View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: school kids show advice
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:55 pm 
Penguin

in a couple days im going to do a kids show at a elementry school and i have some tricks to do already but i just need some other tricks tht kids would like......thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:00 pm 
born to perform.

Tell us what tricks you are going to be doing, then we can help you with some others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:33 pm 
Penguin

dlite a TT IT some card tricks snape change airtight long distance spinner and a couple more slyvester pitch the raven coin magic and some wand tricks.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:47 pm 
Penguin

oh yea and colorful cups and balls and mutiplying spounge balls

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:25 am 

What grade level are the kids? Most elementary schools separate their kids by grade level. Grades 1, 2 and 3 are considered Division One. Grades 4, 5 and 6 are considered Division Two.

Division One kids will not have the experience, ability or patience to sit through card tricks. A grade one student won't even know what a Queen of Clubs is, let alone be able to remember it when he picks it from the deck!

If you are playing towards Division One students, or a mixture, I would suggest that you limit or eliminate the card tricks. Instead, go with effects that are straight forward and visible. Try Sponge Balls, Balloon Penetration or a Linking Ring routine.

You also need to put A LOT MORE ATTENTION to the routining of your effects. From you initial post, it doesn't sound like you have any idea of what order your effects should flow. Put some time into this. Otherwise, you risk looking like some guy showing trick after trick without any rhyme or reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:20 pm 
Penguin

well i think its divstion 2 in a caffitaria. oh yea this is my first show so0o0o0o.............

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:29 pm 
born to perform.

Most schools are mandated by law or poilcy- cannot have shows unless they are of some educational value. I am trying to put together a Fire safety and stranger danger show for next year.
There is an excellent organization that deals with this specifically. One is S.M.I.L.E. Safety magic in law enforcement and also Laff's for life.org.
They have a convention every year in Arizona that teaches how to put a show together.
I'll be traveling there this year. For more info for those out there that is interested, check out those sites. I went to a class in Williamsburg Va. last month where Pam Moody one of the premier Safety show performers gave a class on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:32 pm 
Penguin

and were can i get the needle thru ballon trick?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:38 pm 
Penguin

well im going for somones little thingy ummmm his mom hired me to go to his shcool and at lunch go to each table of 200 kids when there eating and perform magic for them, the first day is kidender garden thru 4 grade and 2 days later im doing 5 thru 6. im going in 5 days and im only 13 and i need to know wht im going to wear too so any ideas on tht to plz......thx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:42 pm 
born to perform.

I can't remember where I got mine. But I think Daytona magic has them on there site. After my warm up that is my first trick for any age. It makes the kids look great because it fails with the adults and then it really goes bad for me. Of course when they come up it works perfectly for them. Get the entire audience to participate and they all feel like they were a major reason it worked..after that putty in your hands.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:46 pm 
born to perform.

relic183 wrote:
well im going for somones little thingy ummmm his mom hired me to go to his shcool and at lunch go to each table of 200 kids when there eating and perform magic for them, the first day is kidender garden thru 4 grade and 2 days later im doing 5 thru 6. im going in 5 days and im only 13 and i need to know wht im going to wear too so any ideas on tht to plz......thx

Relic,
Colorful goofy clothes, make your self stand out and be different. You can go to Nike's site and order extra large shoes. They use to sell them really cheap, I got a size 17 shoe and added some colorful sparkle to them.
Get a colorful derby hat or something, over sized glasses with the lens out. If you come in looking funny they'll see you as a fun person, then the rest is up to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:55 pm 
Penguin

ok thx but can you guys still keep replieing i need more advice thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:05 pm 

relic183 wrote:

DON'T DO THIS!! YOU ARE COMBINING TABLE HOPPING WITH A COMBINATION OF DIV 1 AND DIV 2 STUDENTS. EVEN A SEASONED ENTERTAINER WOULD FIND THIS A CHALLENGE ... THIS IS YOUR FIRST SHOW ... YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ... YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO WEAR .. YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO ACT. AND YOU'RE TAKING MONEY FOR THIS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:46 pm 
Penguin

lol no its for free and im doing table hopping div 1 one day and another day div 2. i dont know wht i just said lol