View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: First show
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:16 pm 
born to perform.

hey guys, im not a beginner in magic but you could call me a beginner in dealing with kids, i never spent money on tricks for kids, because i didnt do shows, i didnt think i would need to , but then i thought that i needed more money if i wanted to continue magic, so a couple days ago my dads boss came over for lunch and i showed him a few tricks ( Colour monte, some card changes, triumph, and 2 card monte) we had little time so i didnt show him anything really fancy. He asked me if i did shows, and beffore i could even THINK of saying something he said , ill pay u 200 dollars to do a one hour show :shock: :shock: :shock: ...LOL. i was reading some posts earlier and i read some people chatge 75 an hour and this guy is willing to pay 200, well its because his duaghter loves magicians and they hired one on her last birthday but he thinks im better so he wants to book me 8) LOL, well yeah i never did tricks for kids, but im smart enough to know what would keep them interested, so i made up this little routine , and i just want to know if its in a good order and some i dont own and will purchase if i get good feedback so here it is:

1st: Appearing cane (dont own this) (before this im going to open with a hankerchief vanish and then making it reappear, and then turning it into a cane (is that a good idea?)
2nd:Zombie ball (have this)
3rd: Peanut buttter and jelly illusion (dont have this)
4th: D lites (have this)
5th: Some kind of rope trick, can anybody help me with which one?
6th: going to end with Disapearing cane trick (is that a good idea? opening with appearing cane and closing with dissapearing cane?

can u guys please help me?

thanks you

-Anik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:05 pm 
Penguin

I can see the Anik bashing right now.

I'll try to be gentle.

FIRST, it looks like he's paying you a professional salary (a good professional salary at that) and you don't even have close to a good/entertaining show and not even close to a professional one. And even if it was put together in a professional manner its not close to an hour show; I don't care what kind of presentation skills you have.

SECOND, I don't care what the effect is or how simple in nature it may seem you can't go out and buy a trick and expect to present in a convincing/magical manner without adequate practice (i.e. the appearing and vanishing cane).

THIRD, Some kind of rope trick? "can someone help me?" Are you serious?!!!!!!

FORTH, you know what I'm not wasting my time on a forth. What you need to do is call that nice man up and tell him, "I'm sorry sir I must of been outside of my cotton pickin mind to accept your offer of $200 to do a show I am ill prepared for, but I'd love the opportunity to get some experience and come do some tricks at your daughter's b-day party, is $10 ok? (and that’s what you're going to be paying him to let you come)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:14 pm 
born to perform.

Let me spell this out for you.

You're dead.

If you don't have the act already, there's a pretty good chance that you're already screwed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:26 pm 
Team Penguin

Lets not be too harsh...

You do need to come down on the price quite a bit though...If he is not satisfied with the show for $200, Then he will let you know :wink:

Be confident in yourself and work up a nice little routine. Performing kidshows isn't just about performing either... They probably could care less to see a two card monte. Kidshows is more about entertaining and bonding with the children, Then let the magic seep through. It takes a few shows to get used to that. If the kids don't like you, then you will not last long in front of them. After all...kids are the toughest cridics!

Note: My first Birthday show was $25 then I worked my way up to the price of $75. People told me that I was good and undercharging myself, so I bumped it up to $125 and now I am charging $180. I have been doing kid shows for 6 years now.

You have to work your price up from the bottom to get serious in the business. Get your name out (after you get a routine together)

First few show don't charge much but do charge enough for your time. Once people start booking you more, then you can up the price a little.

the main thing that is a need to learn is BONDING AND ENTERTAINING THE KIDS! You have to make them like you by being active and entertaining. They are not like adults who sit back and oooh and Ahhh...they get up and scream with joy if they like something! And they will yell out loud if they know how something works.

Oh, you asked about a rope trick... I do about a 41/2 minute long cut and restored rope routine, If you are interested in the routine, then I will gladly send it to you through e-mail, or if you have msn messenger that would probably be better. e-mail me at kjmagic33@hotmail.com

Hope this helps :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:46 pm 
Penguin

Location: Southern California, United States of America, Earth, Milky Way
Okay, I know what you are looking for and I know why you are a little dissapointed in these peoples posts and not answering your questions. This is what I think you should add:

Joker Tube
The Hippity Hop Rabbits
Slush Powder (Super Gel) (Kids and adults like this)
Magic Coloring Book

Post subject: rip off
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:26 pm 
born to perform.

Anik, Have you read other posts to people that is ready to rip people off???? So you know a few card tricks and other stuff..who doesn't! Standing up in front of kids and doing a GOOD show is a whole other story.
An unsuspected person wants to hire you to do a show for him and you don't have a show. It's no different if someone ask you to get up on stage and perform a musical piece with a flute and you don't know how to play the flute!(would you do it?) If you have any decency in you at all, if you have any
credibility, you would tell this man that this is your very first show and any self respected (future) entertainer would never charge somebody more than $25.00 for their first show. He is doing you a favor in getting your greedy little feet wet and paying you at all. You have not invested anything toward this so you are not losing anything.
Don't have your Father lose face with his boss because his greedy kid is wanting to perform a rip off.
Maybe Hyperion can post you a show with all of his expertise. In all honesty kid, do the show but in the mean time bust your butt with practice.. the show will probably suck but you have learned from this and don't charge the guy above $25.00. Supersexy, you had me laughing, You said you were going to be gentle.. by your fourth reason you couldn't take it no more you lost it.. I think that is a sign of someone who respects his craft..take some deep breaths, I've lost mine with people like this.(ha) AAAGGGGHHHH!!!! not another one!

