View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: show
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:52 am 
born to perform.

LanceIII sorry I goofed.
Kyle, you may do a lot of improv, but your shows have a certain routine that goes with it. I am sure for every trick you have a certain dialogue and you improv from that. There is a certain start and finish to everything and then you take what the kids bring up. If you have no idea what you are going to say and you just go off the cuff you are the only person I know that does it that way.
It appears as if it works for you, but you have experience at it. Anik doesn't have anything to start with, so to tell him to improv from the get go is extremely hard to do.
I have certain puns and comments I do, I don't have a ceratin time I do them I improv them in, but they are apart of the routine. Is that what you are saying, cause I can't picture going into the show and not having a certain routine for every trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:04 pm 
Penguin

"How much do you want to bet?" "Man I bet you my whole next weeks allowance," I mean goodness how old are we?

*Anyway*

Responding to something else you said about people practicing and not practicing and bombing. If you say you practiced/prepared and you bomb, then I say you didn't practice and prepare like you should of which would be:
:arrow: practice practice practice each trick individually until, as paddy would say, do it in your sleep
:arrow: ppp each trick individually with the patter
:arrow: properly routine the tricks with transitions (and yes there is a way to routine your effects that is more effective than others)
:arrow: ppp your routine
:arrow: you're own your way now!
:arrow: FREE SHOW for the fam and friends (or worst case go get fido)
:arrow: Make any changes in timing and overall show you feel appropriate
:arrow: FREE SHOW (after this refer to previous step until you have what you believe to be a marketable show)

FYI: my initial point about practice and bombing was for you kyle, but all those little steps were for Anik and people like him. (If I'm missing anything feel free to edit, as I'm sure you all will)

As not to seem too long winded I'm going to continue talking down below... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:32 pm 
Penguin

Improvisation, though it may be spontaneous and unrehearsed experience from other shows can help. Improv is reacting to a situation not being totally random, and so even though a trick going wrong, or a kid heckler can/are spontaneous your reaction to them doesn't have to be. I have a 2 or 3 lines at my disposal if ever an effect goes wrong, and deal with heckling children for the most part in a pretty consistent way. I'm not saying you can prepare for everything, but the more experience one has the better off you'll be (excuse me for being Mr. obvious).

I don't believe that all your "experience" has to be first hand I have learned a lot from watching other performers and how the present their selves and deal with mis-haps.