View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A kids show on a budget?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:13 am 
born to perform.

Hey everyone, I know there is a thread on which effects are the best for a kids show already but I have some additional questions. I'm getting in contact with my Synagogue's Religious School to see if I could do a show for them. The Religious Director is a family friend and I used to be her TA so it shouldn't be a problem. The school is for kids from K to 7th grade. I know the effects I currently do now will go over well with the 3rd graders on up, but its the K-2nd graders I'm worried about. No when I say I'm worried I don't mean I don't do well with kids... in fact I'm great with them. What I'm worried about is what effects to do for them. Right now the only "kid trick" I have in my arsenal is Sponge Balls. I do a lot of card tricks but I'm not sure if those would go over well. Have any of you done card tricks for little kids? I don't know when the show will be but I'm assuming it will be in a few months (2-3 maybe?). My main question is what effects could I make/buy that isn't to expensive (still job hunting) that would go over well with kids? I'm gunna see if I can scrounge up some cash, but right now all the effects I have gotten lately are geared for an older crowd. Thanks for the help!

~Zenn

Post subject: Re: A kids show on a budget?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:10 pm 
born to perform.

Coloring Book, Hippity Hop Rabbits, Silk Vanish.

Gte Seriously Silly by David Kaye.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:36 pm 
born to perform.

thanks I was def gunna get the coloring book.

Is David Kaye Silly Billy?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:14 am 
born to perform.

Yeah.

I second getting Seriously Silly. That man is a GENIUS at performing for kids.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:21 pm 
born to perform.

yeah I've seen clips of him online and on Celebracadbra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:25 pm 
Penguin

Performing for children is thankfully, my bread and butter and so I must recommend Hippity Hop Rabbits if it has not already been stated. Also, you said you use spongeballs? This would be a pretty good time to snatch a collection of various sponge shapes that aren't going to kill your wallet. I suggest sponge ball to rabbit, which could go very well with an impromptu pulling a rabbit out of the hat. Also, if you are going with the coloring book routine, might I suggest you add in a prop known as the "Confetti Wand". An explosion of colorful confetti will most definitely get the attention of those children. Please avoid card tricks at all costs, because most children will not (I am not saying this in a demeaning or insulting manner) be able to remember their card. And, if you do need to use a card trick, I suggest getting a deck of Jumbo Cards, and obtaining the Magician's Insurance Policy. Formulate a routine, and this trick will incite wonders. I wish you the best of luck, but might I suggest that 3 months may not be enough time. I do not doubt your skill, but I doubt your ability to throw an entertaining routine that will engage all those children in the alotted time. I myself had to work atleast a year before I managed the courage to remotely perform for children! Also, I recommend that your show should not cross the 30 minute mark! It is always better to leave them wanting for more, then to make them bored. My last advice is, children will be children, and they are hard to control. A good crowd controlling device would be using colored masking tape, and forming a perimeter around the audience area. That way, you can convince them that the magic will not work unless they stay within those boundaries! It works wonders. So now that I've given you my two cents, please have fun with your work and make sure you give those children the show of a lifetime! Keep it silly, keep it simple, and keep it fun! My best wishes!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:37 am 
born to perform.

lucnguye92 wrote:
Performing for children is thankfully, my bread and butter and so I must recommend Hippity Hop Rabbits if it has not already been stated. Also, you said you use spongeballs? This would be a pretty good time to snatch a collection of various sponge shapes that aren't going to kill your wallet. I suggest sponge ball to rabbit, which could go very well with an impromptu pulling a rabbit out of the hat. Also, if you are going with the coloring book routine, might I suggest you add in a prop known as the "Confetti Wand". An explosion of colorful confetti will most definitely get the attention of those children. Please avoid card tricks at all costs, because most children will not (I am not saying this in a demeaning or insulting manner) be able to remember their card. And, if you do need to use a card trick, I suggest getting a deck of Jumbo Cards, and obtaining the Magician's Insurance Policy. Formulate a routine, and this trick will incite wonders. I wish you the best of luck, but might I suggest that 3 months may not be enough time. I do not doubt your skill, but I doubt your ability to throw an entertaining routine that will engage all those children in the alotted time. I myself had to work atleast a year before I managed the courage to remotely perform for children! Also, I recommend that your show should not cross the 30 minute mark! It is always better to leave them wanting for more, then to make them bored. My last advice is, children will be children, and they are hard to control. A good crowd controlling device would be using colored masking tape, and forming a perimeter around the audience area. That way, you can convince them that the magic will not work unless they stay within those boundaries! It works wonders. So now that I've given you my two cents, please have fun with your work and make sure you give those children the show of a lifetime! Keep it silly, keep it simple, and keep it fun! My best wishes!

