View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jay Sankey's Paperclipped for Kids
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:23 am 
born to perform.

Now I don't know how many of you do Paperclipped, however on the DVD Jay says that he normally does not do this effect for kids. I have a gig tomorrow and I am going to be trying out a clever way to incorporate into a kids show. This will be the 4th time I will be doing a show for this group of kids and last time I was there I brought Rocky the Raccoon with me who they loved. I told them I would bring him again with me next time I showed up. I've decided that I will use Rocky in order to perform Paperclipped. I made up a little collar for Rocky to wear with a paperclipped card attached. I will bring Rocky out and explain how he had a psychi vision on the way here, grabbed a card from my deck and hung it around his neck. I will then go through the rest of the routine and have a kid choose and sign a card, return it into the deck and then have Rocky do his big reveal. What do you guys think? I'll let you know how it goes.

Just thought I would throw that out there for anyone who is looking to add something to their kids show

Post subject: Re: Jay Sankey's Paperclipped for Kids
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:32 am 
Penguin

I think that sounds excellent! I work with kids every day, and I certainly can see that working! Also the suspense could be played to the max!: If Rocky had the card around his neck during the entire show, the kids would notice it right away and might even ask what it is. If you then just say that "Rocky will show you later"... If the kids loved Rocky that much, maybe you should include him for more than just that one trick and use that suspense?

Please do let us know ;)

-Widding

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:20 pm 
born to perform.

I don't know about Jay, about that sounds like a great idea!

Maybe you can even get ALL the kids involved. Have them all write something on the card (but if you do, you should force a 2 or 3 for lots of space).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:37 pm 

Why not get rid of the card all together? Have one of the kids right their name on an index card for whatever reason, switch the card, destroy the card, remind the kids of Rocky (who happens to be blindfolded so that he can't see whatever they've written, and go from there. That's a VERY rough idea, but it could work. If you really want to do it with a card, give Rocky all the credit. He had the premonition. You could even make up a small blindfold to keep Rocky from seeing the card for this, too, because that in itself is a cute thing to do. Personally, I'd avoid making it a card trick. Whoever is the #1 kid at the show is going to get something special or whatever you can think of to get them to right now their name and how old they are and go from there. Ooh, had a great idea that I might just start using.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:43 pm 
born to perform.

duds wrote:
I don't know about Jay, about that sounds like a great idea!

Maybe you can even get ALL the kids involved. Have them all write something on the card (but if you do, you should force a 2 or 3 for lots of space).

Thanks! yeah I was thinking of doing that. It's a daycare so I could have them all sign it (and then they as a class can keep it)

exodus wrote:
Why not get rid of the card all together? Have one of the kids right their name on an index card for whatever reason, switch the card, destroy the card, remind the kids of Rocky (who happens to be blindfolded so that he can't see whatever they've written, and go from there. That's a VERY rough idea, but it could work. If you really want to do it with a card, give Rocky all the credit. He had the premonition. You could even make up a small blindfold to keep Rocky from seeing the card for this, too, because that in itself is a cute thing to do. Personally, I'd avoid making it a card trick. Whoever is the #1 kid at the show is going to get something special or whatever you can think of to get them to right now their name and how old they are and go from there. Ooh, had a great idea that I might just start using.

I LOVE the blindfold idea! I will deff be using that!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:41 am 
born to perform.

This idea sounds totally awesome. go for it zenn!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:15 pm 
Penguin

the idea isn't horrible.

My concern is with getting every child to sign it. The length that this will take is crazy and how are you going to fill that time? A lot of young children cant sign there name and some do it very large so it will cover the entire card.

Like always I am just playing the devils advocate and taking a look at the other side.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:46 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks guys it went really well! I ended up not using a playing card and used a method that me an Ex came up with. The kids really enjoyed it and it got a great response!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:56 pm 
born to perform.

I use a deck of "Fairytale" cards when doing effects for children.
You could also get a Disney deck of cards. That might make it easier for them to follow.