View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: how old
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:40 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 May 2003
Posts: 109
how old do u hav to be to start kid parties with 3-6 or 7 year olds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: how old
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:45 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Posts: 3146
Location: New Jersey
WMilliman wrote:
how old do u hav to be to start kid parties with 3-6 or 7 year olds

At least over 16 as far as i know.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:34 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 24 Jan 2004
Posts: 66
Lots of people have their opinions on ages, but I think you should really look at how much you have performed. If you have done tons of card magic and close up magic, that doesn't mean you are ready for a kid's show. Also, do you know the kids, or are you wanting to perform parties on a regular basis? If it's just one show for your little cousins, I don't think age matters much, but if you are wanting to do this consistently, then the older you are, the better (I'm assuming you're a teen). People take adults more seriously than kids, its just how life is.

Look around the boards, do a quick search, and I bet you will find much more useful information than this. This topic is one that has been discussed many many times.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:58 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 25 Jun 2004
Posts: 3016
Location: Why do you need to know? Are you a stalker?
its not the age it is the maturity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:53 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 987
Location: Ireland
LPU wrote:
its not the age it is the maturity


Well I will have to disagree with you there. In my option its not the age its the skill and capability of performing. If you can entertain and if you are good at what you do that's all that matters.

As far as ''maturity'' for the adults yes you have to be mature, As for the kids you want to be anything but mature. I mean look at Jay Sankey he doesn't act very mature but he is great at what he does.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:00 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 25 Jun 2004
Posts: 3016
Location: Why do you need to know? Are you a stalker?
Michaelrice wrote:
LPU wrote:
its not the age it is the maturity


Well I will have to disagree with you there. In my option its not the age its the skill and capability of performing. If you can entertain and if you are good at what you do that's all that matters.

As far as ''maturity'' for the adults yes you have to be mature, As for the kids you want to be anything but mature. I mean look at Jay Sankey he doesn't act very mature but he is great at what he does.



what i meant for adults yes but for kids if your 19 and act likr your 10 then no


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:57 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 21 Feb 2003
Posts: 14016
Location: Las Vegas, NV/Albuquerque, NM/Pensacola, FL
Jay Sankey has also been doing magic for a very long time and has developed his own style. That's why he can get away with what he does.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:59 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 949
I would say 13 at least. And that is a VERY mature 13.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:12 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 12 Jan 2005
Posts: 242
Location: NYC
AGE doesn't matter. If you know how to perform and like and enjoy it when you do shows and stuff like that, then you can do kid shows.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:14 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Posts: 10
^
Agrees, I did it when I was twelve. But it was for my friends lil bros or sisters parties


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:25 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 949
Exactly, AGE is not as much as an issue as MATURITY, PROFESSIONALISM, and SKILL.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: '
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:32 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 04 Aug 2003
Posts: 2171
Location: Loveland,Ohio (Cincy)
While maturity is an important part, looking the part is also vitally important and that is the first impression people will see. Most adults will not be willing to chance a thirteen year old doing their precious little one's party fo$125.00.
Not that a lot of them couldn't do a good job at it, it's not practical to the parents.
It would be hard to get your foot in the door. I am sure there are those on here that has done it, I would think that it is far and few between.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:30 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 949
True, many adults will not take a person seriously because of age. I have said it in other thread and I will say it again here, a person who judges by age and/or status has very little to no latitude (latitude being depth).

Picture this:

Donald J. Trump (the billionare with all the buildings) had a bodyguard. Now bodyguard is not a superhigh position on the corporate structure now is it? The bodyguard is now the executive vice president of one of Trump's companies because he showed talent.

If someone judges on status (or in thsi case age) they will miss talent. And thos people have little to no latitude.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:37 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
JCH wrote:
True, many adults will not take a person seriously because of age. I have said it in other thread and I will say it again here, a person who judges by age and/or status has very little to no latitude (latitude being depth).
Picture this: Donald J. Trump (the billionare with all the buildings) had a bodyguard. Now bodyguard is not a superhigh position on the corporate structure now is it? The bodyguard is now the executive vice president of one of Trump's companies because he showed talent.
If someone judges on status (or in thsi case age) they will miss talent. And thos people have little to no latitude.


Point is good but you are ignoring one thing. Reality. In the real world you are judged every day and age is a determining factor when you are trying to work as a magician. Under a certain age you are looked at as a kid playing with magic tricks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:54 am 
User avatar
Offline
Team Penguin

Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Posts: 1854
Location: Georgia
not necessarily...it depends on how good you are!

did you see the write up in the guiness book of world records this year about the youngest magicians? you should check it out.

I started kidshows at 12 years old. You do not have to wait till you are 16!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.