View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how old
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:40 pm 
Penguin

how old do u hav to be to start kid parties with 3-6 or 7 year olds

Post subject: Re: how old
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:45 pm 
born to perform.

WMilliman wrote:
how old do u hav to be to start kid parties with 3-6 or 7 year olds

At least over 16 as far as i know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:34 pm 
Penguin

Lots of people have their opinions on ages, but I think you should really look at how much you have performed. If you have done tons of card magic and close up magic, that doesn't mean you are ready for a kid's show. Also, do you know the kids, or are you wanting to perform parties on a regular basis? If it's just one show for your little cousins, I don't think age matters much, but if you are wanting to do this consistently, then the older you are, the better (I'm assuming you're a teen). People take adults more seriously than kids, its just how life is.

Look around the boards, do a quick search, and I bet you will find much more useful information than this. This topic is one that has been discussed many many times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:58 pm 
born to perform.

its not the age it is the maturity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:53 pm 
born to perform.

LPU wrote:

Well I will have to disagree with you there. In my option its not the age its the skill and capability of performing. If you can entertain and if you are good at what you do that's all that matters.

As far as ''maturity'' for the adults yes you have to be mature, As for the kids you want to be anything but mature. I mean look at Jay Sankey he doesn't act very mature but he is great at what he does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:00 pm 
born to perform.

Michaelrice wrote:
LPU wrote:

Well I will have to disagree with you there. In my option its not the age its the skill and capability of performing. If you can entertain and if you are good at what you do that's all that matters.

As far as ''maturity'' for the adults yes you have to be mature, As for the kids you want to be anything but mature. I mean look at Jay Sankey he doesn't act very mature but he is great at what he does.

what i meant for adults yes but for kids if your 19 and act likr your 10 then no

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:57 pm 

Jay Sankey has also been doing magic for a very long time and has developed his own style. That's why he can get away with what he does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:59 pm 
born to perform.

I would say 13 at least. And that is a VERY mature 13.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:12 pm 
Penguin

AGE doesn't matter. If you know how to perform and like and enjoy it when you do shows and stuff like that, then you can do kid shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:14 pm 
Penguin

^
Agrees, I did it when I was twelve. But it was for my friends lil bros or sisters parties

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:25 pm 
born to perform.

Exactly, AGE is not as much as an issue as MATURITY, PROFESSIONALISM, and SKILL.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:32 pm 
born to perform.

While maturity is an important part, looking the part is also vitally important and that is the first impression people will see. Most adults will not be willing to chance a thirteen year old doing their precious little one's party fo$125.00.
Not that a lot of them couldn't do a good job at it, it's not practical to the parents.
It would be hard to get your foot in the door. I am sure there are those on here that has done it, I would think that it is far and few between.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:30 pm 
born to perform.

True, many adults will not take a person seriously because of age. I have said it in other thread and I will say it again here, a person who judges by age and/or status has very little to no latitude (latitude being depth).

Picture this:

Donald J. Trump (the billionare with all the buildings) had a bodyguard. Now bodyguard is not a superhigh position on the corporate structure now is it? The bodyguard is now the executive vice president of one of Trump's companies because he showed talent.

If someone judges on status (or in thsi case age) they will miss talent. And thos people have little to no latitude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:37 am 

JCH wrote:
True, many adults will not take a person seriously because of age. I have said it in other thread and I will say it again here, a person who judges by age and/or status has very little to no latitude (latitude being depth).
Picture this: Donald J. Trump (the billionare with all the buildings) had a bodyguard. Now bodyguard is not a superhigh position on the corporate structure now is it? The bodyguard is now the executive vice president of one of Trump's companies because he showed talent.
If someone judges on status (or in thsi case age) they will miss talent. And thos people have little to no latitude.

Point is good but you are ignoring one thing. Reality. In the real world you are judged every day and age is a determining factor when you are trying to work as a magician. Under a certain age you are looked at as a kid playing with magic tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:54 am 
Team Penguin

not necessarily...it depends on how good you are!

did you see the write up in the guiness book of world records this year about the youngest magicians? you should check it out.

I started kidshows at 12 years old. You do not have to wait till you are 16!