View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: worried about my show
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:01 pm 
Penguin

I'm doing a kids show at my local library. The money goes to the library. I do it every year and every year right after I get a ton of calls about booking me. The problem this year is I forgot we agreed on this sunday. I forgot I even talked to them. I feel really stupid. I dont even have a routine ready. Looks like I'll be up in my room working on it.

The tricks I want to do are:

humming bird card
Questionable trick with a volenteer
head trip- to get everyone laughing
ACR
pen thru dollar
2$ window with 1$-100$
and ringfiright. once again audience loves it and such.

if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them. thanks for your help.

Andrew

wish me luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:29 pm 
Penguin

I had to call them and cancel the show today, they are mad at me now and I probably wont be able to go there to do shows anymore...oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:31 pm 
born to perform.

Rocka89 wrote:
I had to call them and cancel the show today, they are mad at me now and I probably wont be able to go there to do shows anymore...oh well.

You did the right thing, I respect you for it. The kiddies here could learn a lot from you.-alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:38 pm 
born to perform.

alex2003 wrote:
Rocka89 wrote:

You did the right thing, I respect you for it. The kiddies here could learn a lot from you.-alex

You respect him for it? :shock: :?

Rocka89: I'm sure you know this already, but when booking a magic show, it's vital to remember you booked it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:44 pm 
Penguin

yeah I felt like an idout after I realized I forgot :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:05 am 
born to perform.

Why didnt you do a show that you have done in the past?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:13 am 
Penguin

Thanks, No other magician is ever going to get a gig at that library. It's called a calendar... get one!

Matlock the Magnificent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:21 am 

alex2003 wrote:
Rocka89 wrote:

Wrong Alex, he did the wrong thing. In my 7 years of performing I have missed exactly TWO, count 'em, 2 shows. One when I was in the hospital for an emergency heart surgery and the second when I was in the emergency room due to excessive bleeding. I still had my wife call up a competitor and gave them the job so that no one would be disappointed.

Rocka, once you take money for a show, you are, by definition, a PROFESSIONAL! You have to act like one and accept the responsibility of being a professional. What you did was totally unprofessional so I suggest you stick to free shows for your family until you become grown-up enough to accept the responsibility.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:27 am 

Paddy, you took the words right out of my mouth. I've performed for over 30 years and I have never cancelled a show and, with the exception of unforseen emergencies, I never will.

By cancelling at the show you really put the library in an awkward position. Think of the advertising they did. Think of the extra staffing. Think of the lost proceeds. Think of the disappointed kids. What am I saying - If you had the ability to think, you wouldn't have created this mess!

When you take money for your shows, you are a professional and must act like one. It tells me a lot when you don't have several pre-rehearsed shows ready to go at a moments notice; and when you have the gall to cancel a show because you are not ready for it.

In these circumstances you at least had an obligation to get another magician to take your place, at no additional cost to your client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:14 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
alex2003 wrote:
Rocka89 wrote:

Wrong Alex, he did the wrong thing.
Peter

Yes, He did the wrong thing, by forgetting about the show, that was stupid. But, the thing he did right, was to cancel the show. if he is not going to be
100% prepared, he shouldnt be doing it. he would be ripping off the parents who pay for the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:20 pm 
Penguin

Its a show at a public library parents are going to be paying a thing.

Post subject: "
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:27 pm 
born to perform.

Rocka,
Get your self a planner, as soon as you hang up the phone you write the info down. I also have a sheet with several questions I ask and fill out. I then put it on a desk calender. I check my planner daily just as a reminder.
You should've had someone else come in to take your place. Or you could've had some kind of show to put on. What you did to your reputation may not be repaired anytime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:34 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
alex2003 wrote:
Rocka89 wrote:

Wrong Alex, he did the wrong thing. In my 7 years of performing I have missed exactly TWO, count 'em, 2 shows. One when I was in the hospital for an emergency heart surgery and the second when I was in the emergency room due to excessive bleeding. I still had my wife call up a competitor and gave them the job so that no one would be disappointed.

Rocka, once you take money for a show, you are, by definition, a PROFESSIONAL! You have to act like one and accept the responsibility of being a professional. What you did was totally unprofessional so I suggest you stick to free shows for your family until you become grown-up enough to accept the responsibility.

Peter

Paddy, your advice is as always true, the thing that makes me feal bad about the situation is I wasnt going to get paid, the money was going to the library as I said. So in actuallity I hurt the librarys money situation. I'm probably going to go down there this weekend and pay them back the money they lost on me and see about setting up a new show to hopefully make good with them. And this time, I wont forget.