View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How heavy is your show?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:14 pm 
born to perform.

What I'm asking is sort of a two part question:

1) How heavy is your show (including the table/backdrop/case)?

2) How do you get it to where you're performing? Is it all in a backpack, or do you have a wagon to pull it, etc?

I realize that everyone will have different answers based on what type of show they do, etc.

I'll answer first (although I am not a professional, this is just what I do when I do have a show, which has happened 3 times in the past 2 years): My birthday show is 30 min.

1) I would say about 10-15 pounds, although I don't have any 'big' props. I also do not yet have a backdrop or a table (I just got one and that's what made me think to ask what you guys do).

2) Since I didn't bring a table in my past shows (they place already had it), I would carry it all in a box in a duffel bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:21 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Depending on what escapes & stunts I am performing it can range from as little as 30lbs to over 400lbs.

I have a large SUV and Toyota Tundra at my disposal for moving my stuff. Also have several cousins and good friends that help me pack it, set it up, and take it down. Since I do have a few rather large props.

I ususlly have tables already there at my disposal, same for chairs and benches. Though on occasion I bring my own chairs, benches and ladders.

I carry all my small stuff in a large Army Canvas bag- ropes and Straight jackets and chains.

My stunt props I carry in a large customized brief case.

I know it isnt exactly what you were going for in responses, but I dont really carry alot for my magic shows. I can fit all that into a backpack.

Last edited by DavidTheCryptic on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:36 pm 
born to perform.

I'm not even going to hazard a guess, but we pack a lot whether it is for a private party or for a stage show. The back of our SUV is always packed.

The hardest for us is when we take the dollhouse. My husband custom built it and he went overboard on the base to be sure it was steady and would not move on me. Unfortunately, it takes my husband and me to lift it as my daughter can't -- or maybe its is just her overprotective parents who think she can't because they don't want her to hurt hersef. :lol: She has a couple of large props that take up a lot of room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:54 pm 
Penguin

I have a big show (three trips into performance area). I purchased a mini van this spring and since I don't have a family I have removed the seats from the back. It has been a life saver.

Since I am on pace to do over 200 shows this year and a goal of 300 next, I am looking at ways of taking less stuff and still having a kick butt show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:05 am 
Penguin

I carry a simple suit case that has an extending handle, which can also roll around. Now, since I have practiced in handling 30-45 minute kids shows and birthday parties, I have to say my carry is very light.
I carry:

- Close-up Standard Pad (Blue)
- Magic Coloring Book
- Break Away Wand
- Confetti Wand
- Balloons (To shape)
- Needle Through Balloon (It's in a neat tube)
- Paper Hat Tear (Party Version)
- Paper Pants Tear (Great Follow up :D)
- Cups and Balls ( Filler/Finale)
- 25" Rope (Any color that matches according to theme)
- Hippity Hop Rabbits
- Sponge Balls
- TT (TT) & Blendo Di Fatta (Silks)

I pack small but I pull out big great effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:35 am 
born to perform.

I'd watch the needle through balloon depending on ages. I know you just mentioned another gig for 3 year olds. Be aware 3 year olds will mimic EVERYTHING. The last thing you want is for them to get a hold of needles somehow and injure themselves! And yes, they will remember!

After we did a torn and restore card for one of our nieces, who was about 5 at the time--- months later her dad found her sitting on the floor with his expensive WPT set tearing up all his cards. He was upset to say the least-- and so was she, because SHE couldn't put them back together.

Be careful what you do for kids! Luckily for us, this was a harmless mimic otherwise my niece could have been hurt.

Bright, big, colorful-- that is the way to go with 3 year olds!

Post subject: Re: How heavy is your show?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:38 pm 
Team Penguin

salmononius2 wrote:
What I'm asking is sort of a two part question:

1) How heavy is your show (including the table/backdrop/case)?

2) How do you get it to where you're performing? Is it all in a backpack, or do you have a wagon to pull it, etc?

I realize that everyone will have different answers based on what type of show they do, etc.

I'll answer first (although I am not a professional, this is just what I do when I do have a show, which has happened 3 times in the past 2 years): My birthday show is 30 min.

1) I would say about 10-15 pounds, although I don't have any 'big' props. I also do not yet have a backdrop or a table (I just got one and that's what made me think to ask what you guys do).

2) Since I didn't bring a table in my past shows (they place already had it), I would carry it all in a box in a duffel bag.

1: Anywhere between 100-200 lbs....depending on the show...and whether it's for a stage, or birthday party.

2:My table converts into a trunk with wheels...much like the mak magic of Lefler table (the table when empty weighs about 60 lbs) my backdrops fit into a tennis racket bag... they are new on the market and were a gift to me from the creator...they open up to 7ft tall by 5.5 feet wide....when all three are setup together, there is a 7ft by 17.5ft backdrop (all three together in the bag weighs a total of 13 lbs.). And for larger kidshows, I have a stool and a trunk (houses my ring to gumball machine), and a sound system...both of those add to the weight. I park close and carry everything to the performance area myself...I usually pile as much as I can on top of my suitcase table with wheels and wheel it all in. Sometimes, I'm assigned somebody to help me carry my equipment.

I used to drive a Ford Ranger Pickup truck with a Camper top and hauled my stuff in it. Last week I purchased myself a 2006 Ford Focus ZX5 and I store everything in the hatchback and get better Gas Mileage for my long distance shows...I like to call it "The Hocus Focus" LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:24 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks for all the responses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:17 pm 
born to perform.

I have a suitcase table and a wagon with a large plastic crate to carry the amenities. i don't always use a back drop I.E. Homes. Maybe forty pounds. The school shows at least a hundred pounds.