View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Seriously Silly by David Kaye
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:31 pm 
born to perform.

Just a reminder, don't do a kids show until you read this book. The "Solving The Top Ten Problems Of performing for childern" section is worth the price of the book. The book is hilarious and gives enormously practical tips for your next show. please, for your and the kids' sake, read this freakin book if you even consider doing kid shows.

look this week in the reviews, i'll be writing one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:24 pm 
born to perform.

I have it on the way. Kids think it's funny by Greg Macmahan is pretty good to. Did I spell his last name right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:34 pm 
Team Penguin

I saw david lecture and perform this weekend...I wasn't impressed.

He is teaching the SAME OLD STUFF that David Ginn was writing about in the 70's and 80's. I highly reccomend David Ginns books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:10 pm 
Penguin

I saw David Lecture at Kidabra and in fact was the centre point of a little joke on him as well. At this lecture he had the entire room mesmerized at his thinking. He showed how you could take a simple prop and make an entire routine around it.
To each his own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:10 pm 
born to perform.

KyletheGreat wrote:
I saw david lecture and perform this weekend...I wasn't impressed.

He is teaching the SAME OLD STUFF that David Ginn was writing about in the 70's and 80's. I highly reccomend David Ginns books.

He's still probably the most popular kids magician around right now. His book is still way worth the money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:44 am 
born to perform.

I've been to quite a few lectures and some of have been bad, some good, and others great. I think it makes a difference on how you relate to the person giving the lecture and how you can relate to their own ideas into your show. Either way, I think even in a bad lecture you can learn something--- lol, even if it is how NOT to do something! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:05 am 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
I've been to quite a few lectures and some of have been bad, some good, and others great. I think it makes a difference on how you relate to the person giving the lecture and how you can relate to their own ideas into your show. Either way, I think even in a bad lecture you can learn something--- lol, even if it is how NOT to do something! :wink:

Do you know of any lectures in Canada?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:33 am 
Penguin

You have to be a lot more specific Maloney as Canada is a big Country. You have never stated where you live except for a small town with 16000 people. We have lectures in Winnipeg every two months or so. Toronto and Vancouver probably have more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:43 am 
born to perform.

Glamourboy wrote:
You have to be a lot more specific Maloney as Canada is a big Country. You have never stated where you live except for a small town with 16000 people. We have lectures in Winnipeg every two months or so. Toronto and Vancouver probably have more.

Dude, Winnipeg would be absolutely perfect. I have a cousin who lives there. Do you know when the next one is going to be? And what type of stuff do you learn from a lecture? Thanks, I live in Newfoundland, and there's not much going on down here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:49 pm 
Team Penguin

Now I'm not saying anything bad about David Kaye or his magic/methods...everything he talked about was correct...I was just making mention that it's nothing new...it's the same stuff David Ginn has been talking about for Decades.

BTW...if you're looking for an interesting read...do a little research on David Kaye AKA David Friedman. He has an awkward life story which is really ironic when you think of his profession.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:05 pm 
born to perform.

KyletheGreat wrote:
Now I'm not saying anything bad about David Kaye or his magic/methods...everything he talked about was correct...I was just making mention that it's nothing new...it's the same stuff David Ginn has been talking about for Decades.

BTW...if you're looking for an interesting read...do a little research on David Kaye AKA David Friedman. He has an awkward life story which is really ironic when you think of his profession.

I'll try to find that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:14 am 
Team Penguin

Here is a little bit that was from an article in the new york post...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05072007/gossip/pagesix/why_silly_billy_isnt_laughing_pagesix_.htm

THere was a televised documentary about his family and childhood as well...if you can find it, I would reccomend a view...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:47 am 

Yes Kyle, I knew that about him but did not know where to prove it until your post. It just shows that we as children's entertainers must be totally above any suspicions or evan an appearance of something wrong. We have to be very careful about what and how we say things. If just haveing a family member in trouble can ruin you think of what could happen if you misspoke something.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:17 am 
born to perform.

But does David have all of his customers back now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:19 am 

Maloney123 wrote:
But does David have all of his customers back now?
Doubt it but you'd have to ask him to find out for sure. A reputation is hard to build but very easy to destroy.