View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Structure/Script to Kids shows
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:30 am 
born to perform.

Hi!
I'd like to start performing for some nephews and nieces as well as friend's kids. I have bought some effects like Vanishing hanky, Vanishing Bandana, Spongeballs, D'lites etc. But theses are just effects by themselves. I have some questions:
1. How long should your show be?
2. How many effects?
I'd be happy with a short show, many about 10 minutes and only 3-4 effects, but I'd like it to include comedy and scripting. I don't know how to write a script like how do I introduce myself and build storyline, and how to close the show. Thoughts? Recommendations?
Thanks,
Adrianbent1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:24 am 

Adrian,

The length of a show really depends on the age of the audience. Younger kids (3-5) have a much shorter attention span. I find that a 30 minute show with extremely simple, visual effects, works best with this age group. Lots of audience participation and a few volunteers would help to keep their attention.

If the kids are between 6-9 years of age, you can push the show to about 45 minutes. Simple card tricks can be introduced at this stage since the kids will now know what a deck of cards is and will have the ability to remember the cards. Again, however, effects should involve a larger number of volunteers with some audience participation.

In the 9-13 year old category, you can easily go with a one hour show, if it is kept very entertaining. Children in this age group do not want hokey kid effects and they will try to bust you at every opportunity. If you concentrate on effects that allow for a lot of disproving you should be fine.

As far as the effects themselves, you do have a good selection that will easily lend themselves to the first two age groups. In fact, you could easily turn those effects into a decent 30 minute show. To do this, though, you will need to focus on the "bits of business" and the entertainment aspects of the show more than the tricks themselves.

To really get some valuable insights on performing for children I would recommend the book Seriously Silly by David kaye.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:12 pm 
born to perform.

magicman845 wrote:
As far as the effects themselves, you do have a good selection that will easily lend themselves to the first two age groups. In fact, you could easily turn those effects into a decent 30 minute show. To do this, though, you will need to focus on the "bits of business" and the entertainment aspects of the show more than the tricks themselves.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about. I need to learn the "bits of business". Anyone else have some tips or resources (DVDs, books) like this one where I can learn "the bits of business"?

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out Seriously Silly :)

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:35 pm 
born to perform.

Adrian,
If you are looking to get into "Kid's" parties a very good reference book would be "The birthday party business". You can find it on David Ginn's site. There are other books on his site that will help you with the patter and bits of business.
For kids ten and under I would stay away from cards all together.
It's not the magic tricks that will keep them amused it's how you present them. You need to perform for them.
This book will explain A to Z on how to do a kid's show and a lot more.
It also explains the importance of a warm up prior to your actual show.
Best of luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:50 am 

David Ginn's Kidbiz os a great book - so is David Kaye's Seriously Silly. I'm in the middle of reading Kaye's book and, after only having read half of it, I can honestly say it is well worth the money. The entire book is focused on increasing the entertainment value of magic for children. For instance, he can turn a simple silk vanish into a 4 minute routine. And he gives you all of the practical tips and suggestions so you can do the same thing, using your own personal style.

Adrian, I have followed your posts for years and I know that you are very accomplished at what you do. I am extremely pleased to see that you have identified a particular market and have become focused on becoming the best entertainer you can be for that market.

If you want to work on developing "bits of business" for any particular effects, feel free to contact me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:48 pm 
Team Penguin

I would reccomend anything by David Ginn!

He is a great guy, and knows what he is talking about when it comes to kidshows!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:58 pm 
Penguin

I would strongly recomend Perform Like a Pro, it is a great DVD on the topic of constructing a show or just taking an old show and overnight making it amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:49 pm 
born to perform.

I had the same question as you not so long ago. I was at a convention and met David Ginn. I bought 4 of his books and I have to say they are worth every cent.

For all you need to know about kids shows go to: www.ginnmagic.com Have a look in books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:19 pm 
Penguin

esylvan wrote:
I would strongly recomend Perform Like a Pro, it is a great DVD on the topic of constructing a show or just taking an old show and overnight making it amazing.

Who makes this DVD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:56 pm 
Penguin

It's Quentin Reynolds DVD. I don't think Ginn's advice is that amazing, sure it's good, but I personally think that the DVD I mentioned and Silly Billy are terrific.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:25 am 
Penguin

Thanks esylvan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:33 pm 
Penguin

I'd first like to echo everyone who has said anything good about David Ginn because he seems to be the premier performer of kids magic so basically you can't miss if you get something of his. Some other people that I would highly recommend looking into as far as learning the "bits of business" would be Patrick Page, Samuel Patrick Smith, and Steve Taylor.

Post subject: "
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:12 am 
born to perform.

esylvan wrote:
It's Quentin Reynolds DVD. I don't think Ginn's advice is that amazing, sure it's good, but I personally think that the DVD I mentioned and Silly Billy are terrific.

You are the only person that has discarded Ginn. I'll check out the Reynolds DVD, what makes it so good? and where can I get it?