View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:51 pm 
Team Penguin

David Ginn performs card tricks for elementary schools at elementary school levels. I have seen him do so on many occasions. The card tricks that he performs are visual and do not require an adult I.Q. to understand.

It is the same way with me, whether I am performing for an elementary school, or a birthday party... The card trick is visual...yet HIGHLY impacting. Such as Cardiographic, or my very own Dream Bag Routine.

Most adults like card tricks, and they are the ones paying the check. It does not hurt to throw one or two in the show that the kids will understand and the adults will enjoy. If you make the kids happy, you will make the adults happy. But if you make the kids happy, and the adults overwhelmed/entertained as well, then you are set for many more bookings and great reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:50 am 

I'm not being paid to entertain the adults and the adults know that. I will sometimes throw in some adult oriented magic, but I will only do so as an extra throw in after the show - and in that case, my intended audience are the adults.

Although very kids will respond to simple, visual card tricks, they don't relate to cards themselves, since they are too young to know what they are. As a result, this is yet another strange prop they don't understand. Why not simplify it further and use Old Maid cards or Alphabet Cards?

Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:44 am 
Team Penguin

...I thought you said that you never do card tricks at kidshows... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:44 am 

I never do.

But it's obvious that not everyone share's that opinion. So am I prevented from making a suggestion that might make a card trick a little stronger for those who do perform card tricks for very young children?

If I am, then fine. You can go through life doing what you want to do and dismissing anyone with an opposing point of view. It's your call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:22 pm 
Penguin

Last edited by ogieogre on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:29 pm 
Team Penguin

EXACTLY! :D

Post subject: cards
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:34 pm 
Penguin

well, I think there are card tricks that will and will not work for kids. I just bought Kids Kards and my kids went wild over it (which is a pretty good feat for a magician to dazzle his own kids). As previously mentioned, cardtoon is a good one too.

Doug Conn's Flush Brush is a pretty visual and 'outside the box' type of card trick.

I also do an ambitious card type of routine. Using a bicycle deck and a blank faced bicycle card, I draw a postage stamp and the kid's name on the blank card (to make it look like a letter). Then I do an ambitious routine with a little story of trying to mail the kid a letter. The letter keeps coming back in the mail. At the end, the kid opens the card case (mailbox) to get their letter out. They can keep their 'letter' as a momento.

Other card tricks that require too much thought or complication don't do too well.

Post subject: plungers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:47 pm 
Penguin

also, concerning plungers. I think there are a few good things that can be done with plungers. You can juggle three plungers (like you would clubs). Funny visual effect.

Also, hanklee.com has a clown stethoscope that is great for mindreading. You can put the plunger on the kid's head and pretend to read his mind. Excellent prop for doing mindreading with Kids Kards, or if you do Daryl's card mind-reading trick (where you force a card and drag out the revelation...it was a red card, uh, I think it was a heart, it was a number, a small number, it was the two or maybe three of hearts, yes the three of hearts). Dragging out the revelation really makes a big difference in the reaction.

Also, there's the magician assistant hat with the plunger in it. The one's that I've seen don't look too good. I'd prefer to get a wizard hat from a party shop and load it with a plunger. If you'd rather not insult a kid/wisealeck, then you could put the magician assistant hat on yourself, drop something on the floor, bend over to pick it up, and end up with the revealed plunger on your head for comedy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:40 pm 
Team Penguin

kids love toilet plungers....but adults love them more.

I built my own assistants hat that I use in my kidshow, but I use it on an adult with my set of 20th century shorts. It gets the adults involved in the kidshow, and the kids get a good laugh at somebody older than them. Usually the adult has fun as well and plays along after the shorts are pulled off while the other adults in the back take pictures to send out in christmas cards... :D

Post subject: Kid Shows
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:14 pm 
Penguin

Kids love to see a screw up, make it happen, another thing I use is Boxer Shorts with frog designs in a change bag or chick pan add in the rubber chicken, but the boxer shorts will get the biggesgt laugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:31 am 
Team Penguin

It is also fun to use american flag boxer shorts for the finale of the mis-made flag.