View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Balloons.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:30 pm 
Penguin

I just got balloon school by joe montella. How much do you guys charge for making a ballon for someone?

And lets say if you got hired to walk around and do ballons for people, how much would you charge the person who hired you to walk around and make ballons for people? This would be for an hour.

thanks in return.

PS. sorry about the two threads, its just one was about the kids show and this one is about balloons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:19 pm 
Penguin

if you are just getting into balloons you should NOT be charging anybody for your balloons. I don’t know if this is the case but from your post i am led to believe so.

There are so many bad balloon artists out there that are ruining the market for those of us that are decent. During the summer I make a large percentage of my income from balloon busking. I make good money because I blow people away with what can be done with latex. Am I the best in my market? NO, but i am definitely in the top 10%

Use your balloons as an add on to your shows. Don’t try to sell anything you cant provide or your not qualified to.

Last edited by Glamourboy on Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:09 pm 

If you just have that one DVD, you're not worth any amount.

I charge $150 an hour, yes even if all I do is balloon sculpting, but even my dogs take 3 balloons to make plus I do them as fast as most people do a one balloon dog. Most of the stuff that Montella does, I do behind my back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:04 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
If you just have that one DVD, you're not worth any amount.

I charge $150 an hour, yes even if all I do is balloon sculpting, but even my dogs take 3 balloons to make plus I do them as fast as most people do a one balloon dog. Most of the stuff that Montella does, I do behind my back.

okay, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:23 am 
born to perform.

Check out my essay on the subject. It covers some base things you want to get down before you go into the field.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... sc&start=0

As for charging for balloons I usually get paid by the hour. To me paying for individual balloons seems a bit silly. You always get the kid that wants to know why her 9 balloon tiger cost more than his 1 balloon sword. Ugg. It is way easier to charge by the hour. Charging per hour also allows you to interact with people without the stress of a financial transaction.

Juliegel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:10 am 

Excellent essay juliegel. I did add a comment re: pump or mouth inflation. I use a pump. BTW I get my balloons wholesale thru a place in Dayton OH and buy an average of 50 bags a month. Yes that is 5000 balloons every month. But, I do magic and balloons full time 6 to 7 days a week.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:20 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I've taken tips for doing balloon work, but I've never charged a person for doing so. When ever I do balloon work, it's along with doing a stage show. For the overall price though, you need to check your area. I could tell you what I charge, but it won't do much good for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:26 pm 
Penguin

I charge 90 an hour for any event for any occasion. I'm located in the midwest region. I stay busy at my current rate. Sure there are clowns that charge 125 and make dogs and swords but I am not into balloons and magic for the money.
I blow all the balloons up with my mouth. It is ten times more impressive that a little balloon hand pump. I also make absolutely anything out of balloons from a 16 balloon santa to a 14 balloon spongebob.

I use to be strictly a magician. But i can tell you that I have tripled my work since I began balloons 6 years ago. And I am not just performing balloons for children either. I have had coporate events ONLY making balloons. It's an incredible market if you can make balloons good.

And I agree with paddy's comment "Most of the stuff that Montella does, I do behind my back"
Wasn't very impressed with the work... Creative... but not good enough for the Las Vegas strip.

Anyways work on some of your own creations. After a while of practice you will learn that you can make anything out of balloons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:34 pm 

bookmagicnow wrote:
I charge 90 an hour for any event for any occasion. I'm located in the midwest region. I stay busy at my current rate. Sure there are clowns that charge 125 and make dogs and swords but I am not into balloons and magic for the money...

BIG MISTAKE!!! If you are booked solid and the others are charging more, that means the reason you booking 100% is your rate is too low!! Kick up your rate to match, or exceed what others charge. I have a friend call every competitor and discuss booking a party so I can find out their rates. Then I charge $25 more than anyone else.

If I get a price objection I tell them "I have an agreement with everyone else. They don't match my price and I don't lower my quality to match theirs. I am still busier than a one legged man in an a$$ kicking contest.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:38 pm 
Penguin

I have to agree with Paddy that you should raise your rates. Sure you may not be in the business for the money as you say. But if you respect the art form you should at least be on par price wise with those that you say are below your skill level.
Do not cheapen the art by presenting above average talent for below average cost.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:39 pm 
born to perform.

I do balloons after my birthday parties. Occassionally I will do walk around. Charge by the hour not the balloon.
If you've ever seen Glamourboys balloon sculptures it will blow you away.
He is the type that can charge top dollar just to do balloons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:45 pm 
born to perform.

Are your balloons really that much better than on Balloon School?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:18 pm 

coendog13 wrote:

Yes! Much better. I do a full size Elmo, Tweety bird, Bicycle, woman, man, all kinds of hats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:47 pm 
born to perform.

coendog13 wrote:

Really it is not that hard to have balloons better than Balloon School. Balloon School is only the beginning. I once went a whole year only doing Balloonacatures, (lifelike balloons modeled after real people). The possibility's are endless. Take a look into Don Caldwell and Larry Moss, they know a thing or 2 about balloons.

Juliegel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:07 pm 
born to perform.

How do you guys twist them so fast? Does that come with time, or are there techniques you use?