View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:38 pm 
born to perform.

yeah well its like a 10 amp...or is it 20? i forget, either way, its rather small

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:17 pm 
Penguin

I use a bass amp too, if I need an amp.

Being an actor, though, you get the knack of projecting your voice without yelling. If you can fill an auditorium during a play, you can do a small room during a show. The only time I use a PA is if I'm competing with some other sound source.

Often, the house I'm doing a show at will have a PA I can use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:59 pm 
Penguin

I'm new to the whole Amp thing, so mine is pretty cheap, but it does the job. I attach to it a lapel mic and a CD player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:16 am 

These days, there is much more variety to choose from, especially for the part-time entertainer. I know of several magicians who have opted for a high end kareoke system. It has the microphone/pa capability and it has the cassette/cd player all in one unit. Combine this with a wireless mic and you are set.

I personally don't use mics except in larger venues or in outdoor performances. In most circumstances, you should be able to project your voice clearly enough to be heard by everyone. I also find that microphones create a psychological barrier between the performer and the audience. I try to avoid such barriers as much as possible.

Also, when I do use a microphone, I use a hand held rather than a headset. This allows me to have greater variations in my tone of voice; it allows me to whisper things to volunteers and assistants; and it allows me to put the mic to the volunteers so that, when I ask them a question, the audience can actually hear their answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:43 am 
born to perform.

BakersDozen wrote:
I use a bass amp too, if I need an amp.

Being an actor, though, you get the knack of projecting your voice without yelling. If you can fill an auditorium during a play, you can do a small room during a show. The only time I use a PA is if I'm competing with some other sound source.

Often, the house I'm doing a show at will have a PA I can use.

yeah, i used to act a bit, and was all music like (singing and piano) so i know how to project my voice.

don't spend money on a amp. if the place is big enough to have to use an amp, it should have one already. think about it: school gyms,civic centers... etc etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:12 pm 
Team Penguin

Yes most places do have one all ready but it is much better to use your own, that way you are not liable for anything should something happen and a mike get broken, or a speaker gets blown out. Plus if you control your own music, you will have easy access to the system behind your backdrops. Another good thing about having your own is the comfortability. Most mikes and systems are different. It is best to use one that you are most comfortable with (which would be the one you work with the most). I like to use my own mike cause it is a headset. The lapel mikes make noize and do not pick everything up, and the cordless or walkarounds can sometimes be a hassle. Not all mikes work properly with all amps. It is best to use the amp with the mike supplied with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:24 pm 

To reduce the risk of failure in any show, you should always try to control the environment as much as possible. Everything from lighting to backdrops and sound should be taken into consideration. You can't just settle for what's there.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:09 pm 
born to perform.

Kyle, good advice! You should never rely on someone else to furnish your equipment for you. For one a lot of the school sound systems aren't the best. If you claim to be an entertainer I wouldn't show up to a gig and say " Hey, I know you have a sound system here how about letting me use it." They'll probably remind you that you are the performer shouldn't you have one.
Really bad advice ccsyaoran.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:27 pm 
born to perform.

OR showing up and saying "hey, your sound system SUCKS! let me use mine!"

dude, really. learn how to project your voice. its better than any sound system. i can project my voice to fill a pretty large room!

although, if you have music at your show... that's different!

Post subject: Re: '
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:31 pm 
born to perform.

sluggo wrote:
Kyle, good advice! You should never rely on someone else to furnish your equipment for you. For one a lot of the school sound systems aren't the best. If you claim to be an entertainer I wouldn't show up to a gig and say " Hey, I know you have a sound system here how about letting me use it." They'll probably remind you that you are the performer shouldn't you have one.
Really bad advice ccsyaoran.

no they won't. nooo they won't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:03 pm 
born to perform.

Paul, I'd have to disagree with you. You should never count on your customer to supply something for you. YOU need to bring your own stuff, obviously this is why they pay you.

I use an amp and a wireless mic that hand be either a head set or a lapel mic. It is very good and works very well. I only payed 29 including tax for the mic. The amp is around 70 dollars.

I only use this at outdoor events and large halls, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:15 pm 
born to perform.

if i ever do a show where i need a amp, i'll say "so, how big is the room? ok then, i'll need to have an amplifyer. should i bring mine, or do you have you're own?"

i of course, have access to an amp and mic, but i think chances are they'll have their own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:38 pm 
Team Penguin

I too am an actor and can project my voice, as I have done in many productions. But it is a little hard to do when you are trying to speak to 500-800 students at an elementary school. Especially when you are trying to control them after a sucker trick.

Projection works, but not on all occasion. I still think it is best to use your own system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:10 am 
Penguin

Part of the problem is that we are told to project our voices, but there aren't any books or videos, that are consistently recommended, that will teach you how to do that. Until that time, sound systems will sell like hotcakes.