View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gig This month!!!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:19 pm 
born to perform.

I just got a gig thats happening on the 30th. Its my first one and its for my friends little brother. Im going to get business cards and leave them their maybe for some referals. Its for 8 year olds .I was thinking some kind of comedy warmup with and appearing cane, and some other stuff.

How does it sound?

thanks alot
lax

Last edited by laxmaster92 on Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:11 pm 
born to perform.

ANY insights? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:06 am 
Penguin

If you have to ask about putting together a show then you're not ready. Just a warning, thats the nicest way you're going to hear that sentence in just a few more hours you'll be bombarded with the fact that before you ever accept a gig you should have a show ready and able to do in your sleep. So before you ask for insights realize you're not going to like the insights they give you. Another warning, don't ever give you're age again. You must come across as an adult on these forums or you will be torn apart. Well those are my insights, and please don't take this as being rude, or condescending. I'm just trying to prepare you for the firestorm that is going to come. (Well it might not, they might just ignore you.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:35 pm 
born to perform.

Any show you do will give you experience. I say do the show and learn from it. Add comedy with visual magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:16 pm 
Penguin

f_bright_86 wrote:
So before you ask for insights realize you're not going to like the insights they give you. Another warning, don't ever give you're age again. You must come across as an adult on these forums or you will be torn apart.

First, I think that someone who wants to improve will like the insights they give them, even if they are negative. It is something to work towards, it shouldn't matter how they are presented.

Second, he never gave his age, he was talking about the age of the kids he was performing for.

Third, I agree with that last sentence completely. :)

laxmaster: the warmup is definately a great idea, but if you really want some advie post the "some other stuff" that will be going with it.

Also, I wouldn't get business cards made just for this occasion. If you do good, you will get another party, if you get another party, then go ahead for the cards. What would happen if you found that you weren't ready for it, but all these people had your cards?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:31 pm 
Penguin

All I was doing was letting him know that the majority of the insights would be negative probably, so to be prepared. I agree that one who really wants to improve will accept any insight but they still need to be prepared for what type of insights they're going to get on this board. And he did post his age, he edited the post and took his age out after I had posted my reply. You just came along after that edit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:50 pm 
born to perform.

Lax, you have to make sure that you are ready to entertain. Know that the people gathering around are there to be entertained. With that in mind, do you have routines wrote down? The order, the patter, what items will be needed to perform the routines? Once you pick what routines you will be performing and you have created some patter that will be entertaining and you have performing the tricks down, then make sure that you create a checklist of what you will need. Will you need a table, a chair, any music, or will lighting or angles be of an issue? There is a lot that goes into putting on a good show. Make sure you practice and that you are ready. I also agree with l2andall, I would not worry about the business cards yet. Get your feet wet first and see how it goes. Good luck to you.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:54 am 

Surf around on this forum and you will find a ton of advice from previous topics. Actually, this topic has come up so often that I'm surprised no one has created a sticky for it. It is true that every show is a learning experience, but you have to approach it as being much more than that. You have an OBLIGATION to present a professionl show that will entertain the intended audience. This holds true regardless of whether or not you are being paid.

So, you have one month. Roll up your sleeves and get to work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:44 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks alot for the replies.

I was thinking the show in this order-

:arrow: Comedy warmup thats gets everyone yelling and clapping their hands and all that kind of stuff.
:arrow: InThe News with slush powder.
:arrow: DReam BAg(the large one)
:arrow: MAgic coloring book(small) and vanishing crayons
:a rrow: A comedy zombie ball routine
:arrow: Finale square and circle with snake can maybe rubber chicken and silks.

How does this sound?

Thanks alot
lax

Post subject: "
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:55 pm 
born to perform.

Lax,
The shows setup looks great, just relax and take your time. This a fun age, have fun with them. Let them get the credit for the magic actually working. This makes them feel like they are helping and doing something really cool. They will be more apt to be on your side.
Make sure that warm up is fun and active by all, they will be putty in your hands.
Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:29 pm 
born to perform.

My gig is in exactly a week! Im going to use the Un-even ropes as an opener. I dont know if my patter might lose the audience. Does anyone have any patter that they use in the trick for kids?