Thanks a lot! I'm not that worried about time to prepare (though it seems like it may be more then 3 months after all lol) since I have babysat for years so I understand children pretty well and I know most of the kids I would perform for (my mom used to teach them and the idolize her lol)

Hippity Hoppity rabbits look great and I have been planing on getting the coloring book for a while. Thanks for the tip about the giant cards. I actually had a short Amazing Johnathan-esque gag involving them. I'd have a kid choose a card, grab another deck while they show the audience (which is 4 times the size) and have them place the card back in the deck. Then I would make a big show of trying to find it (worked great on the little girl I babysit for). I just recently got SPONGE which brings my spongeball collection up to 8. I was planning on getting some different color/shape/size sponges anyway as that is one of my most requested routines and I can't wait to try it out for the kids.

Thanks so much for your help... I'll def be PMing you later haha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:59 pm 
born to perform.

Luc is giving you some very good advice. I have been very impressed by his determination and patience in trying to learn the art of magic.

I also strongly urge against cards for children. If you absolutely must do cards, then I suggest substituting cards with pictures on them.

As Luc points out, crowd control is very important. Babysitting and being prepared for crowd control are two different things because you have so much to focus on during the show. It is a fine balance. I have always highly recommended volunteering for your recreation district and working with kids to learn the tools of how to deal with the very different personalities you will be subjected to. With that said, my daughter uses a "magic carpet" approach. As long as the kids are sitting on the magic carpet the magic happens, if they don't, unfortunately the magic is lost.... In this way the kids will happily re-trace their steps to insure the magic continues without ever having to disrupt the atmosphere by reprimanding a child--- which you never want to do!

Remember, your tricks are the least important part of the show. Being entertaining to all ages is the most important.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:44 pm 
born to perform.

haha thanks... I don't remember if I mentioned this but I actually used to teach at the religious school (where I would be doing magic) so thats what I meant i'm not too worried about the kids (since I was there teacher I am good with crowd control for this particular group and the fact that I know most of the kids and babysit add to that)

so far my list of kids tricks I want/have are:

Spongeballs
Hippity Hop Rabbits
Magic Coloringbook

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:00 pm 
born to perform.

I am not much on the coloring book only because I have seen it over-used so much that kids have actually said to us during a show setup, "you're not doing that colorbook thing are you?" The same with the stiff rope.

I think they dislike it because it is used the same-old-way as the instructions state. When using a common kid show prop try and think outside the box and use the prop in a new way that might not be familiar to the kids to bring new excitement to the illusion.

For example, we recently saw some good magician friends of ours add the coloring book to their all new children's show. I can't tell you what they did because it wouldn't be right for me to give away their performance of the illusions, but it was so well done and creative that it brought out a whole new element that made it exciting instead of just the same old coloring book. I found it very entertaining--- which is saying a lot!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 pm 

Kristen, good to see you back again. You are an example for all of us adults to emulate.

Paddy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:07 pm 
born to perform.

Paddy,

It is always good to see and talk to you. I thought I would stop by and see what everyone has been up to.

We are <still> working on a new routine for our daughter. She is obsessed with Alice in Wonderland right now--- her love of literature is showing--- and we have some great new ideas! Can't you see Alice coming out of the dollhouse? Lots of thoughts in the notebook. Now we just need to get some of them built. So many wondeful ideas can be found in books!

We have some exciting news to share, but wish to wait until everything is firm--- but rest assured, you'll be hearing from me as soon as they are a definite go!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:40 pm 
Penguin

Hurray Kristens back! :D And back to the point, I professionally have taken out the coloring book act, simply because I found it one dimensional and bland. Also, as Kristen has said, it has been overused to the point that it can be seen as a "Cliche" amongst most Kid Magicians. But, it is forever a foothold in children entertainment, so do not be discouraged from using it. Might I suggest reading up on Rope Magic? It is most certainly inexpensive and it is only limited by your sleight of hand, your knowledge of knots, and your imagination!

Also I find that it works greatly in your favor if you get the children heavily involved in your performance. I for one am a true believer in that art, as I allow the children to embrace the magic and take the spotlight amongst their peers. (Other children) But with all things, there will be cons, as you have to pick the right volunteer. You say you know these children, so it will rely on your better judgement. Another positive to having children volunteer, is you can make a short magical act expand drastically.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:27 pm 
born to perform.

Luc,

I agree with you on rope magic! First off, it is inexpensive for most people to get into plus it has a vast amount of storylines and routines you can create. One of my favorites to learn from is Daryl. I love watching his rope routines. Also, I personally feel he has some of the best quality rope on the market today. I love it.

Not everything in magic has to be "canned". The fun about magic is making it your own.

BTW, did I ever thank you for sending me your video links? I enjoyed watching them. Keep up the good work!