View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How much for a 30 min birthday show?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:31 pm 
born to perform.

Well, the title is self-explanatory. How much would you charge for a 30 minute birthday show?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:25 pm 
born to perform.

$75

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:52 am 

The price varies with where you are. The minimum I charge this year is US$150. That is very cheap in New York City or Los Angeles, but cosidered expensive in other parts or the country.

If you charge less than others in your area, they will make your life miserable. Join your local ring or assembly and ask there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:57 am 
Team Penguin

How much are ya worth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:20 am 
born to perform.

I only charge 30$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:16 pm 
born to perform.

Location: France - Chuckling at funny posts - In the CPC members base
Maloney123 wrote:
I only charge 30$.

LOLLLLLLL!!!!!!111sHIFT11!!!!!@@@

Last edited by Pauldela on Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:42 pm 
Penguin

WOW what’s with the low rates? Even my sister gives me more money then $30 for her kids birthdays and I give them the show as their present.

You need to be at least similar to what others in your area charge. For instance my base rate is $135 soon to be higher and it goes up to $180 (more if more kids). My average party falls on the higher end of that scale. My city has 600,000 people so it isn’t huge.

I question how anyone could even cover costs and give yourself any income with charging less then $100.

Anyone charging below par has no self confidence in their show and is definitely hurting the market.

On a side note at KIDabra this past week in one of the break out sessions one gentlemen said he only charged $100 for his show (sorry if you read this). This is horrible, in fact myself and some of the bigger names in our world exchanged some quiet jokes and laughs about that because it truly was laughable.

You can not be a professional and not charge a professional rate.

Last edited by Glamourboy on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:25 pm 
born to perform.

Glamourboy wrote:
WOW what’s with the low rates? Even my sister gives me more money then $30 for her kids birthdays and I give them the show as their present.

You need to be at least similar to what others in your area charge. For instance my base rate is $135 soon to be higher and it goes up to $180 (more if more kids). My average party falls on the higher end of that scale. My city has 600,000 people so it isn’t huge.

I question how anyone could even cover costs and give yourself any income with charging less then $100.

Anyone charging below par either has no self confidence in their show and is definitely hurting the market.

On a side note at KIDabra this past week in one of the break out sessions one gentlemen said he only charged $100 for his show (sorry if you read this). This is horrible, in fact myself and some of the bigger names in our world exchanged some quiet jokes and laughs about that because it truly was laughable.

You can not be a professional and not charge a professional rate.

If I start charging more I'm afraid I'll get rejected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:30 pm 
Penguin

If your product is worth buying, they will buy it. However, you do have to take into consideration the demographics of your area. Find out what other magicians or similar entertainers charge where you will be performing. That should give you a good idea of what to charge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:57 pm 
born to perform.

aevorce07 wrote:
If your product is worth buying, they will buy it. However, you do have to take into consideration the demographics of your area. Find out what other magicians or similar entertainers charge where you will be performing. That should give you a good idea of what to charge.

I'm the only magician in a 16,000 person town. And yes, I do a ton of great kids stuff. My own Hanky routine, Sponge Balls, Cut and Restored/Professor's Nightmare. I have a coloring book miser's dream and hippity hop rabbits on the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:26 pm 
born to perform.

Paddy gave you the best answer as to the fact that no one here can tell you what you should charge in your area. That takes market research. My daughter has always set her price based on what her mentor calculated as the prices in the area, which can differ vastly. It is determined on what side of the "bridge" we are on--- literally. One county is more affluent than the other, thus she can charge more.

You won't really know until you actually talk to magicians in your area, and to do that, its best if you join an Assembly or Ring as Paddy suggested.

To give you an idea though---

Her absolute minimum is a 15 minute show for $75.00.
If it is local, her 30 minute show is $125.00.

If it is not local she books only 30 minutes shows and it is a minimum charge of $150 plus a travel cost depending on location.

She recently was asked if she would consider performing in the City for an event next year and she quoted a minimum charge of $250 per the suggestion of one of her mentors for a 30 minute show.

So, as you can see-- there isn't always a "definitive" price to quote. It depends on the circumstances and where you are performing. If you are trying to establish a business, you must treat it as such, and thereby cover your expenses and still be able to make a decent profit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:14 pm 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
Paddy gave you the best answer as to the fact that no one here can tell you what you should charge in your area. That takes market research. My daughter has always set her price based on what her mentor calculated as the prices in the area, which can differ vastly. It is determined on what side of the "bridge" we are on--- literally. One county is more affluent than the other, thus she can charge more.

You won't really know until you actually talk to magicians in your area, and to do that, its best if you join an Assembly or Ring as Paddy suggested.

To give you an idea though---

Her absolute minimum is a 15 minute show for $75.00.
If it is local, her 30 minute show is $125.00.

If it is not local she books only 30 minutes shows and it is a minimum charge of $150 plus a travel cost depending on location.

She recently was asked if she would consider performing in the City for an event next year and she quoted a minimum charge of $250 per the suggestion of one of her mentors for a 30 minute show.

So, as you can see-- there isn't always a "definitive" price to quote. It depends on the circumstances and where you are performing. If you are trying to establish a business, you must treat it as such, and thereby cover your expenses and still be able to make a decent profit.

Your daughter is making the cash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:41 pm 

Maloney123 wrote:
Quote:

Yes and she is worth more. I've seen videos of her act. But to get back on the question, a town of 16,000 has more than 1 magician, I guarantee it. Google I.B.M. and find the nearest ring, go to a meeting and talk to them, they will have better ideas on rates. I talk to magi from Edmonton and their price range is CAN$135 to 150.

As long as you're entertaining, people will pay what you charge. You should get rejected!!! I know that sounds harsh, but if you're booking EVERY call, you're priced to low!! That's when I raised my prices. I started booking 100% of the calls. Now if my booking rate drops to 50% or less, then I'm too high and I will drop it. I also have a jerk price. if someone calls and want me for Friday night, and it's Wednesday, if I am open (and that is not very often) my price is US$175 for 1 hour and 275 for 2 hours. Cash only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:13 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:
Quote:

Yes and she is worth more. I've seen videos of her act. But to get back on the question, a town of 16,000 has more than 1 magician, I guarantee it. Google I.B.M. and find the nearest ring, go to a meeting and talk to them, they will have better ideas on rates. I talk to magi from Edmonton and their price range is CAN$135 to 150.

As long as you're entertaining, people will pay what you charge. You should get rejected!!! I know that sounds harsh, but if you're booking EVERY call, you're priced to low!! That's when I raised my prices. I started booking 100% of the calls. Now if my booking rate drops to 50% or less, then I'm too high and I will drop it. I also have a jerk price. if someone calls and want me for Friday night, and it's Wednesday, if I am open (and that is not very often) my price is US$175 for 1 hour and 275 for 2 hours. Cash only.

No, there really isn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:22 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:
Quote:

Yes and she is worth more. I've seen videos of her act.

Aw, thanks Paddy. :D

Always remember though that it shouldn't be just about the money. Magic and performing is about loving what you do-- the money is just a really nice bonus! The one thing I love to hear when reading feedback is how you can tell she really enjoys what she is doing.

Also, never book a show just for the money if it isn't the right venue for you.