View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:41 pm 
Penguin

i go from about 4 - 5 and my routine consists of alot of involved sponges.... kids love the way they feel and its very understanding and involving when u put it in their hands..... they actually think they are doing the magic..... i use the silk and wand ....... face it kids that young like to look at everything, they are the age to where they are learning by touch and sight so most of everything i do is completly inspetable..... with kids that young, is that u can imply more comedy without trying... pretend to be looking for a scarf all through your briefcase or bag and look under your table and all around, gointo the crowd loooking for it, while the whole time it is hanging out of your back pocket... kids will laugh opening them up to your magic.... i never do magic for 9 - 12 year olds..... ever...... they are too snatchy and grabby.... they must inspect everything, but unlike the 4 -5 year olds, they have to bang it on the ground scratch at it, and ask over and over to see the same trick twice..... so theres my 2 cents on kids and magic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:46 pm 
born to perform.

i uhh....recoment not even doing REAL magic for them........you know...like, close your hand, "the coin is in here blah blah blah" then open it and its gone

you know :roll:

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:14 pm 
born to perform.

Do that and you have a kids party going wild. Kids now are use to the fast pace world of TV. You'd better entertain them or they will find something else to do it.
They are smarter than you think, closing your hand and saying now it's gone blah..blah.. the parents who are paying you will probably help you out the door quicker than you came in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:13 am 
Penguin

I do shows starting at this age (3 years old) and well I have entertained at 32 year old parties. Now granted I dont do things like coloring book for the adults. But as far as what kinds of things to use or do? My suggestion is this anything with animals is a great seller. lots of colors. Sponge balls is another great thing to use. I hope that helps.

Vonbodan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:50 pm 
born to perform.

TomBaer wrote:
That age group is hard, good luck. I don't go below 10 years old.

Are you serious? For birthdays, I'd say the complete opposite...I love performing for 5/6 year olds...They are usually the most amazed and most active and participative in the tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:52 pm 
Penguin

Four and Five year olds are perfect, and not too young at all. I just did a show for 4 year olds, they ate it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:39 pm 
Penguin

I think 3 year olds are fine to entertain for. You gotta keep in mind not everyone at the party is going to be 3, just the birthday boy/girl.

I have found that the magic coloring book can stump and mystify the adults as well. (I don't know what that says about my clientele. :roll: )

Just keep in mind simple, colorful and big if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

I have a short show this Saturday for some 5-7 yr olds. When I say short the parents want about a 20 minute show. I figure some work with a TT, producing a colorful streamer, followed by the magic coloring book. A short cut and restored rope (alluding to shoelaces and how mine broke and all I could find was a long way - courtesy of Terry Herbert, I may try P&J or Hippity Hop Rabbits closing with a Dove pan production of taffy. Short but good visual effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:56 pm 
Penguin

4-5 year olds are fine to do magic to do!Just don't do card tricks.They are too hard to follow for them :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:51 pm 
Penguin

Cant belive no one has mentioned the racoon trick i remember that as a kid and we are talkin years n years ago but i remember my friends and myself totaly loved the racoon that would go wild and "talk in the magicians ear" like one idea would be the racoon whisper in your ear then let the kids know the racoon has just told you its ............... birthday today.

Post subject: BRIGHT EASY STUFF
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:47 pm 
Penguin

i think you should do tricks that are colorful and visual. You should also do stuff theat is easy understand like makin somethin disapear and NO mentalisms or card tricks. I sugest multiplying bunnies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:12 pm 
born to perform.

sponge balls is good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:19 pm 
Team Penguin

You guys just have to learn how to entertain children that age. Crowd controla and entertainment go hand in hand for children that age. If you are a good enough kidshow magician, you should be able to perform for kids 3 1/2 to 4 and up. You just have to figure out what gets their noodles going!

From ages 1 to 3 1/2, children usually do not get magic that much because they are new to the world and everything is magical to them. They do not know the boundaries between reality and surreality, or where the laws of nature end.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:17 pm 
born to perform.

Even if the party is for a one year old the parents usually want to make it a big deal and have entertainment for the other kids which range from one to whatever.
I've done a lot of parties for one year old BD's, but the other kids are older. Just ask the parents what the ages will be, don't turn down an opportunity to perform for kids.
It equals experience and cash.

Post subject: Just do it!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:45 pm 
Penguin

I'm gobsmacked.
First, I agree with free shows because I can reach those who can't pay. Secondly, everyone else in the world has the absolute right to ask for and receive fair remuneration. My wee nursery gigs pose no monetary threat to the working artists.
I have taken the time and invested thousands of dollars in academic training of 4 to 8 year olds and have helped many children with their lives. So the banjo playing missus from Georgia and I agree again.
Yet young magicians please read the previous posts..the munchkins are a blast to work with. Rocky Raccoon is so good it's.....!!!"
Now a serious thing. I am going to have to agree with Sluggo :wink: There..I've done it.
Young magicians, please listen to his belly talking lessons. Axtell's Magic Board waxes little kids to the floor. We ventriloquists to magicians are like brothers/sisters like Aikido and Judo
Ron0