View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: new routine
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:19 pm 
born to perform.

hi
as i have said in another post i am beginning to start doing shows. i was wondering how ofter you make a new routine.
if you do a birthday party and then a kid likes your show and hires you to do his birthday party than do you do the same tricks for him?
also what if someone hires you to do a birthday party and then the next year they want you to do another party for them?

Do you just show them the same routine or what?
thanx
ben w

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:35 pm 
Penguin

im sure that after a year they would forget the tricks. as for the other ones, if you do them good enough, seeing as they are kids, theyre probably not gonna catch you. i would say your safe to do the same tricks.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:23 pm 
born to perform.

if someone hires you after they've seen you at another party they may or may not have some of the same kids. Ask the parents! none the less the birthday kid was at the last party. At least put in some new stuff or talk to the BD child and tell him that since he is now a magician's helper he can help you be successful at his party too.(along those lines)
If you do the same kids a year later, YES some in the crowd will remember each trick and they will shout out the ending right before it happens which by the way sucks.
Change it all if you do the same group, it also shows you are more of a professional to the parents (who pays you) if you do a different show.
THEY will remember last year for sure.
I just did a repeat last weekend and they were asking where this trick was or that one..they REMEMBER!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:21 pm 
Penguin

While I'm a stickler for routined shows and scripted patter, repeating can sometimes be a problem.

Remember, an effect is just an effect. If you present it differently, it's a whole different trick.

When I'm working with teenagers, though, particularily if it's a longish show, I'll often include a little request section in the middle. That way, if people know me (and a lot of people remember my shows :D ) they can ask for something they really like I may have left out otherwise. Always be ready to play ball with your audience. They're the ones that wind up paying you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:41 pm 
born to perform.

I am not trying to be rude or harsh, but if you ask this question then I don't think you are ready for kids shows. I have recommend David Ginn's books to many people and trust me if you take a good word of advice and get one you will also recommend them. They will walk you through the show start to finish, including all the little things you need to know!

You should go with a SHOW A and SHOW B. But keep in mind kids like repetition so maybe the resin they want you to do there party is because they want to see the show again and they want to be the ones helping out!

Mike ~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:17 pm 
Team Penguin

I make a new routine about once every 6 months (for my birthday shows), and once ever year for my school assembly shows. However, I still offer the shows that I have previously performed. I never change my adult show because of its ability to make any adult audience Laugh till they cry and be amazed over and over again without changing a thing. I have a business packet (which is sent out to several schools and businesses each year)that lists all the shows I offer and a brief summary of each show.

And to explain what Michael is saying: It is the same thing as having a plan B to every situation. You should ALWAYS have a backup plan in case the audience has seen you before (when it comes to kids) This is mentioned and explained in detail in many of David's Books. Check'm Out! Once you get them, you can hardly put them down they are so full of information.