View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My own Routine
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:17 am 
Penguin

I am 12 years old(live in Virginia) and I do want to go professional sometime and I figured it would be best to start with Kid shows. I have a routine set without patter, presentation etc., but I plan to get one of Ginn's books on that. Here is the routine, in order:

1.Peanut Butter and Jelly Illusion-A good opener for the kids to get them interested.

2.Professor's Nightmare- I would start off the ropes section with the classic trick.

3.Cut and Restored Rope- Continue the ropes routine with another classic cut and restored rope.

4.Rope to Silk-One last eye opener for the ropes, then its on to the silk section.

5.Milk to silk-Produce even more silks

( Looking for a silks routine here)

6.Double Color Changing Silks-top off the silks with some visual color changing.

7.Appearing Cane- turn the silks used into a cane.

8.Magic Temple- Produce some sponge balls for the next section.

9.Sponge Balls Routne-making up my own

10.Color Change to Jumbo Square- End sponge balls with a color and shape change.

11.Magic Coloring Book- Classic Visual trick for kids.

12. Vanishing Crayons- after "used" to color the book, make them vanish

13.Vanishing Cane- after used as a wand to produce and change stuff, make vanish also.

14. TT-used to vanish silks from the vanishing cane.

15.(Maybe) Slush Powder- maybe "Dunk the Magician"

16. Joker Tube- Big finale that will be memorable for the kids and adults.

Thats it, I will gladly take suggestions on order of tricks or different tricks altogether,I also plan to do balloon animals at the end of the show

Last edited by Sosasoccer on Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:24 am 
born to perform.

In my opinion you have too many tricks. Cut it down to your favourite and most effective ones.

:D DW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:19 am 
Penguin

Before you try and set up a routine order Ginn's stuff.

If you were to perform each and every trick you have there effectively and enjoyably, your show would last almost three hours!

For a good show, start with the basics, and find an awesome opener and an awesome closer. The closer should be better than the opener which should be better than everything else. Then, choose 2 or 3 effects that fit together nicely, and stick them in the middle. Now, add jokes, a couple running gags, and some slapstick humor.

After you have set up a show, practice it for a few months so that you can do it all without really thinking about the script. That way when you perform, you can focus your attention on audience control and their reactions in order to make the show better.

You are 12 years old. DO NOT go and perform all those tricks in a kid's show. You will be performing for your peers, not children, because you are not even a teenager yet! Doing a kid's show is not the best place to start, because it takes much more than tricks in order to be sucessful. If you have to start here, start with free shows at various libraries for the rest of summer, then free birthday parties for the rest of the year, then paid performances beginning in 2006. Paid being used very lightly there. Remember, you are 12, I cant imagine a ton of parents wanting to just give $100 to a 12 year old. What in the world will you do with it?

You're trying to just jump in and be a pro, but that takes 5-10 years. Take your time. I've been planning a kids show for 6 months now. I havent performed it anywhere, I've just been planning it all out. I am about to do exactly what I just told you to do, because I have no clue how much my shows will be worth to the parents. Consider their perspective on it before you try it all out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:56 am 
Penguin

The reason why I put so many tricks is because I figured a 6 year old's attention span would not last for 5 ten-minute tricks. Guess I was wrong :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:51 pm 
Penguin

I do a 30 minute show for 4 year olds with only 4 routines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:46 pm 
Penguin

Ive completely changed everything now, Ive made two routines with an opener,closer, and some(4) related tricks in the middle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:17 am 
Penguin

Sosa, post one of the new routines.

The reason that you need so few tricks is that the tricks themselves are not filling up the entire time frame. An example given by sluggo before he left was one for the coloring book:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=77065

His routine advice is about halfway down the page.

That is why the kids' attention doesn't wander. There is always something happening, but it isn't neccessarily always magic. Entertain the kids while you perform, then the magic doesn't have to last anywhere near as long!

Read everything sluggo said in that thread, he offers some very valuable advice that will start to answer many of your questions!