View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kids Show Kliff Notes!!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:12 pm 
born to perform.

Does anyone have this? Is it good? Im thinking of getting it?

Really urgent. :shock:

Last edited by laxmaster92 on Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:22 pm 
born to perform.

Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:40 am 
Penguin

People put too much emphasis on technique in kids shows. Kids shows are easy. Make cheesy jokes once in a while, be silly, and have fun.
What tricks you want to do are up to you, but pretty much any OK stage effect will do.
Just make sure to appeal to the kids.

Post subject: test
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:38 am 
born to perform.

test

Last edited by sluggo on Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: kid shows
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:36 pm 
born to perform.

Lax,
Anything that you can get on the subject will help. Several sites that you can get some info fairly cheap (books,DVD"S) are at:
Sammy Smith (sps.com)? David Ginn or Steve kissell at comedy magic workshop or kentucky clown derby.
They have some really useful stuff to get you going in the right direction, then it is up to you to put your touch to it.
For someone with the vast experience of Hyperion in this field, I can't believe he would make such a ludicrous comment. It's easy? all you have to do is put in some cheesy jokes, be silly and have fun??? Wow news flash kid show performers, hyperion's got a new technique. Another (teenage professional).
Lax, I think you are too smart to swallow that line. If you want a so so show like his, don't put much into it, but if you want one that packs a punch and they will remember, put emphasis on technique- detail-presentation, your whole show. Be the best, don't take the easy route.
Best of luck to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:04 pm 

Hyperion wrote:
People put too much emphasis on technique in kids shows. Kids shows are easy. Make cheesy jokes once in a while, be silly, and have fun.
What tricks you want to do are up to you, but pretty much any OK stage effect will do.

I respectfully disagree. As a magician who has performed professionally and semi-professionalf for kids over the last 25 years, take it from me that kids are perhaps one of the MOST DIFFICULT audiences to perform for.

One of the key reasons is that kids believe anything is possible. So, it's much more difficult to pull anything over on them. With adults, our ability to think logically often works against us when viewing a magical effect.

Secondly, kids have an extremely short attention span. As a result, it is absolutely essential to have a well thought out, well routined, and well practiced show. There's nothing more embarassing than seeing children leaving in the middle of your show.

Third, you are actually performing for two separate audiences. The kids who are attending the function, and the adults who are paying you. If you do a sh***y job, with little or not preparation or effort, you will never likely get rehired or referred again.

YOU OWE IT TO YOUR CLIENTS AND YOUR AUDIENCE TO PUT TOGETHER THE BEST SHOW POSSIBLE. OTHERWISE, AS JAY SANKEY ONCE SAID, "THERE ARE A LOT OF STAMPS TO COLLECT!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:29 pm 
Penguin

I have it. A lot of the tips will be known to old-timers but there are a few nice new ideas in here.
If your starting out it's a pretty usefull guide to a lot of tricks in the trade. I wish I'd had it when I started it would've saved a lot of learning from mistakes.
I'd been performing full-time for a few years when I did purchase it though so a lot of the tips and points where old hat by then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:45 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks Sluggo. Yea I didnt swallow what that guy was saying. :lol: I want to be as prepared as I could before I start. I think Im going to get This. CAn I have some more suggestions?

Post subject: show
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:53 pm 
born to perform.

Lax,
I will pm you to give you a good layout to get you started. It's great to see a young fellow willing to sacrifice and work toward doing a great show instead of a lame show just to get paid.
I'll go down and pull out some titles to books that I feel will really help you.
I'll give you some of the tricks I do and some of the patter and layout in order to keep these little titans attention.
I'll get back in touch tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:56 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks so much Sluggo. I really appreciate that.

Post subject: Kid's Show Advice
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:43 am 
Penguin

Hyperion wrote:

I'm glad you made this post. I've been reading a lot of these kid's show posts, and this is by far the best advice on this subject. I agree with you 100%. It's not about the tricks, it's about entertainment. It's about connecting with the audience.

The same is true in all magic shows (adult or kids). It's just a matter of using different techniques for the connection. Adults like semi-intelligent humor, whereas children like silly, goofy stuff.

Jeff Stone