View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: sweet
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:57 am 

DaveRobbins wrote:
hey guys Thanks to you i got courage called the library and they said the would give me a half hour slot the are callin me back with the date though but i was wondering i have another friend interested should i use an assistant or no?...

My concern is that you are doing a FREE show for the library. Sorry, but libraries are government institutions funded by taxes. Seeing as we all pay taxes the libraries can afford to pay us.

My usual charge for private parties is US$125 per hour and I charge more for corporate events. I do give libraries a break and only charge them US$200 per hour.

Remember that anything free is worth exactly what you pay for it, nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:54 pm 
Penguin

Altho I agree that you shouldnt do free shows often, and if you do only once as a audition, but theres nothing wrong with doing a show as a CHARITY espically to a library where they let you borrow books for FREE. (and yes, you do pay taxes, but books are VERY Expensive, its your fault if you dont use your library as much as possible.)

just because you do something for free does not means its worthless. There are other reasons to do things besides money.

I mean, if you were swimming in someones pool and you start to drown and a life guard happens to be there, you would want him help you even tho he's not on the clock. Sometimes its nice to give back to the community.

Post subject: Re: Show getting started
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:42 pm 
Penguin

Getting started in childrens shows is really not hard. There has been alot of good advice posted, but also some that is not so good. We all have our opions. My opinion is this....Just do it. A Magician is never going to be prepared unless he/she actually does it. There is no way to know what prepared is until you do a few shows, and then realize what needs to be worked on, what works, and what doesn't. It is all trial and error. You can spend years "thinking" about it, but never know until you do it. Another thing is "Yes" the magic should be exciting, but at the same time, so does the magician. YOU make the magic happen.

Booking a free show every now and then is not bad to do, but at the same time people will take advantage of you if they realize that you are available for FREE shows. Not good. You can however use them as tax write-offs as long as you have them recorded via video for the IRS in case they ask (Charity donations).

Plain and simple, you just have to go out there are do the job, and see what YOU need to work on. You'd be amazed at what you see on video that can make all the difference in the world.

As for tricks, that depends on the age of the group you are performing for. Young kids won't understand some things, and you have to gear to their mentality. Also, kids have a 20 minute MAX attention span, and then they are ready to jump up and do something else, so keep that in mind also.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post about ending with a BANG. YES YES YES!! I always end my shows with a huge bang, and leaves the audiences excited. I start with a bang, slow down, and then a one -two punch and knock them out. Here is an example of one my recent shows http://www.magicsax.com/Videos/060305.mov

Another thing is - GO IN WITH CONFIDENCE!! - you would be surprised at what people can pick up by looking at you. Be confident (NOT COCKY!) about your show, and you will portray that onto the spectators. If you think you are good, then they will think you are good. If you show weakness, then well, the result is weakness. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND PLAY THAT ROLE! - you'll succeed 100% of the time.

Hope that helps a little *smile*
:lol:

Post subject: hey thanks again for advice but a few new questions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:51 pm 
Penguin

I have a lot of smaller effects that link very well but I have a small budget left what cheaper illutions should i purchace.

and I am allergic to rabbits i dont know how to train a dove but i Have a very good cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:07 pm 
Penguin

Dave, why don't you go ahead and describe what you have so far so we can help you out.

P.S. you don't need an animal in your show to be a kids show magician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:23 pm 
Penguin

To start with, you really don't need alot of Money spent to have a kids show ready for performance * smile* I remember my very first show. WOW, was I nervous....I had NO animals. All I had was some sponge balls, a vanishing cane, a zombie, multiplying billiards, and a TT. *smile* The show lasted about 30 minutes. I started off with some music, and came out with the cane, which evenutally turned into a scarf, and the kids thought that was the coolest thing. Produced a billiard and multiplied it and a little bit of manipulation. Then turned the music off, introduced myself, and went into sponge balls routines using volunteers. Then I did a Zombie routine, some thumbtip magic, and that was it. My first Show! *haha* It went over well (SO MANY YEARS AGO *HAHA*). from that experience, I began to write down the show I was looking at putting together. I managed what went wrong at the show, what worked, what didn't and did a process of elimination. I started reading books, getting other ideas together. Watched other magicians, and ASKED them what was working, and what was not. I asked children magicians what they were doing, and they were kind enough to let me know. From there, I began to put together my own show. I eventually picked up a Dove from another magician, and put that in the show, then 2 doves, then 3, then 4, until I had 8 doves in my show....from there it went to adding a rabbit. Although you do not have a rabbit and are allergic, you have a cat!
Why not use the cat? *smile* Just because an apparatus says "rabbit" does not mean it has to be used just for a rabbit. rabbits are about the same size, you just need a cat that is co-operative *smile*

Without a big budget, you can still put together a STELLAR show!!! - drop me an email, and I will give you some good ideas. You sound as if you are serious enough about this and are willing to accept some ideas, so instead of posting them here in the public forum, just drop me a line or (PM ME), and I can help you out a little bit with some good ideas to use....

-Thomas
http://www.magicsax.com