posts I understood it as just a weak attempt at a joke and let it by.

Patrick, start to be careful about insulting other members. Also remember that they may get very even with you.

I think this may have been an attempt to get even with Maloney. Because in another thread, Maloney stated, That he "did another members Mom" Which I think was way out of bounds! But that post has not been deleted, and no Mod has made any comment about it.

So I think some members , as you put it, "May get very even with Maloney".

Sorry.....back to the topic!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:41 pm 
born to perform.

mohawk wrote:
paddy wrote:

I think this may have been an attempt to get even with Maloney. Because in another thread, Maloney stated, That he "did another members Mom" Which I think was way out of bounds! But that post has not been deleted, and no Mod has made any comment about it.

So I think some members , as you put it, "May get very even with Maloney".

Oh.. well i think it's good now? But, I didn't start it, and you know it...

Sorry.....back to the topic!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:58 pm 
Penguin

Okay you guys I would like to apoligize. KristenL and Paddy this is especially directed toward you. I am sorry for my behavior. Maloney had made a very not nice comment towards another member with no provocation. I saw his post as an opportunity, and took it. I don't think the comment made was at all appropriate but I now see that neither was mine.

I did not think out what the possible conseqences of that post may be so please once again forgive me. KristenL you are right. THe closest rings and meetings to me are 75 miles away. So I use this as my substitute. I would hate to be kicked out of here and I just realized how close that post could have brought me to being banned.

So once again I apoligize. I love it here at penguin and would to be forced to leave. For the most part this Forum is my outlet. I can express my opinion's here and have them be taken fairly seriously. That last post was me seeing an opportunity to vent a whole lot of frustration over some current events going on with me. I did not think the pos through at all and merely posted it. I guarantee it will not happen again. And too awnser someone else's question I am 15. Yeah the way I am currently wired anger is my first response too just about anything. Yeah puberty is complicated and for the most part sucks. But once more you guys please accept my full and heartfelt apology.

-Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:24 pm 
born to perform.

PatrickS wrote:
Okay you guys I would like to apoligize. KristenL and Paddy this is especially directed toward you. I am sorry for my behavior. Maloney had made a very not nice comment towards another member with no provocation. I saw his post as an opportunity, and took it. I don't think the comment made was at all appropriate but I now see that neither was mine.

I did not think out what the possible conseqences of that post may be so please once again forgive me. KristenL you are right. THe closest rings and meetings to me are 75 miles away. So I use this as my substitute. I would hate to be kicked out of here and I just realized how close that post could have brought me to being banned.

So once again I apoligize. I love it here at penguin and would to be forced to leave. For the most part this Forum is my outlet. I can express my opinion's here and have them be taken fairly seriously. That last post was me seeing an opportunity to vent a whole lot of frustration over some current events going on with me. I did not think the pos through at all and merely posted it. I guarantee it will not happen again. And too awnser someone else's question I am 15. Yeah the way I am currently wired anger is my first response too just about anything. Yeah puberty is complicated and for the most part sucks. But once more you guys please accept my full and heartfelt apology.

-Patrick

I'm very sorry too. Let's just drop this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next