View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Length
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:08 pm 
B2 Bomber - Lose it, Kids dont care.
2 in the hand One in the pocket - Not sure what that is, so I wont comment
DLItes - Lose it, Kids dont care.
bite out of quarter - Lose it, Kids dont care.
scotch and soda - Lose it, Kids dont care.
coloring book - I would suggest that you make your own colloring book. I remember when I was a kid and I was this trick I thought to myself "Coloring books dont look like that... and why are the pictures collor so perfectly?"
vanish a silk - Lose it, Kids dont care.
magic mints - Lose it, Kids dont care.
salt vanish - Lose it, Kids dont care.
2 dollar window - I am unfamiliar
kiler key - Lose it, Kids dont care.
peanut butter and jelly illusion - If you give out the sandwich at the end, be careful you dont get a kid with a peanut allergy

I would suggest getting more clasic stage effects like a Sucker Dice Box, That alone will add 5 mins onto your show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:20 pm 
born to perform.

i appreciate your help so much :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:06 pm 
Penguin

i usally go like u see it right and just make so like they know its there or they know its impossible well they think and u just sink it in for a while so they know it adn u are just wasting time at the same time people like it wen u do that to they think its funny if u do it for a while i dont know y and o yea in the begining act like an bird brain freak like ummmm Sylvester Pitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:44 pm 
Team Penguin

I dissagree with some of John_Frawley's comments...

Kids do enjoy the D'lites and vanishing silks if they are performed in the proper manner...maybe John just does not perform them to the point that they are entertaining to the children...

I would suggest using them, but make a routine out of it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:43 pm 
Penguin

I agree with kyle. Kids LOVE that stuff when performed correctly. Also the coloring book kids love. Almost any trick could work in kids shows if performed in the right manner. Of course some are better than others...

Post subject: "
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:52 pm 
born to perform.

I have to agree with Kyle and S2. D-lites are a great in between filler stunt. Silks are fine.. anything but cards and most coin tricks can be used in a kid show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:01 pm 
Team Penguin

I have a great comedy coloring book routine that lasts approx. 5 minutes...It took me a while to perfect it...but it is used in every show now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:02 pm 
born to perform.

I have to 4th the D'Lites. I do a musical routine and kids have a good time laughing. Also, sluggo gave you some really good advice to listen too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:15 pm 
I am thinking back to my childhood, and my many years of doing kids shows. I thought that D'lites always looked like someones thumb was lighting up... I thought it was dumb. The silk trick, I dont think is effective because it is too short. The coloring book looks like a gimmicked book. IT LOOKS FAKE. Kids realize this. I did. They might act amazed at first, but a few minutes later, they will realize that the book was computer printed, or whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:59 pm 
born to perform.

okay john thanks for explaining why you dont like the tricks. I just dont like it when someone says no and doesnt back it. As for the dlites, im going to be doing them with a dark room, so i hope it wont be a big deal. As with teh colorin gbook, i agree, ill try your suggestion. I am going to pull a long streamer out of a tt and then go into my dlite routien

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:03 pm 
Penguin

The coloring book is perfect the way it is. Kids might realize its fake doens't mean they know how its done. Most people realize that any trick is fake, and thats there is some explanation for it. The suspense of this knowledge by the audience is what makes magic work. While the prop might not look everyday or ordinary, they understand that, and don't let them ruin it for them. Also just be john didn't like something please realize he alone is not a representative sample of all children. many of those tricks he said don't work do, and have been tested time and time again. And any trick can be made to work if you present it correctly. Scotch and soda's main routine might not be the best but there are other effects you can do with it that allows you to have funs with the kids while doing it. For example you can show the centavo and half between your thumb and finger and then make the centavo dissappear. The kids will then begin to say things like the centavos just behind the half and stuff and you can look back and say no its not there and do things like that until you show them the single half. then you can pull the centavo out of someon'es ear - classic magician image helps to cement you are a magician by doing this. My point is that anything except cards will work usuall you just have to present it on their level.

p.s. is that you in your avatar

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:59 pm 
born to perform.

F_bright,
You are absolutely right. Anything can work if it's presented correctly.
I've never had a kid make a statement about the coloring book. I usually use it for kids seven and below.
Vanishing silks have always been just fine also. D-lites have always been a plus. As far as the P&J I wouldn't ever give out anything to eat anyway.
If they choke on it......oops!
Anyone can take a stinky sock and make it into a good routine, just present it right and make it funny.
Kids aren't all that amazed at the magic, it's how fun you make it. Kids like fun! that is their life and they don't care where or how it's done or with what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:24 pm 
born to perform.

no thats not me in my avator lol. As for the pb and j..ill have to put a disclaimer out before i start lol. Seriously though i really appreciate ALL your help. Ive got a final routine and im going to test it out ony my family tonite and ill report how long it is. Right now i got 6 tricks with great patter thanks to sluggos suggestons

Post subject: Re: '
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:01 pm 
sluggo wrote:
F_bright,
You are absolutely right. Anything can work if it's presented correctly.
I've never had a kid make a statement about the coloring book. I usually use it for kids seven and below.
Vanishing silks have always been just fine also. D-lites have always been a plus. As far as the P&J I wouldn't ever give out anything to eat anyway.
If they choke on it......oops!
Anyone can take a stinky sock and make it into a good routine, just present it right and make it funny.
Kids aren't all that amazed at the magic, it's how fun you make it. Kids like fun! that is their life and they don't care where or how it's done or with what.

Fine... a plus... Those dont sound like words of strong magic. Yes, there is a suspension of disbelief, but not a huge one. Kids are hard to fool, but if you go out there confidently, they are polite. I have done a sucker trick and gotten applause from the obviously bad magic that just took place. Why? Because their parients taught them to be polite. So, just having a reaction doesnt leave your audience amazed. After a while of D'lites, it becomes very anti-climatic, for 1 simple reason, THERE IS NO CLIMAX! And the coloring book. Do you not realize how strong the effect would be if you started out with a coloring book with just the pictures. The audience waves the magical crayon over it and it has scribbles outside the lines and horrable drawings on it. Then after 1 more wave therre are a bunch of trawings in it that are obvously colored in wigh a crayon by hand, but are all inside the lines? That would look infinately better than the stupid coloring book used now. I have been doing kids shows since I was 8 for libraries around southern california, and I know how kids will react to different tricks. I know that when I was a kid, and I was a magician do the coloring book thing, me and my friends were wondering why it was professionally printed. But, perform that which you want. I have given hard core proof behind my statements, while all you say is "Every trick can be amazing." Well I have a chalenge for you, make 10 minutes of thimble magic amazing. It is impossible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:04 pm 
born to perform.

okay, im not trying to prove a point, or come off as an idiot. But john. what are the tricks you do for kids, just want to know your personal opinion of what kids like in your eyes, and mabe i can interpret it into my routine. Many thanks