Last edited by sluggo on Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:26 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks Ericvz and KyletheGreat the adivce helped

Edited, Profanity and attacking someone will not be tolerated. You asked for advice, and if you cannot accept honest constructive criticism, then don't ask for advice or help. fcchief

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:00 pm 
born to perform.

[quote="Anik"]Thanks Ericvz and KyletheGreat the adivce helped
EditedHe's trying to help you. $200 is an insane price! Souper it was nice of you to reply so nicely. BTW you spelled "would" wrong, it's not "wood."

Last edited by LordLanceIII on Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Hmm.....
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:02 pm 
Penguin

Wow lol. That’s funny! Anyway, I think you will do well if you get some cooler tricks. Like ericvz said, you should include the Joker Tube (An excellent trick for kids) The Hippity Hop Rabits is a good one, the slush powder is also good. I would also recommend that you get some mouth coils. But these tricks all depend on how old the kids at the party will be.
Do you know the age group you will be performing for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:05 pm 
born to perform.

LordLanceIII wrote:
Anik wrote:
EditedHe's trying to help you. Way to go and flame him. BTW you spelled "would" wrong, it's not "wood."

flame him? look at what he did to me, if he really wanted to be gentle he couldve just said , practice more and i dont think hes paying you a good price, hes the one who flamed me

and about the "wood" i was being sarcastic , if you dont get it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:32 pm 
born to perform.

Anik wrote:
LordLanceIII wrote:
Anik wrote:

EditedHe's trying to help you. Way to go and flame him. BTW you spelled "would" wrong, it's not "wood."

flame him? look at what he did to me, if he really wanted to be gentle he couldve just said , practice more and i dont think hes paying you a good price, hes the one who flamed me

and about the "wood" i was being sarcastic , if you dont get it

Of course I get it. So was I.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:32 pm 
born to perform.

Disreguard this, I reposted the above at first here.

Last edited by LordLanceIII on Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:56 pm 
born to perform.

Anyway, since no one will give advice I'd be glad to.

First of all, this is not a $200 show. Depending on the number of people, I'd top off the price at $60. There is no really big illusion, and it is a relatively short show. I would spend more time on getting some more tricks to add, or a large illusion.

An illusion doesn't have to be 100's of dollars. My best trick cost me around $25 for instructions and materials. I use Andrew Mane's Bisection. Very inexpensive and gets great reactions.

1. Go with appearing cane. I wouldn't make the hankerchief reappear, as it appears it turns into the cane.

2. Next do the rope trick. Do Equal-Unequal Ropes (Like $3) It's a good litlle rope trick that I use in my shows.

3. Add in another trick. My suggestion is a change bag effect. I'd buy a change bag and either make up a routine or buy a Blendo silk set. You can doI nice torn and restored newspaper routine with it witch I sometime use. With a change bag the possiblities are endless.

4. Add in another trick. My suggestion is sponge balls. Since you have a ton of time, I'd buy some and learn the sleights for them. Practise every day for maybe 20 minutes and you'll have them down in a week. Get a sponge video for routines. I have "25 tricks with Sponge Balls".

5. Now do PB&J. I don;t add in the bonus trick (the making of a PB&J sandwitch). I just create comedy by pretending not to know about them switching.

6. D'lite Routine. Do your routine. Don't personally use them but my friend does. Cool to at the end change the light into that color silk.

7. Zombie. I let it "pull me around the stage" or performance area. Good reactions from it.

8. Illusion or large climax. Finish with a big trick. Like an escape (Mail Bag Escape) or Bisection, or any big or dangerous trick (Portable Sawing In Half, Sphere, any ANdrew Mane). Or if you don't have one skip this. I recomend a big climax trick though.

9. End with the dissapearing cane. Yes, it's a great idea.

There you have it. Your show with my personal preferences. Please tell me if this is helpful. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:41 pm 
born to perform.

LOL i was being saracastic about being sarcastic :roll: LOL

yeah that helped alot, and yeah im sorry if it sounded like it, but the tricks that i wrote i didnt say those were ALL for one hour, obviousley i know all those tricks wouldnt cover an hour, i just numbered them so it would be easier then just sayin here are my tricks, the only think i did in order was the dissapearing and appearing cane, i didnt say that was my routine, and i know a sponge ball routine , i have them i just didnt know if i should add it

thanks lordlance your adivce helped the most

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:00 am 
Team Penguin

Well...you have to develop good routines for these props as well...

It's not too good to stand up and say "here is a trick" as I have seen some magicians do.

I think that you could do a great job if you want to and if you put a good bit of effort into it. I have learned how do deal with kids and perform for them from some of the best Kidshow magicians around, David Allen, David Ginn, (I have quite a few of his books as well), and a little from Ken Scott.

If you have any questions about any routines or anything just send me an e-mail or make a thread concerning routines for kidshows using certain props.

To have a good show, you do not have to just go out and buy a bunch of tricks...You can make a lot of props from stuff lying around the house. I made quite a few of my earlier props, and they worked really well.