View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:19 pm 

bookmagicnow, I have been doing this for 14 years, the last 12 it's been a full time thing for me. No sir, I am not being arrogant, and I don't see you as being egotistical either. I base my pricing on what I tried to explain in the last post. People have the idea that higher price means higher quality. I just allow them that belief plus I use it to my advantage.

I just believe in using every sales tool that's available to me and perception is one tool that works for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:28 pm 
Penguin

At the end of the day it is all dependent on what you want out of this. No mater how much people push there will always be those that undercut others. My alliance is with Paddy on this one. However if you are making enough to live off than all the power to you. My only hope is that your pricing strategy pushes the others with lower skill levels in your market to either improve those skills or lower there prices to the same level.

We set our prices based on our beliefs so it will always be a tough struggle to change others on this subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:49 pm 
born to perform.

"judging from the fact that you have stated that you make mostly one balloon models" - hmmmm where did i say that? The word multiple means more than one...

This is where I got that idea.

"Lets separate balloon twisters into two categories. Ones who make ONE balloon sculptures (i.e. dog, sword, etc...) and those who make MULTIPLE balloon sculptures."

In your example you compare apples and oranges. I reasoned that if you were going to compare two different things and still find it relevant to your case you would have to be one of those things. Paddy is a multi balloon worker and I knew that from the start so you lead me to believe that you were an amateur. People can tell the difference in quality. That Sponge Bob looks pretty good but according to you why even try because to a layperson it is just the same as a one balloon dog.

I understand you are comfortable where you are in you market but I must say that if you only stay in your comfort zone people are going to take advantage of you. It is about changing the pattern of things to take full advantage of your skill and your worth.

I went back and reread all of this topic (I will not be accused of not being understanding) and remembered that your only real competition was clowns that did an ok job. Well they are getting more than you per gig and if they are as bad as you claim why would they choose you if you cost less and do less in their view.

Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:01 pm 
Penguin

Yea paddy is arrogant. Every post he replies to, it can be a simple question (I.E. does twisting fast come with experience) he brags about what he can do, for about 2 paragraphs and talks down to whoever posts them. Very distasteful.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:04 am 
born to perform.

kengarc wrote:
Yea paddy is arrogant. Every post he replies to, it can be a simple question (I.E. does twisting fast come with experience) he brags about what he can do, for about 2 paragraphs and talks down to whoever posts them. Very distasteful.

No, he is not being arrogant. Over the years we have seen people/kids get on here that has never been to a convention where the real pro's in the field have gone over the do's and don't's of the biz. These people are typically making six figures by doing kid shows.
You read on the subject and attend such conventions and this very topic is gone over in detail.
I'm going to side with someone that has made a lucrative living over the opinion of someone who does it for 'fun.'
Not everyone will charge $25.00 over the highest in their area but, if you are doing it full time and you can get away with it... you do it.
It is a profession an art why be the cheapie in the market. If you don't have the confidence then that is fine, but under bidding if you are that 'good' isn't the brightest thing that I've ever heard.
I do balloons as an extra in my shows. I pride myself on a very good comedy magic show with ventriloquism involved in it. You aren't just charging for your show you are charging for all the money and time you've spent getting where you are. The use of your vehicle, advertising, business phone, insurance etc. I am not going to do all this just to barely keep my head above water.
You are in a specialty field..get paid like one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:49 am 
born to perform.

This is a personal comment, and I will confess that I did not go back and read through the entire topic, because quite honestly--- I couldn't get past the "Yea paddy is arrogant. Every post he replies to, it can be a simple question (I.E. does twisting fast come with experience) he brags about what he can do, for about 2 paragraphs and talks down to whoever posts them. Very distasteful."

I have known Paddy for several years now. He is not arrogant in the least. He is a very nice, charming man who is good at what he does. He is not being boastful. His writing style is blunt, and he tells it like it is whether he is relaying on his experience or giving someone a reality check.

