View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:47 pm 
born to perform.

You are right, I do talk about her a lot because she is the same age as many of you. She is in the same position that many of you are in. I use our experiences as an example to help the younger members here on the forum-- not to brag. She, herself, is one of the most humble people I have ever met. I am only trying to give information that might possibly help the young forum members here, as many, many magician friends have helped us through the years. I realize that some members do not have the benefit of attending a SYM program or an IBM youth program. We do not have the answers, by far, but we are willing to share our experiences and the advice we have learned over the years.

My daughter is free to visit any forum that she wishes. It is her choice. But, to be honest, her free time is very limited. The amount of time she does have to dedicate to her magic she dedicates to practice.

I apologize if I have made anyone uncomfortable by using my daughter as an example. :( Again, trust me I am not trying to brag. Now, I will admit to being an overly proud mom--- and if you want to hear me REALLY talk about my daughter and how I go on, and on, and on-- then just ask Paddy or Sluggo, they are used to my proud mommie moments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:27 pm 
born to perform.

Bicycle12 wrote:
What's up with all of the kissing up? Kristenl, why don't you ever let your daughter talk on Penguin Magic? You talk about her enough.... :roll:

I for one can tell you that Kristen indeed knows what she is talking about. I have been around Magic for quite some time...and Kristen's advice throughout the years I have been a member here, has always been right on the money. You would do your self a great disservice if you dismissed what she has to say. Alas, to each their own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:03 pm 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
You are right, I do talk about her a lot because she is the same age as many of you. She is in the same position that many of you are in. I use our experiences as an example to help the younger members here on the forum-- not to brag. She, herself, is one of the most humble people I have ever met. I am only trying to give information that might possibly help the young forum members here, as many, many magician friends have helped us through the years. I realize that some members do not have the benefit of attending a SYM program or an IBM youth program. We do not have the answers, by far, but we are willing to share our experiences and the advice we have learned over the years.

My daughter is free to visit any forum that she wishes. It is her choice. But, to be honest, her free time is very limited. The amount of time she does have to dedicate to her magic she dedicates to practice.

I apologize if I have made anyone uncomfortable by using my daughter as an example. :( Again, trust me I am not trying to brag. Now, I will admit to being an overly proud mom--- and if you want to hear me REALLY talk about my daughter and how I go on, and on, and on-- then just ask Paddy or Sluggo, they are used to my proud mommie moments.

From what I hear around from the local magicians, your daughter is worth bragging about.

Secondly, if I where a 14(15?) year old girl, I would stay far away from all these crazies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:32 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
From what I hear around from the local magicians, your daughter is worth bragging about.

Thank you very much for your kind comment. We have been very blessed to have made many wonderful friendships over the years through our Assembly, Gerry's, and the internet. Our magician friends have been extraordinary to our daughter and we are all very thankful to have been met with such kindness. Our daughter would not be where she is today without all of their guidance, attention, and support.

Our daughter's principal recently gave a speech to the students because she wanted to remind them of the importance of humility.

She reminded them that they hadn't gotten where they were by themselves; first, it was because of God because he had a plan for each of them; secondly, there were their parents, because they loved and supported them; thirdly, were their teachers (in this case, magicians) because they inspire them; and lastly-- it is themselves for their own hard work.

It is a good lesson to keep in mind--- none of us get where we are on our own.

Have a magical evening

~ Kristen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:20 am 
born to perform.

Location: In a white room, With black curtains, At the Station
Well, I got hired for an adult show, and Ive never done one before, so I decided to make a whole new routine, and Im beginning to run out of time.
I only have about a week to get it all down, but I have a good idea, its all gonna workout

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:55 am 
born to perform.

Ah ha! I saw the name "Gerry" and city, "Pleasant Hill" so that means there are others who are in range of California Magic.

I met Cigam Uno there a couple years ago I believe, to see Rafael Benatar but haven't made it back.

Great comments Kristin, I hope you type fast to be able to post all that.

DBaker mentioned working on a giant chop cup. I've been working on a GIANT cups and balls/chop cup myself. I'm looking at using five gallon buckets with tennis ball sized sponge balls as that size will still be able to hide in one's hand. I'm looking at different ways to gimmick the buckets including; an opening that would face me and a hidden shelf/pocket on the inside also accessible through the opening. One possible routine would be where as I have misplaced my "toys" and ask the kids to help me find them.
I would begin the search where as the kids see the items and alert me but when I look they are gone.

Other ideas include shimmed stuffed animals.
Final load being a bucket of soft souvenirs tossed towards the kids after pouring liquid in to one of the buckets.

Post subject: Re: What is everyone working on?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:05 pm 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
It's been really quiet around the kid show division of the forum and I was hoping that it meant everyone was busy working on their new routines or reading a good magic book? How about just checking in and letting us all know what you've been up to lately! :D

~ Kristen

I was never all that interested in doing kid magic until someone contacted me and asked me to do a kids show. That opportunity fell through but it got me thinking about developing a kids show. So now, I've got the bug. I've been having a great time researching kids magic shows and story-telling magic. I'm working on a wizard-in-training theme. I'm a forgetful wizardry student whose homework (spells) don't always work properly. The entire act is scripted with a lot of little stories, rhymes and music.

Show so far consists of:

Teleportation homework - Shrinking/Expanding head illusion opener
Lord of the Rings Routine (ring and string routine)
Transformations Class - Short Silk Routine using a Dye Tube
Professor's Nightmare Routine using a routine idea from Silly Billy's web site
History Class - American Flag Blendo using the Change Cap
Wizard Goblets (Cups and Balls routine)
Potions class (slush powder)
Art Class - Magic Drawing Board/Art-o-matic closer

I'm having to work on all of these routines simulateously which is a lot of practice!

I'm still looking for a couple more routines. I was considering:

Magic Coloring Book (but I'm already doing the drawing board)
Slydini Silks (but I already have two silk routines)
Flue Powder Vanish (TT Salt Vanish)
D'Lites

Any more routine ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:53 pm 
born to perform.

Sounds to me that you already have enough well rounded material!

A local magician friend asked my daughter to be his partner for a similiar type of themed act at a public show this past summer. She had a lot of fun. It was the first time she had ever worked a show/stage with another magician. They had really good chemistry and had a lot of fun. He was the Wizard and she was the Apprentice-- and of course, things didn"t always go quite as planned. They had a lot of audience participation and comedy built into the routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:00 am 
born to perform.

EZrhythm wrote:
Ah ha! I saw the name "Gerry" and city, "Pleasant Hill" so that means there are others who are in range of California Magic.

Am I close? Do I get da banana? Has anyone been over to Gerry's for a show?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:30 am 
born to perform.

Gerry's place is awesome! He and Laura are such nice people. Are you one of the regulars magicians that frequent the place? Maybe we have met. That is where I know Dbaker from; he is another member here on the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:53 am 
born to perform.

Unfortunately I have only been there one time, a couple of years a go for Rafael Benatar's lecture.

THAT PLACE IS SPECIAL! Would be nice to get over there more often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:11 pm 
Penguin

What have I been working on?

I've been working hard at completing a general magic show and mentalism show for the past several months. Still a bit of work to do.

Also working on finishing a musical number with a couple of effects for a childrens show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:50 pm 
born to perform.

EZrhythm wrote:
Unfortunately I have only been there one time, a couple of years a go for Rafael Benatar's lecture.

THAT PLACE IS SPECIAL! Would be nice to get over there more often.

My daughter and I missed that lecture, but my husband attended it. My husband said he spoke a lot about misdirection, did his cup & balls, and some card tricks.