View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: thinking...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:50 am 
born to perform.

latley ive been thinking about taking my magic to the next level, doign shows, i figured kids would be fun, but im wondering where i start? i do need a lil extra money and i figured why not get paid for something i love doing? how did you get your first gig? i dont think my magic is quite ready for shows yet, but im willing to work hard, its getting there. do kids give good reactions? im definatly not using cards, but definatly my sponge balls i will use a lot, any sources for a quality spongeball dvd or book?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:10 am 

Sorry, but from you writing ability I believe you are still a kid yourself. Stay in school and don't do parties until you're ready. Starting out with limited skills will destroy your reputation and you will never recover it.

From this and a previous question I would suggest you join the local IBM ring, learn from lthe magicians that have been around for a while and then begin a career in magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:52 am 
born to perform.

It is OK to start now developing the skills needed to become a professional magician or a part time pro. There are books (google) and videos on kid’s parties. There are supplies and props and effects to buy, practice and routines to rehearse.

But at this time, raking leaves, shoveling snow, and working at McD's are ways to make some extra money. These pay between five and 10 bucks an hour. It will take months or years of intense work to be ready for a professional gig where you will expect to make over 100 dollars an hour. Remember, you don't get paid this much because you just happen to be a magician, but because you deserve that much. Make sure you do. If you jump in too quickly, you will regret it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:42 pm 
born to perform.

paddy, so because u say my english is bad you think i am young? how old do you think i am? i am a kid, im almost 16, i just dont use proper grammer out of school. this is stupid that you even said that... im sorry but this made me mad, and you say im not ready and i shouldnt start, im pretty sure i stated that in the original post, the post was about where to start when i am ready... and how would you even know if im ready or not you have never seen what i can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:09 pm 
Penguin

Perhpas your spelling gave him the misconception that you were younger. Also spelling can play a large role in getting a job. If you are writing a letter to a restaurant or a contract for a big show, those errors could cost you the job. Now to your post, my first show was for charity in a book store, after my act kids came up for balloon animals, and I handed out a few cards. I got a few shows from that, and then some more shows from those. Of course not many then, because I wasn't that good of a performer. Now adays I have been getting some shows now and then, about once a month, not too good. So I am doing another charity (now that I am a competant performer) to get more jobs. So here's what you do, get some business cards, go to the library or book store, or even park district, and ask to volenteer to do a show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:13 pm 
born to perform.

I'd encourage you to go to college and still woring on your magic on the side. You won't regret down the road for getting a college education. I think Jay did exactly that. He attended college, worked on many different jobs and finally become a professional magician. Going to college and working on other jobs can not only widen your expereiences but can also add the extra sparks to your magic. Thanks for reading. :) I wish you all the best in your endeavors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:31 pm 
born to perform.

I am not thinking of becoming just a magician, i get good grades and im going to college, thanks for all your posts though i might start thinking about using better grammer in my posts from now on so people don't think i am a kid that hasnt passed fifth grade english yet. I love magic and will most likely do it all of my life, but probably never for my main job. btw does Sankey make a good living off of just magic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:47 pm 
Penguin

Jay Sankey is like a magician's magician. I don't think he does a lot of work outside making videos and lecturing, but maybe I am wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:35 pm 
born to perform.

esylvan wrote:
Jay Sankey is like a magician's magician. I don't think he does a lot of work outside making videos and lecturing, but maybe I am wrong.

Now he is a very well known magician. But I was reading his book and he stated that he had done sales, teaching, technical writing, and many other things. He also graduated from college. Not sure if his was majoring in English, or psychology, or philosophy, or some other liberal arts... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:19 pm 
born to perform.

thanks, but this didnt answer my question.. does he make a good living? good amount of money

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:26 pm 
Penguin

What do you consider good? Paddy is a full time professional, ask him how much he makes yearly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:01 pm 

mwnewman wrote:
paddy, so because u say my english is bad you think i am young? how old do you think i am? i am a kid, im almost 16, i just dont use proper grammer out of school. this is stupid that you even said that... im sorry but this made me mad, and you say im not ready and i shouldnt start, im pretty sure i stated that in the original post, the post was about where to start when i am ready... and how would you even know if im ready or not you have never seen what i can do.

I am glad that it made you mad. You say "i just dont use proper grammer out of school” that is YOUR FAULT. You are writing this for a bunch of people that have never, nor will we ever, see you or meet you. You first impression on me, and everyone else, is your improper use of the English language, your lack of respect for yourself because you don't capitalize "i" when referring to yourself, your laziness because you don't take the time to do the simplest thing, communicate, well.

If it makes you mad, do something about it. Start to communicate correctly and you may get the answers that you want.

You ask later if I as a full time magician make a good living, the answer is yes. How much I make is no one's business but mine but it is sufficient to suit my desires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:32 am 
Penguin

I want to say ...... I can't remember exactly who's it is but i wanna say Mark Wilson's encyclopedia of magic ......... its an awesome book I use one spongeball routine lasting almost ten minutes with a few of my own jokes and other than than its page for page in the book ....... when I joined the IBM i did cups and balls with the spongeball suprise ending finish and went into my spongeball routine and everyone was in awe

Awesome book i totally reccommend it!

Fat Boy :evil: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:52 pm 
born to perform.

Paddy, I am now glad that you insulted my grammer. It made me think, and now I've decided to use proper grammer.