He has been nothing but supportive to myself and my family. He is very outgoing and helpful when he sees that "spark" and knows someone is serious about their craft. I enjoy emailing and talking to Paddy on the phone and if you take time to listen you will gain a lot of insight and knowledge from him.

Again, I am not commenting on the topic-- only on the description of a man who I have had the pleasure of being aquainted and friends with. It is a friendship that I look forward to continuing in the years to come.

~ Kristen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:03 am 

WOW!! Thank you to both Sluggo and Kristen.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:27 pm 
born to perform.

bookmagicnow, if everybody was thinking like you we would just underbidding each other until making a living with this wouldn't even be a possibility -.^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:02 am 
Team Penguin

kengarc wrote:

um...just honesty...the truth hurts.

Paddy doesn't mean to come across as an a-hole...he's just being blunt and honest without sugar coating anything. Lets just say that he's the Simon Cowell of us working professionals that post on these forums ;).

Personally...I like him. He's been through a lot, and has a lot of wisdom to share. You are fortunate enough to have somebody like him to leave honest feedback and tear at your ego's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:43 pm 
born to perform.

Balloon School dvd is a like childs play go check out balloonhq go find the great Don Caldwell.. This is the stuff you want to do. I also use to only do magic balloons is now 50 percent my work. You can do tehbest magci trick in the world but kids "want" something and making a huge scooby or spongebob in 5 minutes just blows them away!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:38 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
If I get a price objection I tell them "I have an agreement with everyone else. They don't match my price and I don't lower my quality to match theirs."

Paddy

That is one VERY good response. I am humbled by greatness! :wink:

My response has always been, "Well, you can always get a kid for much less, pay to have him to be dressed in a silly costume and make simple balloons... Who knows one or two of them may even be good or you can pay me to do the job at a professional's wage and you can be assured that all the balloons will be good, the jokes will be timed right and my presentation will merit the amount you are paying. The choice is always yours...(pausing) oh, and did I also mention that, unlike a kid of the street, I come complete with liability insurance that protects your assets should by some freak chance someone gets injured by a balloon at your event from a balloon artist that you hired? The choice is yours how you want to book your event.
If you would like I can give you the numbers of other performers in the area who I know twist simpler balloons for a cheaper price and they may or may not carry liability insurance, if you would like to go that route. Would you like their numbers?"

I have never once had anyone ask for another persons number. The key is to be polite, honest and present them examples of your work.

My prices are posted on my site along with examples of some of my work.

http://www.HalfTwisted-HalfKnot.com and http://www.kidshow.info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:11 pm 

PeterJohn, take off the prices from your site!!!!! All you get is people will see the prices and then tell other performers "I can get him for this price." Take them down.

Also your pricing for trade shows is way off. You never ever charge by the hour for trade shows. I charge by the day plus all expences such as travel, lodging, meals, taxis, tips EVERYTHING!! Also my charge varies depending on the customer and the show. If I am going to work Procter & Gamble's booth in Vegas I'll charge at keast $3000 a day plus expences. If I am working a small local company at a consumer show It may be as low as $500 ady plus expences if it is a minimum 3 day event.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:40 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
PeterJohn, take off the prices from your site!!!!! All you get is people will see the prices and then tell other performers "I can get him for this price."

I agree with you on the matter of trade shows, perhaps I do have lower prices but that venue I have only had limited experience with locally.

As for my prices being on my site... I keep my prices consistent with each costumer this way they know I am above board in my dealings.

I am more expensive than the other performers by about $50 an hour within about 100 mile radius of me, so I don't believe anyone will quote my prices to other performers to try to get them to drop their prices. As for other performers out of the 100 mile area, they can simply say, "Well, that is what the going rate is in his area."

I will gladly consider your thoughts on this matter (and welcome them gladly) but I would need more justification for a removal than to worry about my local competitors being "undersold" (as I have said, I know I am the most expensive performer in the area)

Thanks for your input and I welcome further comments.