View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Comments and suggestions for my routine
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:32 am 
Penguin

Hi, I've been studying magic for about a year now, and I have finally decided to come up with an act. I plan to perform for the kids at my Kung Fu school; they often host birthday parties on the weekends, and my teacher has offered to let me present a short show. I'll be doing this for free at first, hoping to get my name out to some of the parents. Anyway, here is what I am planning to perform, but this is the first act I have ever developed so I am looking for any help you guys can offer. The whole flow of my act is going to be the "story" of how I became a magician, with each routine explaining various aspects of magic and how I learned them.

1. Color Monte (short visual opener)

2. Sponge Balls

3. Rope Routine, consisting of a cut and restored effect followed by The Great Rope Escape from Mark Wilson's Complete Course(this one will involve a lot of audience participation)

4. Nemesis

5. Card to Orange (from Tarbell volume 1)

6. Invisible Deck

I know a lot of people say kids don't enjoy card magic, but I tried to pick tricks that are either very visual (color monte and nemesis). The Card to Orange isn't really a card trick, I think kids will really enjoy it, plus it will have a lot of participation. I am really not sure about invisible deck, as I have not performed this one for any kids. Also, I am very unsure about the ordering of my last 3 tricks, because they could all make good closers in my opinion. So, any comments/suggestions?

Thanks,
Ish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:38 am 
Penguin

Have you got a script?

If not write one with loads of funny lines that kids will understand.

Also if I were you I'd include the magic colouring book of wel.. MAGIC!
Just some advice. Take it or leave it. With regards to the invisible deck, get sevral kids to think of cards and then write them down on paper, put them in a hat and pull one out. Use that card and show it the only one the other way round. It thenk introduces another aspect of preminition and make you look even better.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:21 am 

First impression is there are too many card tricks. But this could work if the age group is older children and there aren't too many kids at the party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:00 pm 
Penguin

Some advice, for Nemesis don't over due the, "They are real cards." but make sure you establish it. Then when you do card to orange say you will get the deck as far away as possible, rubber band it and put it in your pocket, do the trick. Then take out that "same" deck (now the invisible deck with rubber bands) and you're all set.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:09 pm 
born to perform.

I agree with magicman, too many card tricks. But I am biased, I think card tricks are extremely boring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:02 am 
Penguin

Well, I'm in the middle of writing my script, and I found that performing all these takes about 30 minutes without Invisible Deck, which is what I am aiming for. So, I am pulling that out, leaving the card to orange as my closer. That leaves 2 card tricks(color monte and nemesis), and one that is not really a card trick. I also am adding Tarbell's disappearing ring on a string(with rope). I am presenting it as a lesson in "Houdini" escapes. I plan to have the whole crowd count down while one kid holds a bucket of water that they get to splash on me if the the ring doesn't escape in time. I will, of course, hold the tension until just the last second, as Houdini did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:07 pm 
Penguin

esylvan wrote:
Some advice, for Nemesis don't over due the, "They are real cards." but make sure you establish it. Then when you do card to orange say you will get the deck as far away as possible, rubber band it and put it in your pocket, do the trick. Then take out that "same" deck (now the invisible deck with rubber bands) and you're all set.

Thats some good thinking esylvan!!!