View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Advice
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:25 am 
born to perform.

I've done a couple magic shows for kids 4-8, that went really good. Now I want to work on a show for kids 11-15. I not sure what to expect from this age group. Meaning, should I use props such as my dove pan, change bag, excet.. Or should I focuse more on adult magic such as bill in lemon, 6 dollar repeat, torn and restored napkin, and things like that? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:15 am 
Penguin

11-15 is too wide of an age group. Kids, especialy girls change so much during that time, it would be nearly impossible to satisfy the entire group with one show. I would reccomend focusing on 11-13 first. Honestly, how many 15 year olds want mommy and daddy to hire a magician for their party? It just isn't as appealing to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:29 pm 
born to perform.

I agree. When yer 15, you don't wanna get a magician for the birthday. Ya wanna get laid, drunk, and stoned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:17 pm 
Penguin

I don't know if I agree with all that mentioned above, I just think for a children's show that age group is inappropriate. I know 15 year olds are very interested in magic, they just don't want a magician coming to their birthday party. Perhaps if you had a stage illusion show they would be interested, I know many kids 15-18 who have their parties go to magic acts in town.

Unless you are able to put together a show full of illusions fit for a stage and large audience to be performed in theaters, I wouldn't focus on the age group of 14+.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:00 am 
Team Penguin

You can do magic at a 15 year olds birthday party if you perform correctly. You must have an awesome show full of humor that teenagers would understand. You cannot treat them like kids, and should definately not treat them like adults. It is doable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:46 pm 
Penguin

It is possible to create a show that caters to 15 year olds, but think about the impossibility of marketing that show! 15 year olds don't want a magician coming ot their birthday party, no matter how good his show might be. 15 year olds would go see a magician perform, but they don't want coming to their party, it seems to childish for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:22 pm 
Team Penguin

That all depends on whether or not they had seen his or her birthday performance.

All it would take would be one show to spur off the scenario. Then the rest should take off from there.

I do admit that the market would be slower for that age group, but most definately not impossible. :wink:

Post subject: Birthday Blues
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:49 pm 
Penguin

Everyone here is oriented towards performing for children at birthday parties, but there is a wide range of situations where you would encounter older kids in a (paying) performance situation. One such is the school show, particularly junior & senior high. Another is scouting or recreational center groups.

So let's get off the negative responses about 15 year olds who would never invite you to perform at their birthday parties.

Performing for older kids, young teens to young adults, is pretty much the same as performing for adults. Forget the sucker tricks unless it is the type you could do for adults and get a laugh.

You won't get this age audience yelling and screaming the magic words at your command, so don't even try.

If you use music, it should be what the kids are listening to currently.

Hecklers of this age group can be a problem. Kids this age all know everything and want to prove it to you. That's where your sucker effects can be effective, but you don't present them in quite the same way as you did for the kiddies. You just catch them off guard and wink to make the experience less painful.

Be able to laugh at yourself, or don't even try performing for this older group. If you are too serious, they will deflate your ego in a minute.

I guess I've gone on long enough. The important thing is that you will either you discover you like working for this age and can make it profitable... or you won't and you'll move on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:26 pm 
Team Penguin

This is where I like to have fun...

It is always fun to turn the ego deflation around onto the person who tried to do it to you...

:D