View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: After the Show
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:00 pm 
born to perform.

Hi

I have a show tommorow and the people Im doing the show for asked me to stay after, since these people are family friends. And its a comunion so im doing about a 45 minute show. So after the show do you think the kids well be bugging me to do more tricks? Iwas thinking to bring some close up tricks. Does any else do this after the shows. And if you do what tricks do you bring specically? Cards and loops?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:34 pm 
born to perform.

Ok, yeah most likely they will ask you to do some stuff. Bring just some simple tricks. Bring invisable deck, do acr, maybe a basic transpo, a torn and restored card. Pen through dollar, maybe a couple coin tricks. Just little easy stuff so your not carrying around a lot of stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:14 pm 
born to perform.

if you know how to than you can do balloon animals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:57 am 

whenever you finish a show, the last things you do are: get money and get your butt out of their house. When you're hired you are an entertainer not a guest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:53 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
whenever you finish a show, the last things you do are: get money and get your butt out of their house. When you're hired you are an entertainer not a guest.

This is my first show and Im doing it for free just to get my name out in the world and they invited me to stay after. So the kids will probably be asking me to do more tricks, so if anyone has any suggestions on what to do please respond.

Thanks alot

Lax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:51 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:

If you have nothing to do after the show, why not stay after and have a little fun? It's fun to perform magic why not do it to anyone chance you have. Thats a great chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:51 pm 
born to perform.

I don't stay after my shows, unless they are very, very close family. Sometimes, the person hiring you will ask you to stay for pizza or cake, but never say yes to them. Be polite about it, but don't stay.
-Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:39 pm 

The key thing to remember is that if you stay, you are still THE MAGICIAN. So, you have to continue to play the part of the magician. Sometimes after a gig, I will stay for a few minutes to network with the parents and hand out a few business cards. This is when I will usually perform a few tricks just for the adults.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:19 pm 

mwnewman wrote:
paddy wrote:

If you have nothing to do after the show, why not stay after and have a little fun? It's fun to perform magic why not do it to anyone chance you have. Thats a great chance.

magicman845 wrote:
The key thing to remember is that if you stay, you are still THE MAGICIAN. So, you have to continue to play the part of the magician. Sometimes after a gig, I will stay for a few minutes to network with the parents and hand out a few business cards. This is when I will usually perform a few tricks just for the adults.

I left in my original quote because it is still true! Both mwnewman and magicman845 miss the point. You are hired as AN ENTERTAINER not as a guest. You are expected to do a show lasting for the contracted length of time, (i.e. half hour.) If you saty afterward and perform "a few tricks" you are giving away your product. Sorry, I am worth my $125/hr. But after the show I am out of there, if I stay around I am giving them a FREE show. Sorry I don't do freebies. My time is valuable and by hanging around I am telling the customer that I have nothing better to do, that I am not good enough as an entertainer to be busy. By leaving I am telling them I have another paid gig to go to, that I am a successful entertainer that is booked solid. Remember that appearances are EVERYTHING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:54 pm 
born to perform.

Correct Paddy. Unless they hire you to do close-up magic after the kids show, don't do it. Pretty much what Paddy said is that you are giving them a free show when you charge other people a lot of money for that. You are missing out on the profit of performing magic.
After my kids shows, I pack up and get out of there. Sometimes I have another gig to go to, but if you don't, you should make it seem like you do. When you stay after the show and talk, eat pizza and cake, etc., you destroy the mysterious in the air. You are no longer the magician, but the guy that does magic. As soon as you get there, you should be gone...but don't forget the money.
-Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:19 am 

Well, although Paddy may disagree with me on my previous post, I still stand by it. By intentionally networking with the adults, I am not giving away a free show, nor do I consider myself a guest. Remember, I only stay a few minutes and I do so for a very specific purpose.

To let the adults see another side of my personality and one or two tricks from my adult repertoire does not constitute a show - it is marketing. By doing this, I get to emphasize to the adults that my performing abilities go well beyond childrens shows. They may not have gotten that message simply from seeing my kids show.

Every opportunity is a marketing opportunity and I nevery let one slide by. On many occasions this leads to additional gigs that really do keep me busy on a regular basis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:08 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
mwnewman wrote:
paddy wrote:

magicman845 wrote:

I left in my original quote because it is still true! Both mwnewman and magicman845 miss the point. You are hired as AN ENTERTAINER not as a guest. You are expected to do a show lasting for the contracted length of time, (i.e. half hour.) If you saty afterward and perform "a few tricks" you are giving away your product. Sorry, I am worth my $125/hr. But after the show I am out of there, if I stay around I am giving them a FREE show. Sorry I don't do freebies. My time is valuable and by hanging around I am telling the customer that I have nothing better to do, that I am not good enough as an entertainer to be busy. By leaving I am telling them I have another paid gig to go to, that I am a successful entertainer that is booked solid. Remember that appearances are EVERYTHING.

Im not saying your show isn't worth what you price it at. I'm saying after a gig if you have nothing to do its ok to stay after and do a couple tricks while handing out some buisness cards do get more buisness.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:12 pm 
born to perform.

Mw,
No, don't stay around and socialize. Magicman, does some 'selling' for a few minutes and then is gone, I don't see a problem with that. But to stay around have some cake and punch and shoot the bull while displaying a few walk arounds, no! bad idea.
You said it was some family friends, that wouldn't be as bad as they know you not as a performer but a friend, so the mystic isn't as much at risk.
But if the kids start bugging the crap out of you..leave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:12 pm 
Team Penguin

well under normal conditions, I would not stay, but considering that the people hiring him are friends of the family, I think that it would be okay to stay. Usually when you stay after a show with friends of the family they don't beg you to do tricks, but instead they talk with you and ask how long you have been in magic, what got you started...just small chit chat. It is also an excellent time to hand out business cards.

Just my opinion...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:04 pm 
born to perform.

Well I did the show and I did some walkaround. I guess I broke what all of you guys said. But it payed off big time. A guy booked me to perform at his kids comunion and it went awsome. Everybody responded to the tricks and Everything!! I got 100$ from that. Then next Saturday I got booked again for another comunion at a resturant. Im just telling you guys about my experience over the weekend.