View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Remember The Adults In Your Kid/Family Show
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:54 pm 
Penguin

During any kids/family show, the #1 aim is the kids.

But in almost all cases, we have another group to keep in mind. The parents (adults). During any kids/family show you may perform, if adults are present, your overall goal would probably be to entertain all in the audience. I know I set my goals to this when putting together a show. To have everybody enjoy your show will leave a deeper memory in the minds of your audience and the chances of a successful show will probably be greater.

And with that, I'd like to give an example of a game (non-magic but appropriate since my current theme is games) that I have used with the older audience in some of my recent shows. A good time was had by all. The kids do enjoy having their parents involved. This can also involve an older brother/sister.

The game consists of 8 large cards with every two cards having the letter S on them, then the next 2 cards having the letter P, the next two cards the letter T, and the last two, the letter O. I call up 4 men and 4 ladies. The game is one where the men take on the ladies in a battle of the sexes. Each gender receives 4 of the 8 cards, one each of each letter as written above (so the 4 men have each of the 4 letters {1 letter per man} as do the ladies). It's a best out of 3 game. It's pretty much a game of scrabble where I say something and then it's a race of the genders to see who can spell the word first. The one I have played goes like this:

1) The opposite of bottom (the obvious answer is tops).

2) What happens when you come to a red light (answer: stop).

3) ______ and pans (answer: pots).

An alternate way to perform this is to simply say each word and let them scramble the letters to form the word. I may even go this route in the future since it would be easier for the younger ones to know the word. I also plan on writing the word on a large card and show it to the audience (not the volunteers, of course) to make it even easier to know and understand. With this alternate way, I will not use the word tops but would replace it with the word spot.

I would not perform this if the audience is mostly all very young children (ex. 4 year-olds). But a general scattered age has shown this to be very appropriate.

I hope this gives an idea on how you can include the adults in your kids show. Of course, it can always be magic related when you use adults as I have also done. An example would be to have a parent up there with their child and the child can perform something magical but the parent can't (think a 'change bag' effect). I enjoy going to a show and seeing the adults being used in it. It creates fun for everybody and even you as a performer will enjoy this.

Post subject: Re: Remember The Adults In Your Kid/Family Show
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:53 pm 
born to perform.

You're very correct Sneak. I have several skits that I include Parents in on. My last one is a Ventriloquist skit. It goes over very very well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:27 am 
born to perform.

Great to see you on the board again Sluggo! Haven't caught up with you in ages! :D

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:34 pm 
Penguin

Hi sneak,

This game is called POST and I've played it several times it's great fun.

Another answer you could have is dots (turn the p upside down) and then finally I have the answer as post then stand between the 5th & 6th person and ask them to turn the card over and it says "Thank you"

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:00 pm 
Penguin

Great idea, adamhill. Thanks!

And I never really did consider a name for the game but now I have one! :D