View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Who here performs..
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:34 am 

Mouth Coils at a Kids Show.

I read all about these people's routines but dont see many people using mouth coils

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:06 pm 
Team Penguin

I used to use them, but I stopped when I ran out of three packs.

They cost a good bit to be unreusable...

I order mine from DRobbins Wholesale company by the bulk cause it's much cheaper that way.

The routine I used to do is that of Dan Garrets where you tear a napkin and have a kid do exactly as you do. You dance around a little and then shove the napkin in your mouth. The kid does the same.

Then you pull the napkin out and start pulling the mouth coil as well. (The kid tries and has nothing). When you reach the end, you pretend the coil is stuck on something, so you have the kid slap on your back and you pull it out with a large sponge tooth (which was compressed in your hand the whole time.

Make a few corny jokes like:

"I think that was my wisdom tooth because all of the sudden I am feeling a little dumber!"

"The whole tooth and nothing but the tooth!"

"I can't wait to see what the tooth fairy leaves me for this!"

etc. The jokes are too easy to make up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:06 pm 
Penguin

I do as part of my balloon bit. After a few failed attempts to blow up a balloon I pull 25 feet of colored paper out of my mouth. "No wonder I couldn't blow it up"

Phillip P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:28 pm 

hmm. I like to do them on the offbeat just at restaurants with friends or when company is over etc. the 46 feet ones. lol. Just start coughing or w/e and then pull out 46 feet of colored streamer. Who doesnt like that? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:31 pm 
born to perform.

Do you really perform ppmagic? If I was a kid I would be thinking, ummm "Whats the point of this magician??? This is B-O-R-I-N-G!" there isno comedy in that act, its not really funny, you need a gag at the end or a good line. The impression that you gave me was a kid who is trying to perform but sounds like they don't know a thing... "Ooohhh, nowonder I cwouldn't blow it up! Huh huh!' Seriously thatgs what pops into a childs mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:52 pm 
born to perform.

Hey guys,

I use it as part of my Magic Colouring book. At the begining of the show, I tell the kids how I became a magician. I tell them I went to see a magic show when I was their age and I drew everything I saw inside THIS book. I show the book to be empty and make everything appear with patter and all. At the end I tell them that since I want to show other kids the same "magic book" I need to make every thing vanish. So when the colours are all gone, I make them reappear in my mouth, as 25 feet of colored paper.

Quickmagic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:07 pm 
born to perform.

I do a whole routine and the mouth coils are used with them. It is not a routine that many other magicians perform, so I don't want to tell much about it.
-Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:45 pm 

quickmagic3 wrote:
Hey guys,

I use it as part of my Magic Colouring book. At the begining of the show, I tell the kids how I became a magician. I tell them I went to see a magic show when I was their age and I drew everything I saw inside THIS book. I show the book to be empty and make everything appear with patter and all. At the end I tell them that since I want to show other kids the same "magic book" I need to make every thing vanish. So when the colours are all gone, I make them reappear in my mouth, as 25 feet of colored paper.

Quickmagic

Thats creative. I like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:56 pm 
Penguin

rudedog, for the most part mouthcoils speak for themselves and the coil is a gag for MY BALLOON BIT!

And as far as performing goes; I am a professional performer = my lively hood comes from my skills as an entertainer (magic, comedy, balloon twisting, and a little juggling).

Phillip P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:12 pm 
born to perform.

i use them all the time. It is my closer. i ask the kids at the end what there favorite trick was and 90% of the time it is the mouth coils. i just love the routine that i made with them.

Ben Winter

Post subject: Mouth coils
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:09 pm 
Penguin

Mouth coils are really easy to make. Instead of just using them, try very carefully taking one apart to see how it's made. It's just a roll of tissue paper, sometime several colors of paper glued together, but that's it. In one night and for a couple of bucks worth of tissue paper from the dollar store, you could make a hundred or so while watching TV.

If it's too much like work, then any magic store would be happy to sell you some, but you should really know how to make one in a pinch if you're far away from magic stores and need one in a hurry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:17 pm 
born to perform.

I use Bubble Gum mouth coils. I give 3 kids a piece of gum and have them compete against each other in a stretching contest. The one who can pull the gum the furthest from his/her mouth without breaking the stretched gum gets to go against me. While they are holding their gum stretched out and I start pulling out the mouth coil it is a great chance for a photo shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:11 am 
born to perform.

KyletheGreat wrote:
I used to use them, but I stopped when I ran out of three packs.

They cost a good bit to be unreusable...

I order mine from DRobbins Wholesale company by the bulk cause it's much cheaper that way.

The routine I used to do is that of Dan Garrets where you tear a napkin and have a kid do exactly as you do. You dance around a little and then shove the napkin in your mouth. The kid does the same.

Then you pull the napkin out and start pulling the mouth coil as well. (The kid tries and has nothing). When you reach the end, you pretend the coil is stuck on something, so you have the kid slap on your back and you pull it out with a large sponge tooth (which was compressed in your hand the whole time.

Make a few corny jokes like:

"I think that was my wisdom tooth because all of the sudden I am feeling a little dumber!"

"The whole tooth and nothing but the tooth!"

"I can't wait to see what the tooth fairy leaves me for this!"

etc. The jokes are too easy to make up.

Yes the jokes suck, but lawsuits suck even more. Here's a tip. Don't let the kid shove the napkin into his mouth. Why? It's not worth it to have him choke. Simply shove the coil in your mouth, retaining the pieces. If he starts to do the same, grab the pieces away from him, adding yours to it, therefore you end clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:34 pm 
Team Penguin

Don't come so harsh on me. I performed this routine many more times than you will ever know. No kid has even come close to choking on a napkin. YOU KNOW WHY? Becasue I always pick a kid who is old enough to know. And plus the napkin is not shoved into the back of the throat. It is pushed into the mouth and left hanging half way out.

Don't tell me how to perform my routine and I don' t need your tips.

I take safety and common sense into consideration. I am not one of these common "fall off a turnip truck" magicians. I have been doing kidshows for many years now. Needless to say, I know what i am doing.

If you don't like the routine then that is all and fine, but there is no sense in shooting it down in the rude manner you did.

I wasn't the only one who performed this routine. Several of the great names in kidshows did it as well. Such as Ken Scott and Dan Garret. I do not do the routine any more but If I still used mouth coils, then this would be the one that I would use.

You asked no questions about the routine, you just made you jumped to conclusion and assumed that I was using babies or something. THIS IS REDICULOUS!

I cannot tolerate people like you. And it is very hard to make me angry, but you sir have succeeded!

I guess what I am trying to say is you can take your rudely put tip and shove it up your A$$!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:17 pm 
born to perform.

WOW. that was literally the best comeback ever. we need to tone down the sarcasm and attempts to be funny and up the advice bit. i don't use mouthcoils simply because they are unreuseable.