View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:18 pm 
Penguin

The problem with PB and J, and Joker Tube, and Coloring book, is ever single magician on this site is saying to do it. Well if we all do the same thing, then that just flat out sucks. Besides, a lot of people on this site, have minimal expirience performing, if any. Take a look at the tricks they say, but don't buy them because they recomend them. The trick isn't what makes the magic, it's you who does.

Post subject: show
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:07 am 
born to perform.

Asteel,
TT stands for one thumb and the other is tip. Vanboden is correct when he said that even before you start on a routine you have to decide what kind of entertainer you are going to be.
Choose your personality.
Bumbling, confused, nervous, absent minded, very stand up. Write down on paper your personality. Once you pick it stay with it. If you bounce back and forth it will be confusing and they won't believe who you are.
Most of all be fun, have fun yourself because they can tell if you aren't really having fun. Laugh and cut up with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:10 am 
Penguin

You need to buy Kids Kards.its a great visual even if you dont do card tricks for the.Just explain to them when you were there age you made a set of your own cards and go from there :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:18 pm 
Penguin

Local I have to disagree with you. Kids Kards is a great effect but for adults. I have it and I believe from using it as much as I do the reaction you will get from a child is not a good one. Dont get me wrong it is a great effect! But for the adults it is a great effect. You lose the kids before the effect is over.

Well said Sluggo! We seem to be on the same page about things! I like that. May I ask what field of magic you are into? I do kids shows, dove illusions, resturant and so on and so on.

Vonbodan

Post subject: sluggo
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:48 am 
born to perform.

Vonboden,
I do mostly Kid shows, some corporate picnics and have done some restaraunt work. Have done some walk around at Kings Island and the Coliseum here in Cincy.
I've done a couple adult shows but not much. I've been in numerous parades and did my first Circus last year. I have a web site that shows and explains some of the things that we do. I have read numerous books on the topic (kids) I attend about three to four conventions a year where classes are given on kid shows. DvD's tapes yep several of those. I have a flipping library of this stuff.
It appears by your postings that you have done your homework on this topic and I'd guess that you put on a good show, It's good to see that.
I honestly feel that if you are going to charge someone $100.00 or more an hour they deserve to get the bang for the buck. As far as tricks I have everything from the TT, joker tube, P&J, Circus wagon, change bag, dove pan to name a few. I've probably spent approx. $1,000.00 this past year on magic and other kiddie show items, along with what I already had(whew). But the way that I look at it you have to spend money to make it. I just put in a live rabbit bit with the circus wagon. If you want to check out the site here it is. www.sluggosmagicgiggles.com
What part of the Country are you from?
Best of luck,Sluggo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:41 am 
Penguin

sponge balls

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:29 pm 
Penguin

Sluggo

I am from Westland, Michigan.

I have spent outrageous amounts of money on all my different types of shows. So I know what you are talking about there.

I like using live animals for my kids shows and for my school shows for the kids. So Use a variety of different types of animals: Doves , Snakes, Rats, Bats, Iguana, Chin Chila, English long haired rabbit, Spiders. I have a zoo over here. So my next shows are going to be charging addmission in my house to walk thru my zoo! Just kidding.

Something you had said that is very true. I would like to share it with everyone here. Learn as much stuff as possible. Because the more you learn in different areas it opens so many more doors that would stay shut to you. For some examples: Learn to juggle, Learn to make balloon animals, Face painting and ETC. You guys think about it trying to get booked for shows. The more you have to offer the better your chances are to get booked. So their is some advice to you guys starting out.

You must have you character defined and scripted out and rehearsed! Your custome and routine need to flow together. Once you get that NEVER LEAVE THAT! Everything from what you say to the music should flow like running water all the same way! Once you got that down guys. Add to your skills. Learn something else to add to your shows. Balloon animals are great for kids shows. Well I hope this has given you guys something to think about. Just knowing how a trick is done does not make you a magician. Putting the things I have just said together does! Good luck to you!

Vonbodan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:36 pm 
Penguin

ah..... just a quick question: do you have one script/show that you use at every party? like if you go to one party and then another its the same thing?(i just want to know, not really into kids shows magic stuff)

Post subject: Matt
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:08 am 
born to perform.

Matt,
If you go from one party to the next you will probably do the same show because you have all the things with you. I designed a table about three feet high, 18 inches wide with about four shelves in the back to hold my stuff in order that they come out.
Unless you carry some extra stuff in the car (hassle) you will tidy it all up after the first show and go to the next gig with everything ready to go. If you look up suitcase tables (net), great for doing shows and carrying your magic stuff. but will cost around $350.00. So I got the design and made one myself for about $75.00 and it's as good as the other ones. I would suggest doing that if you get serious about doing shows.
It's on wheels so transporting it is easy. I covered it with grey carpet like material with red tassles around the top with my silk banner on the front with the name of my business Sluggo's magic giggles. Bright colors of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:01 pm 
born to perform.

Peanut and butter illusion most definentely and maybe even ajoker tube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:37 pm 
born to perform.

sluggo and vonbodan you guys seem like you know what you are talking about so i have a question.

i am in the process of making my first good show. do you think that the theme of fake animals is good?

for instantce: i have zombie ball. although i tell them that it is my pet named _____(i let them pick a name at the show). he is a bird and i trained him to do tricks. he dances (i make it look like he dances)........ then i say i taught him to stay. at this moment he flies away and i grab him just in time (i have tested kids laugh at this).

another fake animal is a red handkerchief. i tie it into a not and it looks like a mouse. i use the change bag and make it change colors and i continue from there.

i also do sponge rabbits.
anyway. this is my idea. do you guys approve of it or should i change my idea or what. don't worry i can make changes because it is still in the idea mode.

thanks
ben w

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:06 am 
born to perform.

Ben,
Kids love animals, so yes this is a very good idea. Before jumping right into your show do you first have some good warm ups to get the kids warmed up to you?
This is something I always suggest as it lets the kids know that you are in control but will be a lot of fun. It also shows them that if they follow your lead it will always be fun.
If you don't let me know and I'll give you some examples that you can use or get some ideas from it to design your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:15 am 
born to perform.

no i don't have any warm ups. can you please give me some examples.

thanks
ben