View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Off Topic: Challenge Yourself
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:43 am 
born to perform.

There are a lot of young members here that really want to get into magic. I can understand that-- it is addicting and amazing. Now I want to challenge you to do something that a very good friend challenged my daughter to do-- compete.

When you enter a competition you don't have to enter to win, although hey, who wouldn't like to? There are so many other benefits. You gain exposure, you gain experience, you get the opportunity to network-- it is a win, win situation. It will also give you a great gauge to see where you relate to the competition in your area. It will tell you what you need to work on, or where you may have an edge. Most importantly, again, it is experience.

Our daughter just entered her first competition outside of our Assembly. Did she win? No. Would she do it again? Absolutely. She had a blast. She loved talking with all the magicians backstage. You can learn a lot. Not only magic wise, but business wise as well. She enjoyed seeing their performances and how they differ from her own, which admittedly she has a bit of a different style. She is definitely "family magic" versus "adult magic". You can always learn something from seeing another magician perform--- HOWEVER, never take from another magician's act. You can learn stage presence, styling, the sublties.

So I will pass along the very good advice given to us by a dear friend--- get out there and compete. You won't be sorry. And remember, you don't have to be the winner--- to come out a winner.

Happy magic everyone,

Kristen

Attn Moderators: I posted in this section because this is the only section where I typically post and where I talk with the kids most the time. If you need to relocate it I will understand. Thank you. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:34 pm 
Team Penguin

I agree!

I've performed in AND judged MANY competitions...I've won several, and I've lost several. It's a lot of fun, and allows you to meet new people and make new friends.

As Kristen mentioned, it's also a good experience. Judges often leave feedback, and are more than willing to help you improve your act by offering suggestions and pointing out areas that need improvement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:01 pm 
born to perform.

KyletheGreat wrote:
I agree!

I've performed in AND judged MANY competitions...I've won several, and I've lost several. It's a lot of fun, and allows you to meet new people and make new friends.

As Kristen mentioned, it's also a good experience. Judges often leave feedback, and are more than willing to help you improve your act by offering suggestions and pointing out areas that need improvement.

I pretty much live in a place where magic isn't the biggest thing. There for, I'd have to travel a long ways to get to a competition. So, that's the reason I've never been in one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:38 pm 
born to perform.

I'm sure if you really spent time researching online about competition in the surround area (even if you have to travel) and it is something you really wanted to do-- your parents would find a way to get you there. Thats the thing about parents, we tend to want to see our kids happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:44 pm 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
I'm sure if you really spent time researching online about competition in the surround area (even if you have to travel) and it is something you really wanted to do-- your parents would find a way to get you there. Thats the thing about parents, we tend to want to see our kids happy.

I just got back from a trip to Vancouver, and that's a long ways away from where I live. Were not rolling around in money, but in my opinion they are making money.

They probably isn't one that I could go too where I didn't spend 2 grand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:39 am 
Team Penguin

I'm sure there is...You could go to a convention...all conventions have a stage and close-up competition...you should take that route instead. The cost of conventions are a fraction of the price you mentioned...even if you fly to one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:40 am 
born to perform.

KyletheGreat wrote:
I'm sure there is...You could go to a convention...all conventions have a stage and close-up competition...you should take that route instead. The cost of conventions are a fraction of the price you mentioned...even if you fly to one!

What about a hotel, food, and when you just want to buy something? It's going to cost money no matter where I go, and it's at least a 2 hour plane ride to the nearest convention or competition.

And guys I'd appreciate it if you'd stop saying that there's something close to me, because I know for a fact that there's not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:28 am 
born to perform.

No one is trying to tell you what is or what is not in your neck of the woods. We are trying to brainstorm and give you hopeful options if this is something you want to do.

My next suggestion would be to start researching any/all magic shops in and around your surrounding area on the internet, yellow pages, etc. The shops will be able to tell you about any competitions, even if small ones, in or around Canada that may not be so far away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:16 pm 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
No one is trying to tell you what is or what is not in your neck of the woods. We are trying to brainstorm and give you hopeful options if this is something you want to do.

My next suggestion would be to start researching any/all magic shops in and around your surrounding area on the internet, yellow pages, etc. The shops will be able to tell you about any competitions, even if small ones, in or around Canada that may not be so far away.

I know of one, I think, in Nova Scotia. That still means a plane ticket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:50 pm 
Team Penguin

Maloney123 wrote:
KyletheGreat wrote:

What about a hotel, food, and when you just want to buy something? It's going to cost money no matter where I go, and it's at least a 2 hour plane ride to the nearest convention or competition.

And guys I'd appreciate it if you'd stop saying that there's something close to me, because I know for a fact that there's not.

Yes, I know food, hotel, and travel all cost money...but not $2,000!

I think the most expesinve convention for me to get to was about 7 states away, and the overall cost after travel, registration, food, and hotel was about $750.

Most conventions aren't usually this high when all is combined.