View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A *Magical* Moment for our Family
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:49 pm 
born to perform.

Mods, I am going to ask for a little leniency as I know this post really doesn't belong here. However, since this is really the only forum I post in I am going to request that you please allow it to stay here.

Our family has had a love of magic throughout our lives. My husband had a love for it when he was a young boy, just as I did when I was a little girl. I used to love going to the little magic shop that was downtown. My husband and I had to put that love of magic on hold however when the only magic shop in town closed it doors while we were still youngsters--- back then, we didn't have the internet. So you can imagine how we felt when our own daughter fell in love with magic at the ripe old age of 4 after seeing the wonderful comedic magician Dana Daniels on stage at Disneyland. I have the cutest video of her when she was little that I took after visiting Disneyland. She was twirling around in our living room playing it up for the camera (as most little ones do) and I asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up. Now you have to realize I was expecting her to say something along the lines of a "princess". Afterall, we had just been to Disneyland. Instead, as she twirled, she chanted out, "a magician, a magician, a magician!".

When she was 10 she joined the Society of American Magicians, and later the International Brotherhood of Magicians. She has been a strong member in our assembly ever since. For the first few years she belonged to the SYM and quickly graduated up to the adult group.

So where am I going with all this? I just wanted to show you how our love of magic developed and where it has led us. We have been supported by the kindest, most magical, people that we could ask for. When we first joined the SAM we had no idea the support and friendships that would develop in our own assembly and outside of it. We belong to a magical community that has blessed our lives for the better.

This leads me to the friends that I have made here. Those of you that I speak with on the phone and correspond with. So I know how happy you will be when I share some wonderful news with you about Danielle.

This past Christmas Danielle received an amazing surprise. She was contacted by IBM's Linking Ring Magazine. They wanted to know if they could feature her in an upcoming issue of the magazine in Millenial Rising: The Stars of Tomorrow. To say that she was honored was an understatement. Of course her dad and I are very proud of her--- but we are always proud of her no matter what. She's an amazing young lady.

I would like to invite my friends to please read this month's issue of the magazine. In one part or another, many of you have had a part of who she has become by lending your support and encouragement.

To the younger members here I want to just continue to encourage you to keep holding on to your dreams. Find your passion in life and work hard to achieve your goals. There are so many opportunities out there if you just keep believing in yourself.

Also, I want to encourage you to follow Kyle the Great's advice and encouragement that he shares here on the boards. For those of you that don't know, Kyle too was one of the "teen" magicians featured in the Linking Ring. He is setting some terrific goals for himself and making them happen, all while balancing that with college. He is a good person to listen to when you need advice because he's been in your shoes.

Wishing you all a lifetime of magic,

Kristen

Post subject: Re: A *Magical* Moment for our Family
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:38 am 
born to perform.

Hello Kristen, I read the article about Danielle and what a great read it was. After over 38 years in Magic, I still have the "magic" inside of myself. I truly live and breathe within our Arcane Art and have enjoyed a long career within the Magic Community. Paying it forward, is something I live by and I'm always eager to assist the younger generation learn more about the rich history of Magic. Congratulations and kudos to Danielle for being featured within the pages of The Linking Ring. Thank you, to you and your husband for supporting your daughter's endeavors throughout the years and the years to come. Live the Magic!!

bLiNdSiDe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:38 pm 
born to perform.

Finding your "magic" is one of the most important things you can do for yourself! I'm glad you have kept hold of yours. I am glad that Danielle stresses this messge in her routines and helps children to believe in themselves and their magic.

We were really pleased with the article. Cliff did a great job with it. He is certainly a very nice young man. Response to the article has been amazing! As of this posting she has already had 508 hits to her website since the article came out online the beginning of the month. Plus, the magazine is being delivered now!

Thanks for your kind words Blindside.

~ Kristen :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:39 pm 
Team Penguin

Congrats! I got the magazine about 3 days ago and just now had time to sit down and read the article. I know she's excited and honored, I was when mine was published a couple years ago! It's something more to add to her experiences in the world of magic. Having a several paged article about yourself published in an international magazine for your peers and fellow magicians to read is a big thing! I know you're proud!

I didn't realize Cliff was doing the articles now! I met him a couple years ago at a convention I was performing for in Tennessee. He added me on facebook shortly afterward and I've kept an eye on him...He's come a long way himself since then!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:15 pm 
born to perform.

Oh, you know me Kyle, I am definitely the proud mama. (ppsst, she just got her report card today too. GPA=4.57!) Yep, I'm a proud mama, just can't seem to help myself-- she's a good egg. LOL

Thanks for reading the article. I thought it came out nicely. Cliff did a great job. He is also an absolute little sweetheart! Really nice guy. I've enjoyed the short correspondence we've had back and forth. He is an extremely gracious young man and helped me to get the pdf format from the LR Editor to post on her website. He really went out of his way to help us.

I had a nice conversation with Bob the other day. We hadn't talked in a while so we spent about a hour on the phone just catching up. That was a nice addition to my afternoon.

That catches me up-to-date with my current magic happenings since we last talked. Dan has been busy working on the AIW Magic Hat illusion and it is really taking shape. You can see pics of it over on the Cafe in the workshop if you're interested at all.

Have a fantastic day and I will talk with you soon!

~ Kristen :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:53 pm 
Team Penguin

lol...of course you were on the phone with Bob for an hour...you can't get off the phone with him in less than an hour! But that's a GOOD thing ;) ! He's always fun to talk to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:39 am 

Kristen, I let my IBM membership lapse and missed the article but did see it on Whit's site where Dan posted it. Fantastic article. Keep in touch
Peter