View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rope Magic
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:56 am 
Penguin

Do any of you guys do rope magic for children besides Cut And Restored and Professor's Nightmare?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

I do a Lasso the Card trick which involves rope, if the kids are older. They choose a card and put it back in the deck. Then I say I will find it, and start pulling cards from my pocket. After several failed attempts at finding their card, they shuffle the deck and I have a bag they drop the cards into, then I pull a piece of rope out and dangle it in the bag, within seconds I pull the rope out and there tied to the end of the rope is their card.
Like I said this is for older kids (10 and up) being it involves cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:50 pm 
Penguin

I perform a modified version of Daryl's Rope Routine, but only for older kids. The younger kids are more easily amused by slipknots and the like.

Post subject: mmmm rope tastes nice
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:51 am 
Penguin

i think tabary rope magic would be good for kids shows. Although i suggest you make it look real kid like. i was practising once when my friends little sister came in and pulled the rope (i had two, secretly as one) and the rope came apart, i made it seem as if she broke the rope, and put a serious face on and she was laughing alot! so if you make a gag about someone breaking your rope then restoring it and breaking it again i think it would play good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:36 pm 
born to perform.

I do Rich Morata's "Knot Off Rope" with a "Knot Off Shoelace" patter. For older kids, I like doing Daryl's "Jumping Knot Of Pakistan" (aka: Pavel's Fantastic Knot).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:53 pm 
Penguin

fcchief wrote:
I do a Lasso the Card trick which involves rope, if the kids are older. They choose a card and put it back in the deck. Then I say I will find it, and start pulling cards from my pocket. After several failed attempts at finding their card, they shuffle the deck and I have a bag they drop the cards into, then I pull a piece of rope out and dangle it in the bag, within seconds I pull the rope out and there tied to the end of the rope is their card.
Like I said this is for older kids (10 and up) being it involves cards.

Very nice, where can I learn to do this trick.

Jean-Marc

Post subject: Re: Rope Magic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:41 am 

esylvan wrote:
Do any of you guys do rope magic for children besides Cut And Restored and Professor's Nightmare?

I do Jim Cellini's rope routine for the kids show. It is just set up differently and has a bigger effect when you start off with a long rope, cut and restore it then make 2 cuts and wind up with 3 lifferent length ropes, which I then throw out to the crowd.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:43 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
esylvan wrote:

I do Jim Cellini's rope routine for the kids show. It is just set up differently and has a bigger effect when you start off with a long rope, cut and restore it then make 2 cuts and wind up with 3 lifferent length ropes, which I then throw out to the crowd.

What kind of age groups do you play your rope routine for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:53 am 
Penguin

rigid rope... :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:16 am 

esylvan wrote:

What kind of age groups do you play your rope routine for?

All, from kids to adults. I adjust the patter a little if I have an all adult audience, not much but I use bigger words.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:25 pm 
Penguin

I do a rope routine where at one point the ends are pulled off leaving me a complete circle, would children as young as 3 or 4 understand this?

P.S. Do the kids get the puns, such as "It's over ear" or "This trick still has a couple loose end?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:56 am 

esylvan wrote:
I do a rope routine where at one point the ends are pulled off leaving me a complete circle, would children as young as 3 or 4 understand this?

P.S. Do the kids get the puns, such as "It's over ear" or "This trick still has a couple loose end?"

I pull the ends off a rope for kids all the time and they get astounded by it. Depends on the age of the kids for the puns. Over 5 and I think they do.

Last edited by paddy on Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:28 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for the great help Paddy.

Post subject: tabary
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:32 pm 
Penguin

consider the two Tabary videos. He's got some good 'out of the box' tricks with ropes, rings, etc. A little on the boring side, but top notch rope magic nonetheless.

Post subject: Escapes anyone?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:35 am 
Penguin

For kids 8 years and older, I use "In Again- Out Again" a rope tie where I let some of the older kids tie me up in a chair as tightly as they can, and then cover up my hands with a cloth. I'm out in a flash and tell them to pull the cloth up higher, which I do with my free hand, and then I shake the cloth off again to show I'm still tied as tightly as before. Cloth back on and I pull out one hand to point at a kid's showand say "Your shoe is untied." Then I'm back in again and pretending to struggle to get out.