View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What tricks and how many
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:45 pm 
Penguin

Ok I am booked to do a promotinal show at the library next month and I was wondering I want to work in to larger effects and i have about 70-80 dollars to spend I was thinking PB&J illution, and Zombie ball (i dont know how good zombie ball is if you have it tell me if you like it) the kids will range 4-6 years old I have a series of smaller effects like sponge balls, linking rings, ect but I just want to put in two larger effects so tell me what you think remember my budget is important 70-80 dollars.

Thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:02 am 
born to perform.

Zombie ball is great, but you might not be able to be comfortable performing the trick in that short of time. I have never performed pb&j so I cant comment on that trick. How ever, I just bought vanishing bandana, and everyone loves that trick. Its easy to do and very funny. I would recomened buying that trick especially if you use handkerchiefs or silks in your show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:31 pm 
Penguin

If you can make it fun and entertaining, almost any trick will work.

Post subject: Re: What tricks and how many
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:46 pm 
born to perform.

DaveRobbins wrote:
Ok I am booked to do a promotinal show at the library next month and I was wondering I want to work in to larger effects and i have about 70-80 dollars to spend I was thinking PB&J illution, and Zombie ball

You have less than a month until your show, and you want tp just pick up PB&J and the Zombie Ball and perform them for kids? Yikes! Good luck!

You DO realize that professionals spend at least a few months, if not a year or more, practicing an effect, writing routines, and polishing the performance, before debuting it in a show, right?

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:18 pm 
born to perform.

Dave,
Do you have any experience doing 'shows'? Meaning like the one you will do at the Library. If you do a good job you can do lots of Libraries, if not this will be your last.
What kind of experience do you have? P&J would be a good one but you better get it like now and put together a good skit with it. It's a good trick but without the right patter with it, it's just another trick. Look on E-bay you can get these a lot cheaper sometime along with many other stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:39 pm 
Penguin

pangea's right man

You should not be shopping now for a performance you have booked. All of the tricks you have mentioned are great effects, but they all need work to script, practice, block and act the routine. Not to mention fitting it into your existing show with a great deal of flow.

Never be afraid to turn down a show if you don't think you're ready. It's better to do that and reccommend them another magician than do a bad show. You want to be remembered well.

Not to insinuate that your set isn't good enough for this show. It just sounds like you're trying to flesh it out at the last minute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:46 pm 
Team Penguin

Since you have a month, I do not believe there would be much problem in picking up one effect to add into the show if you get to know the prop really well before you perform it. (THat means practice with it a lot before the show!)

I would not make a habbit of last minute add ins though...they can hurt ya without a good routine and or skill of using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:50 pm 
born to perform.

i agree with them with the practicing thing but...
this http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=802 and this http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=803 (almost the same)
this http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=965
this http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=966
lower budget version of above: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=974

Post subject: Yep
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:15 pm 
Penguin

I already have joker tube(awsome kid show effect) I have mouth coils from my local magic store. hippity hop rabbits seem a little pricy and the mini ones how small are they.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:48 pm 
born to perform.

watch the demo vid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:52 pm 
Penguin

You don't need big things like that for 4-6. My 4-6 show is full of small little funny things, basically a lot of physical comedy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:32 am 
Team Penguin

yes, but yours and his character are probably different also! Character is a big factor when it comes to creating a show and what type of comedy will be used. That works for you but it might not work for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:57 pm 
born to perform.

Dave, let us know what you decided to go with. and let us know how your show goes.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:15 am 
Penguin

bah you judgmental magicians! he asked for a trick not advice on how long it should take him to master an effect. One of my favorite pack small plays big effects for kids shows are the mouth coils, pick that up and come up with a nice routine, the kids'll all go Ewwww and laugh at the same time, great little effect.

Post subject: mouth coils
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:45 pm 
Penguin

yep i resently picked up about 12 mouth coils they are great i diddnt know penguin sold them until now they are much cheaper on the site that at houdini's magic shop.

thanks for all the advice guys