View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What to perform for very young children?
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:10 am 
Penguin

I'm a keen amateur - still in the beginner category. I've "dabbled" for years, but I'm finally devoting the practice time necessary as I attempt to master this art.

As I've been learning card, coin and other genres of magic, I look at my one year old daughter (yes, I know she's too young to get anything out of magic right now), and I realize I have a (previously nonexistent) desire to learn some material that would be suitable for her when she's a little older. Right now, what really amuses her is that sound the "waterfall finish" to my riffle shuffle makes - she actually imitates that!

I'm assuming (from searching here) that somewhere around 3 years old is probably about the youngest age to start enjoying some simple magic.

So that gives me plenty of time to practice! :D

Can someone with some experience in this field give me some ideas on what I should be learning? I'm really a book-learner, and already have quite an extensive magic library, if that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:52 am 
Penguin

what you need its magic tricks with color, a semi-big objects. Like the magic coloring book, mouth coils, bisection, vanishing crayons, and so forth. These will grab her attention. Don't even try using coins. Sponge balls are good too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:20 pm 
Penguin

I suggest you pick up a copy of Silly Billy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:23 pm 
Penguin

esylvan wrote:
I suggest you pick up a copy of Silly Billy.

Is this a book, dvd or trick? Where can I find it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:54 pm 
Penguin

It is a book by David Kaye. Google it, it normally goes for about $50.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:01 pm 
Penguin

Michael129 wrote:
what you need its magic tricks with color, a semi-big objects. Like the magic coloring book, mouth coils, bisection, vanishing crayons, and so forth. These will grab her attention. Don't even try using coins. Sponge balls are good too.

It's not the magic that gets these ones. Silly things and so forth gets them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:14 pm 
born to perform.

Strat-o-sphere is good because of the color, also color changing silks, and PB&J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:23 pm 
Penguin

I could sit here and name all the different effects I perform in my kid shows (birthdays, festivals, walk around), but like esylvan said its not so much the magic for the young ones, but the way you present it (fun, creative, dare I say silly, think cartoon <--I just thought of that) Some things I would recommend though would be sponge balls, appearing silk (I've read that appearances are better than vanishes for younger children, because they feel fooled), the kids really love that little coloring book, spring puppet, d'lite, and learning how to make balloons.

Two good resources that I have are David Ginn's, "Crash Course on Kid Shows" and "Creative Kid Talk" by Steve Taylor, Samuel Patrick Smith, and David Ginn. Anything from any of those guys would probably be very helpful. Patrick Page's stuff is also really good and for a great price I got his "25 super tricks and Funny Business for Kid's Shows" DVD for $12.50. Anyways hope this helps.

Phillip P.