View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Teaching kids magic.....
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:02 pm 
Penguin

I am going to speak at a school next week. They asked me to come because they wanted an interesting speaker to talk to 5th, 6th, and 7th graders about their profession.

I pretty much have carte blanche on what I want to talk about. But I think I will talk about magic tricks.

Any good suggestions on tricks I can show to kids, and not really compromise any great secrets?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:20 pm 
Penguin

Perhaps one that was already revealed but show magic is more than tricks. Show how to add patter, pacing, rhythym and humour etc etc

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:29 pm 

Find a beginner's magic book and look for an effect using a lot of color that isn't that hard to do. Then make whatever the props are and give them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:35 pm 
Penguin

exodus wrote:
Find a beginner's magic book and look for an effect using a lot of color that isn't that hard to do. Then make whatever the props are and give them out.

I do have one kids magic book, and I think I will take some simple tricks from there. I just don't want to give them anything too childish, but I also want to impress.

I was thinking of doing a simple dice in the matchbox predicition trick.
Its simple to make, and everyone has the materials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:46 am 
Penguin

How about a magicians oath?
I taught a class at our regional Adult Ed on clowning and did a lesson on clown magic. But I just pretty much made up the oath which everyone took at the beginning of the class off the top of my head.

Does anyone have a simple oath, or swearing in type thing they use with kids?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:14 am 

I know a guy that performs as two characters. He does a Harry Houdini show and he does his Swami Salami show. For the kid show, I'll leave it to you to figure out which one is the kid show, he gives away the effect with the different colored pieces that look like half "c"'s and you show that they can stretch. I don't know what book it's in though, but it great for his show. He usually performs for 6- from what I've seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:32 pm 
Penguin

pull the principle do some misderction and ditch objects (napkins, tests, whatever handy) over his head? kids should love you for making their prinskiple look stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:37 pm 
Penguin

pull the principle do some misderction and ditch objects (napkins, tests, whatever handy) over his head? kids should love you for making their prinskiple look stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:39 pm 
born to perform.

do a school of rock thing. get them to repeat it, and make it easy. and at the end, say the last bit really fast and use a lot of big words and make it long. give like a 5-10 sec pause and say OK! there you go! sure to get a laugh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:33 pm 
Penguin

ccsyaoran wrote:
do a school of rock thing. get them to repeat it, and make it easy. and at the end, say the last bit really fast and use a lot of big words and make it long. give like a 5-10 sec pause and say OK! there you go! sure to get a laugh!

Thats a good idea, I might fool around with that idea.

Post subject: giveaway trick
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:15 pm 
Penguin

I think the big concern is to not spoil their future enjoyment of magic. Some people just seem to want to keep everything secret for secrecy sake. In my experience, after a kid learns that it's all just props, moves, etc., then they become skeptics and don't really enjoy the magic anymore. That's my bigger concern.

There's a nine card spelling trick that works great and that really doesn't reveal anything. As a matter of fact, I still can't figure out how it works, but it works automatically. Spread nine cards out face down in your hands and have the kid select one. Make sure they remember it. Square up the packet, lift the top two cards, and have the kid return the card to the third from the top of the packet and square the packet again. The trick is now done. Tell the kid to tell you the name of their real card or they can even lie about it and tell you a different card (for example seven of spades). The face down packet has the kid's card third from the top. Deal cards into stack on the table while spelling S-E-V-E-N (dealing a total of five cards onto a stack). Place the rest of the deck on the tabled stack. Then repeat doing O-F and place rest of deck on the tabled stack. Then do S-P-A-D-E-S and place the rest of the deck on the stack. The kid could have even changed their mind (and you could have done clubs, diamonds, etc.). At this point, no matter what, the card is at the fifth place in the packet. Tell them you want to know the truth, so you deal down T-R-U-T-H, and that fifth card (H) will be the card. Even if they told you the wrong name of the card, the correct card will be there.

Super simple trick, just need to get the selection in the third from the top of the deck. Instruct the kid and have them do the trick back to you. Works every time. What's wild about this trick is that they won't be able to figure out how the trick is done, even though they are able to perform the trick on other people. So it's still amazes and mystifies even though they know how to do it themselves. It doesn't giveaway anything that would spoil their appreciation of magic, yet they'd have something to take away from the show. Perfect masterpiece in my opinion, and kids do enjoy learning it.

Mike