View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:32 pm 
Team Penguin

Michaelrice wrote:
Orlando1991 wrote:
I've also decided to get the Penguin cups & balls, & Carl Andrew Table Hopping Cups & Balls. Are the kids able to see cups & balls at a show.

(From my experience) Young kids don't fully understand some aspects of the cups & balls. Having said that, you still get a good reaction with the surprise ending. But for the most part they don't understand!

If you have a fairly easy to understand routine and something they can follow it should go down ok. Another idea is to add a story to your routine, this would make it more interesting and easier to follow.

Carl Andrews - Table hopping cups & balls.
In this DVD Carl teaches his Cups & Balls and sponge ball routine. I don't think either of these routines are suitable for kids and therefore don't recommend this DVD. (the routines are for adults) What you learn is a routine, not the principal of the cups and balls.

(Example: If I want to play the piano should I learn a tune or should I learn the keys? If I learn a tune I will be able to play that one tune, but if I learn the keys I will be able to play many tunes).

Do you see what I mean? The same goes for magic, if you learn the fundamentals you can do many routines (even create your own) if you learn a routine you can do just that one routine.

If you want to perform cups & balls get something like: Michael Ammar - Cups & Balls. This will go through most of the fundamentals and a few routines!

Young kids will get the cups and balls if you perform it correctly. For instance... Some of you know about my mouse routine. That goes over really well with kids, especially the live mouse production at the end. I have the routine fitted so that it can be done with a 3 cup set or a chop cup. Both are successful with kids. You just have to degrate the effect or improve upon it well enough that the children understand what is going on, and then you are good to go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:13 pm 
born to perform.

d2leo wrote:
Wow man, you should give yourself more time. Don't just get a bunch of gimmicks. If you do this then there will be no routine. It'll just be "Hey here is a pen through a dollar" , "Look! The pictures in this coloring book are colored now", "Check this out, I can make a dollar bill float"

My advice would be to find tricks similar to eachother. I have no experience with kids shows, but I have performed for family. Figure out a way to glide into the next trick.

For example, you could do the basic cups and balls trick, and at the end have sponge balls come out of the cups. Then you make 3 sponge balls turn into 1 giant one in a kids hand. And then make the sponge ball float.

I just made that up, I'm not sure what kids that age enjoy, but just try to include them in the trick. I know they love that because of my 5 year old nephew!

Hope that helps.

Hmm, I'm really not sure why using a lot of gimmicks is going to make your show have no routine.

A lot of kids show tricks use gimmicks. Stratosphere-Gimmick, Die Box-Gimmick, Appearing Cane-Gimmick etc etc.

Anyway good idea about the routine for your Cups and Balls.

Post subject: ';
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:38 pm 
born to perform.

DWMagic,
I agree, gimmicks in kid shows are probably the best tricks to do in such a show. Most of my show consists of gimmicks, they are visual and easy for them to follow espeially if you have the right routine & patter to go with it.
Sleight of hand stuff would be okay if done right, but by no means 'better' for a kids show.
d2Leo- I liked your cups & balls idea, it shows you have a creative mind to put together a routine. Just take that exact same stuff and put it to any trick. You were way off in your other comments.

Post subject: Web not for kids
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:32 am 
Penguin

I did the web for one of my children, and it really freaked him out. Usually, people laugh about it afterwards, but he was really upset. Not a good idea for kids, maybe teenagers would be okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:05 am 
Team Penguin

The web would not be good because it involves a SPIDER!!! Most people do not like SPIDERS. So instead I do a different version that involves a roach. It does not appear scary to anyone but girls and ladies. All guys (kids and adults) find it quite humorous!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:29 pm 
born to perform.

Location: ~looney~ veggies are good when they dance mommy! i like dancing!!!! sjfgdfyfydxyhdfydgpenguinnnnnnnn
You should do appearing flower. It would be a great trick 4 kids. Also do d'lite and floating dollar bill. both effects are awesome for kids shows because what kind of kid doesn't like colored lights and floating objects! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:41 pm 
born to perform.

defintly sponge balls, they are great for kids