View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My first kids show
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:55 pm 
born to perform.

I would just like to share with everyone how my first kids show went. I regularly perform close-up at restaurants and such so I was a bit apprehensive about this show, but needless to say it went very well.

I opened with an intro I made up to get the kids involved and such. I went right into the large hippity hop rabbits. The kids loved it and were very involved. After that I pattered about how late it was and that I'm hungry so I brought with me a snack (go into PB + J illusion). I played the "magician messed up" role and made the two switch places while I pattered about how I should practice more (seeming oblivious to the magic).

Just thought I'd share a portion. All in all there were 10 effects (which included sponge balls, some 'good for kids' card tricks and more - some much shorter than others, and vice versa) that lasted 30 minutes. I was payed $75 and handed out many business cards. It was a great experience and hope to do it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:08 am 
Penguin

good job streetwolf. Very well done. Keep at it just one question did you throw in any jokes at all?? not really tooo important. But good job and keep doing it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:35 am 
born to perform.

drhobo wrote:
good job streetwolf. Very well done. Keep at it just one question did you throw in any jokes at all?? not really tooo important. But good job and keep doing it

I ad libbed a lot of it...I had no jokes pre-written. I feel I work best when I get to improv a decent amount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:24 pm 

3 minutes per trick. That's quick, did the kids have time to understand what was happening? I use 4 effects in 30 minutes, so just wondering how the kids reacted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:45 pm 
born to perform.

Paddy,
I have come to the conclusion that there are 2 main types of children magic shows. Some are fast paced, and have many tricks. And some, like yours, use only a few tricks. Both are entertaining, but the one using fewer tricks, lets you connect with the audience. And the one using many tricks, gives the guyer more for their money, more magic. Both are good, and I agree, 3 minutes is very short per trick...
-Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:26 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
3 minutes per trick. That's quick, did the kids have time to understand what was happening? I use 4 effects in 30 minutes, so just wondering how the kids reacted.

Like I said before, some were longer than others. You can't take 30 minutes and divide it by 10 to get the length of each effect. Where one would be 6-7 minutes, another would be 2-3, etc. Also, 2 of them were more or less transitions that also is perceived as magic. All the kids reacted in amazement and were VERY excited and involved throughout the entire performance. The parents as well were extremely pleased and asked me for business cards.

I've performed several shows before, but never a kids show. I came into it prepared knowing what to do. I didn't pull out 10 effects lasting 3 minutes each just to fill time and make money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:40 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:

With time all performers learn the art of performing. We all know magic, but performing is something different. I started in the high numbe, and am now down to the low numbers in routines. With time, your 10 will turn into 5 or 6.

Post subject: Let's focus
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:18 pm 
Penguin

Let's focus on the positive: you caused no harm. The kids had a good time, YOU had a good time. The kids got a good show, you got paid and passed out business cards. You learned a few things you can apply when your advertising begins to bring in more shows of the same type. Congratulations!

(Some of these guys can be so "nit-picky!")

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:19 am 
born to perform.

skate13 wrote:
Paddy,
I have come to the conclusion that there are 2 main types of children magic shows. Some are fast paced, and have many tricks. And some, like yours, use only a few tricks. Both are entertaining, but the one using fewer tricks, lets you connect with the audience. And the one using many tricks, gives the guyer more for their money, more magic. Both are good, and I agree, 3 minutes is very short per trick...
-Tyler

Skate13,
I have to disagree with your coment about giving the buyer more for their money, (more tricks). It's the performance they are paying for not to get as many magic tricks as you can into the show.
I don't think Paddy was criticizing him just stating a point. Ten tricks is a heck of a lot for one show. But it sounds as if Wolf did well and it was his first show & he did his homework. Each one will get better AND easier.
Pspellbinder,
If you want to learn to do it right the first time you should listen to people being nick-picky. It was sound advise, take it or leave it.