View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How Old?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:40 pm 
Penguin

I am thinking about doing some kid shows. For those with expierience on this usually how old are the kids at the shows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:47 pm 
Team Penguin

any age, just do not treat big kids like little ones and do not treat little kids like older ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:50 pm 
born to perform.

Ages 10 and under is a hard age to perform on. The kids get restless very quickly. As a magician you need alot of patience. This age the kids don't really appreciate magic and you need to keep things flowing. Card magic is almost out of the picture. Personally having performed with this age group for quite awhile, I prefer ages 11 and up.

Post subject: ;
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:21 am 
born to perform.

I have found kids five on up if presented properly are very interested in what you are doing, Under five is difficult. Also how the show is set up makes a big difference.
You can't allow any disruptions in the room.I.E. ADULTS in the room talking to one another, smaller kids playing in the same room. I always ask the parents to have the adults to be in another room IF they are going to chat, except one adult must stay in the room, TV's turned off ANY distractions gonzo. If you have a quick paced show where you interact with the tikes can work. In kid shows you MUST have them participate actively in the show.
As before, I have said you can get lots of good books on the subject and I highly recommend you read them before jumping into this. One book The birthday party business 'making a living as a children's entertainer is one the other by David Ginn's Clown magic is also perfect to get great ideas on this subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:53 am 
born to perform.

I agree. I like parents to sit with their kids, not with each other, and definately not standing in the back of the room. I cannot believe how rude they can be.

I have more experience with adult shows, where kids are present, and I have trouble with the parents assuming I am doing a kids show and they will go to the back to talk. So, there, they have to sit with their kids, because it is a show for the adults, first, and for the kids.

One thing to remember, is you can sometimes do an effect for one or two kids, and have it go over well, but bomb when there are five or more. I have had success with cards with kids as young as eight, it I do it one on one. But you do cards with a group of kids that young and there is no way.

It is much harder to do magic for kids, then some people immagine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:24 pm 
Team Penguin

Well, that really depends on how good you are with the kids.

I for one have never had a problem with them getting bored. All ages have their particular way of being entertained. You find that way, then you are on the road to being a great performer and entertainer.